Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I should have a revolver just because so I shot a few.
Ladysmith: awful.
SP101: much better
Taurus (I forget what model) pretty good

I'm not sold though. I grew up with semi autos, so I'd get a revolver just to round out my collection but I like shooting my sa and da/sa pistols better.

It was good to try something new though.

·
Registered
43,674 Posts
I haven't broken down to the urge to have a nice S&W wheelie yet but will readily admit I've never shot a semi as accurately as I have a Ruger Blackhawk.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
What model Lady Smith did you try?

My S&W 65-2 has about the smoothest trigger of any pistol I have ever shot.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I love both of my SP101s and would highly recommend them. But I do prefer my 3" model over my 2" model.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
why not try a S&W K-frame? 2-1/2" for CC. 4" for a more all around gun. 3", if you can find one, for a good compromise.

very smooth trigger, nice size. better not to feed it a steady diet of magnum ammo - stick to standard pressure, +P, and even +P+.

if you can't find a K-frame you like, or you really want a new gun, try the Smith L-frame, which is slightly larger, but able to take magnum ammo all day long.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Really? Wow, I mean the list you put is absolutely backwards for me.
Agreed.

I have 4 S&W wheelies and one SP101...and the Smiths are like driving an Escalade while the Ruger is like driving a Hummer. Both are exceptional in their own right .

My opinion...Smiths have the best triggers while Rugers are beastly tough.

Taurus...I bought one once, and ended up giving it away.

·
Registered
563 Posts
why not try a S&W K-frame? 2-1/2" for CC. 4" for a more all around gun. 3", if you can find one, for a good compromise.

very smooth trigger, nice size. better not to feed it a steady diet of magnum ammo - stick to standard pressure, +P, and even +P+.

if you can't find a K-frame you like, or you really want a new gun, try the Smith L-frame, which is slightly larger, but able to take magnum ammo all day long.
Did you mean to use .38 in +P and +P+? I don't think .357 in 158gr loads are normally a problem. My understanding is problems can be encountered using 125gr ammo due to higher pressures on the forcing cone. .38s to do not reach the same high levels.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I love my SP101 2.4 and S&W Mod 60 ported for a fast trip to the store S&W 642 ported

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Did you mean to use .38 in +P and +P+? I don't think .357 in 158gr loads are normally a problem. My understanding is problems can be encountered using 125gr ammo due to higher pressures on the forcing cone. .38s to do not reach the same high levels.
I have heard the same in regards to K frame Smiths. I have a 66-1 6" .357 that I bought used several months ago. VERY nice gun and the trigger in single action is so light and smooth that it's on the brink of being a hair trigger.

Anyway...the K frame has a forcing cone that is flattened on the bottom to accommodate the crane, therefore it is considered a weak point by some and shooting a steady diet of 125g full house magnums is considered a possible source of forcing cone erosion and eventual failure. I have been told to shoot 158g ammo due to lower velocities and pressures to keep said erosion from happening. Then on the other side of the coin...I have been told that it takes THOUSANDS of rounds of the higher pressure magnums to cause any kind of an issue...and to just shoot my gun.

I don't shoot it that often, but I just stick to the 158g magnums anyway.

Now you can get an L-frame and blast whatever magnum load you prefer until the cows come home! A 4" 686 would be a very formidable weapon and quite desirable.

Ruger...built like a Mack truck and can take whatever you want to dish out.

·
Registered
15,251 Posts
My Model 13-3 was made in the 1980's and has seen many thousands of magnums with no issues.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I feel like I should have a revolver just because so I shot a few.
Ladysmith: awful.
SP101: much better
Taurus (I forget what model) pretty good

I'm not sold though.

There are a lot of different revolvers, and due to the positioning of the bore axis, the barrel length, overall weight and balance of the gun, there are tremendous differences in how some of them handle. If you're intent on finding something that behaves a certain way, then by all means state your ideal goals for shootability characteristics, ergonomics, concealability (if an issue), reliability/durability, etc. I'm sure folks can quickly recommend a number of good options to check out.

Uncertain whether you're looking for a range monkey or a concealable carry gun.

The Ruger SP-101 .357mag is about as nice as you're going to get for a rugged, well-made revolver that's small enough to carry easily but heavy enough to be kinder with recoil. The S&W Model 60, IMO, is roughly comparable.

Knowing what we know so far, that you've tried a few and found them wanting, I might suggest the following:

• Ruger Redhawk .44mag -- ie, KRH-444 #5026, 4.2" bbl, 9.5" OAL, 47oz. About as nicely-balanced and decently shooting a revolver as you're likely to find.

• Ruger GP100 .357mag -- ie, KGP-141 #1705, same basic Redhawk format but in .357mag and 40oz.

• S&W 686 Plus .357mag -- ie, #164300, 3" bbl, 8.2" OAL, 37oz. Nicely balanced, small enough to carry easily.

• S&W Model 29 .44mag -- ie, #150255, 6rds, 4" bbl, 9.25" OAL, 44oz. Wonderful in the hand, great to shoot. Many people swear by this model. A bit large to carry, harder to conceal surely. But a peach on the range or in the field.

• S&W Model 60 .357mag -- ie, #162430, 5rd, 3" bbl, 7.5" OAL, 24.5oz. Easily concealed, light enough to make a difference, but heavy enough to tame much of the recoil. A great-shooting compact, on the J-frame.

• Charter Arms .357mag Pug or .44mag Bulldog -- Roughly the size of the S&W Model 60. Shoots a bit differently, IMO, due to the different bore-axis and balance. A budget alternative to some of the S&W's.

• Taurus, in the UltraLight, CIA and Protector series -- A variety of concealable revolvers similar in size to the S&W J-frame units. Variety of weights, balance. I've shot a couple Taurus revolvers, though I don't recall which specific ones they were. Nice feel in the hand. A softer "ribbed" grip option that helps tame recoil. A budget alternative to comparable S&W units.

On many of the revolvers, you can swap to different grips. As you might guess, some of these can make a huge difference in the ergonomics and how they shoot, how they tame recoil.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you just wnat to shoot .38 spl's, it's tough to beat a S&W Model 10 or 15. I you feel the .357 mag need, you can step it up to a Model 13 or 19. Then there are the SS equivalents too. Depending on your needs, you can figure out what barrel length you want. But, 3" barrel K frames are getting pretty scarce right now.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The LCR is very nice. Love the light weight and the trigger.
I agree with you. I love my LCR. However I would caution anyone who is interested in one, especially women, to shoot one before you buy. It's very lightweight, which means that it can be uncomfortable to shoot, especially with +P loads. Of course I'm speaking from my experience with the CT model, which has a much smaller grip than the Hoque grips. It's probably OK with the Hogues.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just my impressions! I'm no expert.
I might keep fooling around and I'll keep this list in mind.
But it didn't make a convert out of me, either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a few revolvers over the years. A mod 19 2" and a Mod 12 2" both of these were "K" frames. The Mod 12 was an airweight and easy to carry with a "Barami Hip Grip". and the gun wrapped in a pocket holster worn IWB.. The Mod 19 was a joy to shoot as it was all steel and heavier than the Mod 12. I've had a 3" J frame and it was much easier to shoot well than a 2" its amazing how much just an inch of barrel makes in a J frame. That said My BUG is a Mod 60 Pinned barrel vintage. A bit heavier than the 642 and 442 I had. Oh I had a 340M&P in 357mag ouch.. but fun!
IT depends on what you want in a revolver.. Carry, HOME, Range use or all three.. Dont' give up on a revolver.. and yes grip changes can make a big difference. I hope you find what you want.
Best!

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
SP-101 would be lighter and easier to carry than a K frame, if you could accept 5 shots.

I prefer the 3 incher over the 2 inch , but both shoot well.

However, the KLCR is much smaller and lighter than both and has a superior trigger pull.

Reactions: Rigrat
1 - 20 of 21 Posts