Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be traveling to China in a couple months. What tactical (or non tactical) pen do you recommend? Also, what else do you suggest that I can bring on the plane?
Anyone familiar with China? Should I bring my EDC knife in the checked baggage and carry while there? Not sure what laws they have there or if they have metal detectors at train stations or what not.
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Reactions: RolandD

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
The OP asked a simple question and didn't deserve the snide replies. <<< unwarranted comment removed - Smitty

I would be very cautious about bringing anything that could be construed as a weapon unless you have very clear information. Check with the Chinese consulate in your area regarding bringing knives and other 'weapons' into the country. You don't want to jeopardize your adoption.

Keep your situational awareness (SA) up and stay alert. Good luck on your adoption and return safely! There's some info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#China.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
The OP asked a simple question and didn't deserve the snide replies.

I would be very cautious about bringing anything that could be construed as a weapon unless you have very clear information. Check with the Chinese consulate in your area regarding bringing knives and other 'weapons' into the country. You don't want to jeopardize your adoption.

Keep your situational awareness (SA) up and stay alert. Good luck on your adoption and return safely! There's some info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#China.
^^^there's your answer^^^

Personally, I wouldn't bring anything weaponlike because getting pinched by their police is a whole lot different than over here, generally speaking... The one thing they can't take from you is your brain so use it to the best of your abilities.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've heard the TSA is beginning to crack down on tactical pens as a whole. I bought a basic, stainless body pen that's very sturdy, and wasn't a fortune so if I lose it I won't lose sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Stainless-Ballpoint-Retractable-29411/dp/B002L6RB80/ref=sr_1_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1466691219&sr=1-1&keywords=zebra+pen
I carry the same, every day. It has a nice weight, writes nice, and is very sturdy. I'm sure it would function as a weapon, every bit as well as a 'tactical' pen.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I would stay away from anything "tactical". A Cross pen, a hard back Ernest Hemingway novel, and a good hickory cane for a bum knee:wink: would be a good start. Once you get where you are going a padlock and a good cotton sock might serve you well!:image035:

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
Having made several trips to China, keep it clean. No weapons of any kind, period!
Heck they will confiscate a Bible as well. Be very careful of your actions and you'll be fine.
People are curious and friendly. Authorities, not so. Mind your P's & Q's and all will be well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having made several trips to China, keep it clean. No weapons of any kind, period!
Heck they will confiscate a Bible as well. Be very careful of your actions and you'll be fine.
People are curious and friendly. Authorities, not so. Mind your P's & Q's and all will be well.
Where have you traveled? We are planning on flying into Hong Kong and taking high speed train to Changsha in the Hunan province, then Hengyang and then Guangzhou.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You can probably buy something that can be used as a weapon that looks pretty innocent at the first shop you come to. Good luck with your adoption.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
A buddy of mine who travels by plane almost constantly, has a stainless steel pen , takes a wooden cane ( hickory) with a MD order for use ... He once fended off a attacker with a rolled up magazine....
Never any problems with airlines .....

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
A buddy of mine who travels by plane almost constantly, has a stainless steel pen , takes a wooden cane ( hickory) with a MD order for use ... He once fended off a attacker with a rolled up magazine....
Never any problems with airlines .....
You beat me to it with the rolled up magazine. It is a darn effective weapon if you know how to use it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Personally I would leave just about everything home. it's unfortunate but foreign jails and laws are a lot different than ours in addition you going to a communist country. Need I say more. Do what you got to do. Take care whatever business you have to do concerning the adoption. Then I would get out of Dodge ASAP. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear it's just my opinion. Good luck with the adoption. Be safe

·
Registered
417 Posts
I like wasp's suggestion. Don't think I'd worry about flying with anything. Congrats OP, hope all goes well for you!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts