Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sort of vanity post here asking for information and advice. I have to travel to Minnesota this week for a funeral. I will travel from Kentucky to Indiana, no problems there, then on to Illinois and then Wisconsin before arriving in Minnesota. What is the best way to carry in Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota and be legal?

·
Registered
103 Posts
From what I have heard and read about the 'Great State of Illinois' (and it is probably the same for Wisconsin) is when traveling thru these states, your firearm better be in a locked gun save, ammo in a separate locked gun safe in your vehicle. God forbid you get caught with it anywhere in Cooke county (Chicago) area. I understand it's jail first, then maybe question.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For the love of Pete,get all the information you can about the laws in both Illinois and Wisconson.I`ve heard horror stories about the convoluted thinking in those two states.You could end up in a world of trouble by doing something that is common practice elsewhere.Be careful!!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
All i can tell ya is in Minnesota....don't carry at all.

I just got back from there and had called the Sheriff's office before I went. You CAN carry a knife...no limit on the length, and Tasers allowed also.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
All i can tell ya is in Minnesota....don't carry at all.

I just got back from there and had called the Sheriff's office before I went. You CAN carry a knife...no limit on the length, and Tasers allowed also.
If you have a KY permit you should be good to carry in MN.http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf
If not, leave your firearms at home .

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Wis no cc, must be unloaded in a case when gun is in a vehicle. I believe it can be dismantled as well.
OC probably legal; but, out of stater may not find it not the thing to do.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
If you take a gun with you into IL, it may be your own furneral...sort of...:ziplip::blink:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will take this advice from Johnny Cash:

Don't take your guns to town son
Leave your guns at home Bill
Don't take your guns to town

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Bypass Illinois.

55N to St. Louis and then North on 61 through Missouri.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Now that you've got "opinions" here's the real answer for IL:
To legally transport a firearm in IL the firearm must be in a case and unloaded. Ammo can be carried in the same case as the gun altho ammo does not have to be in any kind of case. Mags can be loaded and carried in the same case as the gun however they cannot be inserted in the gun. Empty mags can be inserted in the gun. Guns do not have to be in a locked container but they do have to be in a case which is defined by statute as being a container specifically designed to carry a gun, completely enclose the gun, and have some method of closure such as zipper, tie, buckle, velcro, etc. Nothing in the statutes about it being locked. According to IL statutes the gun can be carried anywhere in the vehicle however to fully comply with FOPA the gun needs to be placed where it is inaccessible to the occupants.
Go to Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions .
Disregard any reference to FOID. You are a non-IL resident therefore FOID does not affect you and has no bearing on you transporting firearms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts