Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to say this is my first post and I hope everyone has enjoyed their holidays.

So I currently live in Washington state, I'm 21 years old and I have my Concealed Pistol License and I carry every day of my life. My little brother is going to be graduating from Navy basic training soon in Great Lakes, IL at the end of January and we are going for a few days to see him. I know quite a bit of shootings happen and just happened in Chicago over Christmas, and we plan on trying to go explore the city with him while there. But I would feel more comfortable being able to bring my pistol, but I've tried researching and have a hard time finding anything about Illinois' cpl laws and reciprocity because from what I understand they recently have been able to get a permit. And I know Washington State has a bunch of states they allow permits in but their site is down right now.

So I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about this to help me out a little bit. Thank you guys

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Your Washington license is worthless in Illinois. If you want to bring your pistol along for the drive, I would recommend leaving it somewhere west of the Illinois state line. Here is a page that will answer many of your questions:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: SIGP250

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
First off I would like to say this is my first post and I hope everyone has enjoyed their holidays.

So I currently live in Washington state, I'm 21 years old and I have my Concealed Pistol License and I carry every day of my life. My little brother is going to be graduating from Navy basic training soon in Great Lakes, IL at the end of January and we are going for a few days to see him. I know quite a bit of shootings happen and just happened in Chicago over Christmas, and we plan on trying to go explore the city with him while there. But I would feel more comfortable being able to bring my pistol, but I've tried researching and have a hard time finding anything about Illinois' cpl laws and reciprocity because from what I understand they recently have been able to get a permit. And I know Washington State has a bunch of states they allow permits in but their site is down right now.

So I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about this to help me out a little bit. Thank you guys
The Great Lakes Navel Station is in Lake County about 45 minutes north of downtown Chicago. You would not be able to carry on base even if you had an IL permit. Chicago is in Cook County which also restricts carry most places even with an IL permit. IL does not have reciprocity with your state.I would leave the gun behind for your trip.

If you stay on the north side of Chicago and downtown (the loop) it is relatively safe. Most of the large buildings and good restaurants are on the north side of the city or downtown loop areas. Some museums along Lake Shore Drive are technically on the south side but are mostly okay areas during the day. The gangs stay in their hoods way to the south and west of anywhere worth seeing. Drive or take cabs and you should be fine. You could take buses and the EL, sort of fun if you have never ridden an elevated train or subway but do it on routes north of Wacker Drive and probably best to use during the day.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Ironically my grandnephew is graduating from Great Lakes in a few weeks!

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Nup..No Weapons allowed there unless you have an Illinois license,they respect no one. Hopefully that'll change after January 20th. Welcome to our site,Good Luck and Stay Safe there!!!.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
No weapons at all in Chi town

Trust me on that ... OC spray is ok ..Skip knifes there knifes lawsare very suck ( most people carry one but still )

Your CCP etc is worthless ..But you can carry in your car just cant take out of the car with a ccp so there is that at least

·
Registered
426 Posts
I echo what has been said already. Illinois has no reciprocity at all (ridiculous as that is). Great Lakes naval base is in as safe of area as you're going to find. Site seeing downtown and around the museums are safe during the day (just ignore the wacko's you might encounter). Stay away from the West Side and the far South Side like the Gresham and Englewood neighborhoods. That is where the gangs are and it's not safe for anyone. It is unfortunate that in the area's where you need to carry you cannot without a IL. CCW permit. Congrats to your brother and have a safe trip.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
It is really a shame. Might I suggest, as soon as the hat fly's, get the hell out of Chicago? Never look back.

You would be much better off going to Springfield and visiting President Lincolns tomb, the war memorial, Lincoln museum and library, Dana Thomas house built by Frank Loyd Wright and Lincoln 's home.

Chicago is one of the few cities, that if you get honked at while driving, you better honk back. They are testing you and you're at greater risk of being shot if you do not honk back. But with out of state tags, you do not want to be the first to honk.

Grrr, but there is so much good food, places to eat, things to see and great places to go in Chicago.......have fun, relax and enjoy Chicago while using your heads.

I have a wonderful Aunt who lives in Chicago. Took our family there to check out the University of Chicago. Six children 18 to 6 yrs old. We went everywhere by day, Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Shedd Aquarium, The arts and Museum district, China Town even. Never had an issue.

Know the gun laws and leave your weapon stored safely as the law allows.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Congrats to little brother for stepping up to defend our country. Welcome to D.C. I would leave your carry gun this trip.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Chicago is one of the few cities, that if you get honked at while driving, you better honk back. They are testing you and you're at greater risk of being shot if you do not honk back. But with out of state tags, you do not want to be the first to honk.
I've been in Chicago for upwards of 60 years and this is the first I ever heard of horn honking etiquette, LOL. Horn honking or flashing ones headlights as a test is an urban legend except perhaps inside gang member circles.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I've been in Chicago for upwards of 60 years and this is the first I ever heard of horn honking etiquette, LOL. Horn honking or flashing one's headlights as a test is an urban legend except perhaps inside gang member circles.
LOL, every intersection people were getting honked at and numerous times per honk and honkee. No pun intended. People driving up on the curb to squeeze by waiting for cars so they could turn right on red or even bolt straight through a red light. It was hilarious. Even our children were amazed while sitting at red lights watching and hearing the honking drivers. Mainly in the downtown district.

I just figured that was the main reason they had outlawed guns there. Too many angry honking G.S. fatalities & gunshot wounds at intersections. :rofl:

Chicago really needs the tourist commerce. It really is a wonderful city. I hope they can get everything calmed down with the gangs etc. read this earlier today.

Bloody Christmas weekend: More than 40 shot, 11 killed in Chicago | Fox News

Reactions: jttar

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here's a long shot idea - take your handgun with you to the nearest Wisconsin border town with a Greyhound bus station, lock it in a locker while you're in Illinois and pick it up on your way home. Perhaps contact local PD in said border town(s) to explain that you want to obey Illinois laws but also prefer to not travel unarmed and ask if they can suggest a secure location while you're in Chicago. Like I said, it's a long shot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
rcsoftexas, that IS a pretty accurate description of the downtown intersections. I've grown numb to it but there are times it does get to me and I have to calm myself.

The whole Democratic party that runs the city needs to get the boot and get someone in there that can clean out those rat's nests neighborhoods without the fear of being called prejudice or profiling. It is an embarrassment to me that they let these thugs continue to shoot, maim and kill each other and innocent's with non registered or stolen guns and the city official cry for more stricter gun laws. How far up their behinds are their heads to think these scums are going to ever obey gun laws. Instead they make it harder for the law abiding citizens to obtain weapons and defend themselves against the same thugs that the city officials let exist. Almost all the high number of shootings that the nation hears about in Chicago are black on black shootings and are in the same neighborhoods. Apparently, black lives DON'T matter to these gangs unless of course a non black LEO has to shoot one of them. Sorry for the rant. I'm stepping off my soap box now. :mad:

Joe

·
Registered
898 Posts
The number of murders in Chicago this year is on course to top that of Los Angeles and New York City combined.

That is just insane!!!!

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Congrats to your brother on his gradutation. I hope his stay in Great Lakes is short because that place sucks.

lol. when I was up there I was absolutely amazed at how many people were constantly honking their horns.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You won't be able to carry in Illinois. Don't sweat it. Take him downtown. Hit the Berghoff for lunch. Depending what he's into there's cool shopping on the Mag mile (Apple Store, etc.) Cool museums, Navy Pier, etc. You'll be perfectly fine downtown.

What does he enjoy? Drop me a PM and I'll point you at some places.

MrTimm

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Here's a long shot idea - take your handgun with you to the nearest Wisconsin border town with a Greyhound bus station, lock it in a locker while you're in Illinois and pick it up on your way home. Perhaps contact local PD in said border town(s) to explain that you want to obey Illinois laws but also prefer to not travel unarmed and ask if they can suggest a secure location while you're in Chicago. Like I said, it's a long shot.
I was once up north and wanted to cross over into Canada, but had a handgun. I found a LGS that for a small fee would hold it. DR

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Chicago is the murder capital of the USA BUT only certain areas are dangerous. Stay away from them and you'll be fine. Same for ANY other big city (even the safer ones).

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Yep to echo above downtown during the day is normal safe ...Lot of cops as the mayor does not the torist to be shanked ... At night esp navy peir or south or west side nope and nope

1 - 20 of 33 Posts