Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like a gun that is double and single action in a auto or a revolver in the auto I like a manual safety and a decocking lever ambidextrous.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All great information. And I agree with all of it. However, my PPQ would like to have a word with you on this statement :tongue::

A Glock has the best tactile reset of any gun on the market – better even than my M&P with the DCAEK and RAM kit in it.
I'm sure the 3.5 lb ghost kit probably betters it, but when it comes to a gun out of the box, IMO the PPQ bests it by just a little bit.

I'll admit we're splitting hairs though. Both have excellent triggers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some great info bottom line is you should regularly bring your EDC with you to the range and shoot it you'll train your muscles so it all becomes automatic when your faced with the worst. How many rounds do you train with to become proficient? That depend on you and your pistols characteristics, get used to the trigger!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some great info bottom line is you should regularly bring your EDC with you to the range and shoot it you'll train your muscles so it all becomes automatic when your faced with the worst. How many rounds do you train with to become proficient? That depend on you and your pistols characteristics, get used to the trigger!
I appreciate your sentiments, but my EDC is a revolver, not a pistol.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
A good (one bad guy) gun. I look at revolvers as a small, light, last ditch gun that's great at taking contact. Not a great choice for a primary weapon.
On what actual facts do you base a revolver not being a great choice for primary weapon? I don't mean warfare or police shootouts or feelings (fears) but, what actual facts of average civilians involved with self defense?

·
Registered
36 Posts
On what actual facts do you base a revolver not being a great choice for primary weapon? I don't mean warfare or police shootouts or feelings (fears) but, what actual facts of average civilians involved with self defense?
Most all bad guys have long ago switched to semi autos. Since most bad guys still like to ambush their victims, I would recommend being able to keep up in regards to firepower, and capacity. I know some still like to romanticize the old days of cops and robbers or westerns, but if you actually believe a revolver is a good primary weapon now a days, you may want rethink the subject matter.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Tangle I sure you will not follow how I work a trigger but that's life . For defensive practice I've used a Trigger Sweeping style for so many years it does not matter what type of trigger pull weight is or style of trigger a handgun has . BUt you can go to lite or two heavy at least for me . My primary carry handgun has changed threw the years some . For the last 5.8 years My primary carry is a P320c 40sw with a 5lb 6oz pull weight , smooth but typical striker trigger . You know the old style compact with a 3.9" barrel. I have updated to a X series compact grip module after buying a p320XC but I did not like the trigger or the pull and short barrel for the size or the pistol so sold it .

I may carry a LW Commander 45acp with it nice 3.5lb trigger and I have a M&P core mix and match model . Core upper and standard with thumb safety lower apex FSS trigger kit and apex GS fit barrel , Light short trigger far closer to my 1911 than my p320 c or XC I had . I also have a kimber ultra 9mm or a nice old s&w 669 I could carry is smaller is wanted ,, Not much lighter but it is smaller .. Learn to sweep that trigger like Todd Jarrett or Rob Leatham and a few other use still today and what trigger type you carry will matter far less .

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Tangle I sure you will not follow how I work a trigger but that's life . For defensive practice I've used a Trigger Sweeping style for so many years it does not matter what type of trigger pull weight is or style of trigger a handgun has . BUt you can go to lite or two heavy at least for me . My primary carry handgun has changed threw the years some . For the last 5.8 years My primary carry is a P320c 40sw with a 5lb 6oz pull weight , smooth but typical striker trigger . You know the old style compact with a 3.9" barrel. I have updated to a X series compact grip module after buying a p320XC but I did not like the trigger or the pull and short barrel for the size or the pistol so sold it .

I may carry a LW Commander 45acp with it nice 3.5lb trigger and I have a M&P core mix and match model . Core upper and standard with thumb safety lower apex FSS trigger kit and apex GS fit barrel , Light short trigger far closer to my 1911 than my p320 c or XC I had . I also have a kimber ultra 9mm or a nice old s&w 669 I could carry is smaller is wanted ,, Not much lighter but it is smaller .. Learn to sweep that trigger like Todd Jarrett or Rob Leatham and a few other use still today and what trigger type you carry will matter far less .
I understand, but that's about a shooting technique. This thread is about explaining terms used to describe the characteristics of trigger.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I get it, but the drift is very much front and center when its all said and done.
The drift is about shooting and what type of gun works where/when, and I understand that, But this thread is not about shooting or types of guns or even types of triggers. It's specifically about what the terms mean that are used to describe a trigger. It's not at all about how to deal with gun types or shooting. That sort of thing has been covered many times in other threads.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great post, Tangle. You put into words why I like my Glock 19X/45 trigger the best of all the striker guns I've fired. I would take issue with the statement that all stock Glock triggers are the same, however. Maybe it's a generational thing, but my gen 4 30sf has a heavier trigger than the 19X/G45, and I don't notice the reset as much on it either. It could just be me, though.

·
Registered
Various
15,552 Posts
Get a 1911 with zero take-up, a light crisp break, and zero over-travel and be done with the issue.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts