Defensive Carry banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Get a 1911 with zero take-up, a light crisp break, and zero over-travel and be done with the issue.
There's no issue here; the intent of this thread is only to help us understand what is meant by trigger terminology. To wit, you mentioned zero take up, light crisp break, and zero over travel. These are terms that not everyone is familiar with. So this thread was only an effort to explain those descriptors.

I just don't want the thread to turn into a "what's the best trigger and why" thread.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I think it is important to understand the specific nuances of [your] trigger in [your] gun. That said, I have never been one to ride a reset or any of that jazz. I have put thousands of rounds through my gun and to be honest, I have never really given the trigger much thought. I cant really offer much in the way of a description about it and I am not sure that I even want to give it that much thought. I know where my trigger breaks, I cant really tell you about it but.. I know. I have pulled the trigger thousands of times and dont even recall what it feels like. I dont know if its rough, slick , gritty or anything else. I just pull the trigger when I want the gun to go bang and it goes bang. There are alot of things that bullseye shooters may do to increase their marksmanship and I believe that what they are doing is of benefit to them. I on the other hand am not a bullseye shooter and although I do aspire to maintain a reasonable proficiency in regards to marksmanship, I do not suffer any handwringing or concern if my shots land 2 inches this way or 2 inches that way. If absolute marksmanship was keeping me up at night, I would probably delve much deeper into the whole trigger control science. Until then, I will simply keep on- keep'n on.

I think there is a point where you can over think these issues and there is that line where certain efforts begin to offer diminished returns. I am not suggesting that this thread reaches that point but these sort of discussions often do.

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I think it is important to understand the specific nuances of [your] trigger in [your] gun. That said, I have never been one to ride a reset or any of that jazz. I have put thousands of rounds through my gun and to be honest, I have never really given the trigger much thought. I cant really offer much in the way of a description about it and I am not sure that I even want to give it that much thought. I know where my trigger breaks, I cant really tell you about it but.. I know. I have pulled the trigger thousands of times and dont even recall what it feels like. I dont know if its rough, slick , gritty or anything else. I just pull the trigger when I want the gun to go bang and it goes bang. There are alot of things that bullseye shooters may do to increase their marksmanship and I believe that what they are doing is of benefit to them. I on the other hand am not a bullseye shooter and although I do aspire to maintain a reasonable proficiency in regards to marksmanship, I do not suffer any handwringing or concern if my shots land 2 inches this way or 2 inches that way. If absolute marksmanship was keeping me up at night, I would probably delve much deeper into the whole trigger control science. Until then, I will simply keep on- keep'n on.

I think there is a point where you can over think these issues and there is that line where certain efforts begin to offer diminished returns. I am not suggesting that this thread reaches that point but these sort of discussions often do.
Again, this thread is specifically about definitions, not applications. The purpose of the thread to define trigger terminology so when people hear these terms they will know what they mean.

We just need to be careful not to turn this into a "how to", or "I think" thread. It really isn't about use, it's only about what the terms that relate to triggers mean.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I was taught by a vet and revolver pro shooter in the late '70's to "sweep " the trigger as it worked well with all trigger types after he watched me attempt to stage my trigger pull . I was told that " Sweeping of the trigger " worked well DA revolver DA/SA or SA pistol . If I became a SA shooter only then learn to " Follow the Reset " As distance to target goes to a longer yardage I may have to slow down and modify that trigger pull may be needed . As a hog hunter first I say his advise has served my well over the decades . Today I my carry a 3.5lb 1911 or a 5.5lb so called sa stiker and for years I carry kahrs and find I never had to think about the trigger pull but I do sweep for a thumb safety on pistol even when there is no thumb safety , or so my wife tells me . I do not know who that first pro was but he offered go adavise for carry and hunting . never spent enough time shooting matches to get that kind of good but other big name now older pro shooters use the same style of trigger pull still today like Yong Lee , Todd Garrett and Rod Leatham

81 - 84 of 84 Posts