Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy am I gettin' old and cynical!

Was thinking of kids going the rounds ''trick-or-treating'' soon and know what - all I could think of was how good that might be as a ''ploy'' for bad guys to make it easily to your front door! Give them an edge anyways, if they were intent on charging in.

I am always carrying but no one else in the family is - despite best efforts to get wife to be more conscientious. It is rarely me who is there to go to the door. Shucks, am I suspicious.

Maybe I am paranoid after all! :smile:

Possibly tho a night's sleep will calm me down :wink:

·
Administrator
144,204 Posts
Actually Chris

It actually did happen in PGH but, some years ago.
Older "kids" using Trick or Treat to gain entry into a home.
Maybe more than one home...I don't remember.
And I guess if wearing masks they are pretty hard to identify after the fact.
Door to Door Trick or Treat is fast becoming a memory in my borough.
I still give out candy but, out on the front porch.

Parents no longer wanting to have their kids eating stuff coming out of unknown/strange houses is also a factor.

My area is mostly just immediate neighbors taking their kids to a select few known households in a one or two block area.

Years ago...I would take my little nieces Trick or Treating but, I would just throw all the collected stuff out & replace it with bags of candy that I bought myself.
Call me paranoid...but, some folks are truly sick in the head & hate kids.

All the local police patrol cars & the firetrucks are out during the Trick or Treat time & the borough has the time limit on it set to 2 hours.

It's just not the same these days.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
If Betty dressed as Trinity from the Matrix opens the door, the black plastic gun on her hip is not a prop.

I remember when I was a kid, mom took a break and let me pass out the candy. So I was left alone to open the door to strangers. One man, a non-costumed teenager, shoved the trick-or-treaters out of the way and forced half his body inside. I recoiled, but he grabbed half the contents of my treat basket, enough to scare lil' ol' me. :frown: He was just after the candy, but mom was upset at herself for putting me in that position.

I'm not doing Halloween this year; I've got a costume party to go anyway. (Trinity's gun will be unloaded in case someone wants to play some retention games, but she'll have something discreetly tucked away, just in case.)

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
just keep your favorite pistol in the bottom of the treat bowl , that's what I do. J/K. And Betty would probably make a better Lara Croft, HK's and all.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
There is no door to door trick or treat in my neighborhood. So no worries there. I haven't lived in a neighborhood for 8 years that had door to door trick or treaters.

Maybe dress up as a cowboy and ala Betty the guns aren't props? :wink:

-Scott-

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P95, Just curious,how many threads have you started in the past year ? ----------
RSSZ - way too many :rolleyes:. I dare not count - sorry if it's excessive! :tongue:

I do tho like to keep a forum alive and try and stimulate some discussion, with the occasional chuckle thrown in too when it works! :wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Chris, Thanks for the warning. I hate to say this but I never thought of the BGs using Begger's Night for evil. My GF lives in an area where a Mickey Mart was held up and the clerk shot. This happened no more than 100 yards from her home. Perhaps, I might "Volunteer" to help.

She thinks that because she has 4 dogs the BGs will leave her alone. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
You're missing the obvious: It's Haloween! Dress like a policeman(perfectly legal, in your home)......and don't carry Airsoft in your holster. :wink:

·
Registered
868 Posts
This trick or treat thing is getting old! What parent is going to let their child chew on all that sugar and junk??? The teens come around later and grab what they can and its simply money down the tube in my opinion. I don't want to do candy but the OIC indicates its a good thing for the kids. Bah humbug!!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
We've managed to take what was one of the best kid nights of all time and ruin it in my opinion. I loved Halloween as a kid, and loved taking my kids around when they were old enough. I'm glad they got to experience it before it was ruined.

As for being attacked while handing out candy, I carry even in the home so I think I am prepared if trouble were to start. Remember, paranoia is bad, caution is good.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
P95, Nothing negative implied. Just wondering if your taking any special meds that inhance the "what if" part of the brain.--------

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wondering if your taking any special meds
Haha - no, the ''what if'' center is probably a genetic quirk or similar :silly:.

The questioning -- possibly over-fertile mind :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
22,291 Posts
KC135 said:
Look up the Halloween murders in Indiana. It is a real horror story.
Not the Little Bo Peep murders?

·
Administrator
144,204 Posts
WANTED FOR MURDER
HOME INVASION
PINK RIBBON STRANGULATION

Petite Caucasian FEMALE
Sandy blonde ~curly hair
Ruddy Cheeks - wearing White Bonnet
Known Alias: "Bo" Peeps
Last seen in Indiana.
Should be considered to be armed
and extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a woman today tell me she used to be a collections agent and went to peoples houses at halloween to collect.

You never know who is gonna show up at your door that night.

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
That pretty funny QK. I love it. :biggrin:

As for halloween, I still enjoy it. I guess that I am lucky to still live in an area of this country that I can do so. Now that my son is too old to trick or treat, my wife and I look forward to staying home to pass out candy to all the kids in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I don't live in a fantasy world. I know anything can happen. I just don't let fear dictate how I live. "Expect the best, prepare for the worst".

Sorry didn't mean to get so deep, FortyFive kinda struck a nerve I guess.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Plenty room under there for Uzi,MAC-10,sawed off double,etc. I would be on my guard in that area of the country. Side note: In Singapore there's men(?) that look like that.----------

1 - 20 of 25 Posts