Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be traveling to Atlanta in March to attend a convention. Can anyone tell me if it's legal to carry concealed downtown and also if it's legal to carry while traveling on the MARTA?

Thanks,

AL

·
Registered
40,239 Posts
Don't quote me, but I think carrying on MARTA is a no-no. Seems I saw some big controversy on that. I don't nwo if GA respects NC CCW or not, Fl does. But I do beileve you can keep a loaded firearm in your car regardless. Best to get on some GA websites that cover that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
To start with, I was wondering what you did wrong to be sentanced to going to Atlanta!

Try this link.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Georgia carry laws are so messed up you are just about on your own.

North Carolina does have reciprocity with Georgia.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To start with, I was wondering what you did wrong to be sentanced to going to Atlanta!

Try this link.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Georgia carry laws are so messed up you are just about on your own.

North Carolina does have reciprocity with Georgia.
HaHa!

I used to go there at least 3 times a year and spend about a week downtown before moving on to another training location in Ga. In my previous postilion I could not carry my weapon but this trip is a personal trip for our business so I'm definitely carrying.

So far it looks like carrying downtown is no problem. I'm still researching the MARTA though as there seems to be a lawsuit ongoing as we speak about a guy who was stopped and searched when he stepped onto MARTA property with a weapon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it looks like overall in GA I can carry on public transportation but I'm still researching the Atlanta MARTA to cover my rear end.

Carrying deadly weapons on public transportation: Except for those with a valid license to carry, it is a felony offense to carry a deadly weapon onto a commercial airline, rail vehicle, or bus. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any privately owned aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle if the owner of such aircraft or vehicle has given his or her express permission to board the aircraft or vehicle with the item. Carrying into a public building that houses the public transportation is also ok if you have a valid license to carry. In order to carry on a commercial airline, the firearm must be unloaded lock in a case and separate from its ammunition and checked in with the transportation company. It is still against Federal Law to carry a firearm into the secure areas (Past the TSA metal detectors) of the airport(16-12-123, 16-12-127)

EDIT: Looks like I'm good to go. It seems that Atlanta enacted a law a little over a year ago allowing carry on the MARTA. Guess what, crime actually dropped (IMAGINE THAT). :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
you can carry on MARTA but if spotted expect to be detained.... as for right now they have one the civil lawsuit filed by GCO...although the court was silent about what would happen if the person was OC maybe they couldnt stop you...no idea

Also Atlanta will arrest you for airport carry even though its legal to do so....

you can carry downtown as long as it isnt a Public Gathering....church,govt buildings,political rallies and bars along with sport events and anything else that a cop wants to claim one is.... i have OCed in atlanta no problem and CCed no problem.....

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
you can carry on MARTA but if spotted expect to be detained.... as for right now they have one the civil lawsuit filed by GCO...although the court was silent about what would happen if the person was OC maybe they couldnt stop you...no idea

Also Atlanta will arrest you for airport carry even though its legal to do so....

you can carry downtown as long as it isnt a Public Gathering....church,govt buildings,political rallies and bars along with sport events and anything else that a cop wants to claim one is.... i have OCed in atlanta no problem and CCed no problem.....
This is the correct answer.

Keep it covered especially on MARTA and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I figured.

Unfortunately from the wording I'm not sure if is legal for me to carry while attending the function (franchisee convention). The thing that confuses me is the wording "events where the general public gather".

While the general public will not have access to the convention activities I'm not sure if the franchisees would be considered "General Public" in this instance.

·
Registered
934 Posts
That's what I figured.

Unfortunately from the wording I'm not sure if is legal for me to carry while attending the function (franchisee convention). The thing that confuses me is the wording "events where the general public gather".

While the general public will not have access to the convention activities I'm not sure if the franchisees would be considered "General Public" in this instance.
its doesnt sound like a public gathering....but the only place that is definitely legal in GA is McDonalds according to current case law......

GCO members carried to our convention and it wasnt a P.G. because the general public wasnt invited fwiw... IANAL.... ymmv

personally id carry concealed and say nothing

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
A "convention" would be considered a public gathering (PG) if it's open to the general public. Like Doc and rmodel stated, keep it covered and you'll be just fine. The only advice I can add is pay attention to where your at and know where your going. Have a plan if your in doubt of the legality where you'll be carrying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If i remember correctly there is a sign in every marta car that says no weapons. Under it it says except license holders. That was about 2 years ago though...

·
Registered
934 Posts
If i remember correctly there is a sign in every marta car that says no weapons. Under it it says except license holders. That was about 2 years ago though...

carrying concealed is a what the Fed Judge said abotu carrying on MARTA Concealed....
“A person commits the [crime] of
carrying a pistol without a license when he has or carries on or about his person,
outside of his home, motor vehicle, or place of business, any pistol or revolver without
having on his person a valid license . . . .” O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128(a) (emphasis
added). Those cases are, therefore, not relevant to the crime of boarding with a
concealed weapon or the crime of carrying a concealed weapon.
Because a Georgia firearms license is an affirmative defense to the crime of
boarding with a concealed weapon and the crime of carrying a concealed weapon, it
does not matter if there was no reason to suspect that Raissi did not have a Georgia
firearms license. After Raissi concealed his handgun and started walking toward the
MARTA station, he had committed all of the acts required for the crime of boarding
with a concealed weapon and the crime of carrying a concealed weapon. Officer
Nicholas saw this happen. The officers were not then required “to explore and
eliminate every theoretically plausible claim of innocence,” including affirmative
defenses, before making an investigative stop of Raissi.

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I just got back from a trip to Acworth/Atlanta. Because of CCW advice on this forum, me being from Ohio, I separated my Kel-Tec from those two loaded magazines, putting the pistol inside the trunk of the car to keep me legal, before crossing the Tennessee border. I regret that Ohio and Georgia have this CCW ******* contest, during which out-of-state people may be pestered and arrested by police, and maybe even prosecuted later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts