Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the family to Mount Rainier this week, and I wondered about taking my carry weapon. I currently possess a Texas CHL, but apparently Washington does NOT have reciprocity with Texas for conceal carry...and it seems you can't even have a loaded weapon in your automobile.

However, it is my understanding that "open carry" is legal in Washington.

Can I open carry my weapon in Seattle?

Can I open carry my weapon in Mount Rainier State Park?

Or...should I just leave my guns at home and trust the authorities to protect me and my family?

Any advice is greatly appreciate

·
Registered
631 Posts
Washington State law, as I understand it and I am not a lawyer is you can open carry as long as you are not "inciting fear". Walking through Seattle wont fly. The Eastern side of the state they are pretty laid back, I used to live in Naches and Ellensburg. My friend open carried in a Walmart in Spokane. The only kicker is you cannot have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Last time I read up on the law was about 8 years ago, and my interpretation is you can have a gun in the vehicle say the glove box, or dash, but it cannot be loaded.

I was just in Washington State last week visiting my parents, and I played it safe. I left the guns in the trunk of my car. On the way home when I saw "Welcome to Idaho" I pulled over and kept a loaded firearm in my glove box for the remaining 5 hour drive home.

Oh ya did I mention I am not a lawyer?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Can you please elaborate on "Walking through Seattle won't fly."
I'm sure that means don't open carry there. If you insist or have to go where you can't carry, keep it in. Your trunk or stores area separated from the Ammo. Carry where and when you are legal. When you can't carry you have to make do with legal size pocket knife, pepper spray, sturdy but not to big flashlight, anything you can use to assist you in staying safe. If you have a camper, once it's set up, it's your residence and you could have you Firearm in there loaded. Staying at a hotel, just make sure there are no no guns signs and you could have it in side. I also am not a Lawyer and only know what I read (or think I know). You can also check on Handgunlaw.us

·
Registered
631 Posts
Walking through the streets of Seattle with an openly carried firearm would be a worse idea than littering plastic shopping bags. Guns are evil in Seattle, along with plastic shopping bags. Legally you are not breaking the law, but you will have the cops on you fast.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good luck seeing the mountain this weekend. Clouds have moved in. When it does you can drive all the way to Paradise and find yourself in fog with no vew of the mountain. Check the mountain conditions first. As far as firearms in the park, long guns are never aloud, and hand guns only if you have a Permit to carry. Exception I believe is the Pacific Crest Trail.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've lived in the NW 98% of my life, OP. I can tell you that legal or not, there's no way I'd ever consider walking around open carry in the Seattle-Tacoma metro area. Here's the thing about WA. It's a really rural state overall, unless you're in the Seattle-Tacoma metro area, then it's the same as any big city on the west coast. Seattle and several other cities would love to ban open carry, but the law doesn't allow for that for some reason. Not saying anything would happen, but I think the odds are against you having a decent vacation if you did. This is just friendly advice, as in all things, do as you see fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have decided that since I do not own any OWB holsters for my smaller pistols, and therefore I would have to take my Sig P220....coupled with the hassle to check a firearm through Southwest Airlines...I will be going to Washington unarmed.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck seeing the mountain this weekend. Clouds have moved in. When it does you can drive all the way to Paradise and find yourself in fog with no vew of the mountain. Check the mountain conditions first.
That's just AWESOME...more good news. :(

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I've never had a problem OC'in in Settle. Never carried open downtown, but I used to live in North Seattle, and regularly walked from my house on 140th to Greenlake with not trouble at all.

I've also walked around OC on Cap Hill. Got a couple sideways looks, but nobody seemed to care. And in all the above situations, there were patrol cars out and about. They either didn't notice, or didn't care.

I usually CC, the north Seattle and Greenlake stuff was pretty regular because I was exercise-walking, but I'm not an "OC-er" per se. I do see people OCing every now and then, some obviously making a point and others that seem to just be in their daily situation. They don't ever seem nervous, so I would guess they don't have any issues either. That's been in Seattle, the Eastside, and Snohomish County (Lynnwood mostly).

tl;dr: People are exaggerating, OC is fine. Just be prepared to leave business if asked.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The western part of the state (which controls the whole state) has been brainwashed about the evil of firearms. If you open carry in downtown Seattle you will have someone call the police and you have to explain yourself.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
apparently Washington does NOT have reciprocity with Texas for conceal carry...and it seems you can't even have a loaded weapon in your automobile.

seems like this pretty much sums it up then. Just leave your gun at home and trust the authorities. One less thing to keep up with while away from home.
It will almost be like before there were cell phones and you had to depend on pay phones to make a phone call. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts