Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Company offers to stop putting biblical references on military scopes - CNN.com

(CNN) -- A manufacturer that has been inscribing Bible references on rifle sights used by U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan announced Thursday that it will stop putting scripture references on products the U.S. military uses.

Gen. David Petraeus, commander of United States Central Command, said Wednesday -- apparently before learning of the company's announcement -- that the references were a "big concern" to the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps, which have contracts for the scopes.

"I hope you can sense ... this is of serious concern to me and the other commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan because it can indeed create a perception that is absolutely contrary to what it is that we have sought to do," he said.

He said U.S. troops are much more sensitive "about this kind of thing," apparently, than is the contractor involved.

On its Web site Wednesday, the Muslim Public Affairs Council said the references "feed into the violent extremists' narrative that the ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are a 'crusade against Islam.' "

Trijicon Inc., the manufacturer, said in a written statement that it has "offered to voluntarily stop putting references to scripture on all products manufactured for the U.S. military -- and will provide, free of charge, 100 modification kits to the Pentagon to enable the removal of the references that are already on products that are currently deployed."

There was no immediate reaction from the Pentagon in response to the announcement, but a response was being prepared, Maj. Shawn Turner in the Department of Defense's public affairs office told CNN.

The Marine Corps said it was "concerned" when it learned about the biblical references.

"We are making every effort to remove these markings from all of our scopes and will ensure that all future procurement of these scopes will not have these types of markings," it said in a written statement.

"We will remove the markings from the scopes currently delivered. Trijicon will also remove the markings from all scopes that have not been delivered."

Earlier, after it emerged that the Michigan-based manufacturer was putting codes for scriptures on the scopes, Trijicon issued a statement saying that it has put scripture references on its products for more than two decades.

"As long as we have men and women in danger, we will continue to do everything we can to provide them with both state-of-the-art technology and the never-ending support and prayers of a grateful nation," it said Wednesday.

ABC first reported the story on Monday, saying that some of the citations on the sights included "2COR4:6," an apparent reference to 2 Corinthians 4:6 of the New Testament, which reads, "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ."

Another, according to ABC, included JN8:12, apparently referring to John 8:12. That reads, "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.' "

Trijicon has a $660 million contract for the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Army, according to Turner. He said slightly more than 300,000 scopes have been delivered so far, with most going to the Marines.

After the initial news report, the Muslim Public Affairs Council called on Defense Secretary Robert Gates to withdraw from combat use weapons that have sights with the biblical references.

"Allowing religious references to be placed on U.S. weaponry, which are bought and paid for by U.S. taxpayers, is unacceptable," MPAC Executive Director Salam Al-Marayati wrote in a letter to Gates, according to the council's Web site.

"Such inscriptions not only run afoul of the Constitution and U.S. military rules, but they also feed into the violent extremists' narrative that the ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are a 'crusade against Islam.' "

·
Registered
672 Posts
I guess that $660 million dollar means that much to them to get rid of something they've been doing since the founder passed. Funny what money will do to people. I commend Trijicon for admitting their mistake and offering to make it better. Hopefully, it doesn't cost them that much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My question is did anyone know this before reading about it? Ive use the sights, sold them for years and had no clue they were "bible optics". Am I behind or was this a non-problem?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is did anyone know this before reading about it? Ive use the sights, sold them for years and had no clue they were "bible optics". Am I behind or was this a non-problem?
I believe it was a well-hidden secret.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What a shame....the replacement kit should be used only if the soldier carrying the weapon has an issue with scripture on their sight. I doubt Trijicons intent was to inflame the enemy with the serial/version code. It's too bad considering that those who we are in conflict with don't have a problem invoking the name of their God before attempting to kill us. Figures. :aargh4:

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
"Such
"Such inscriptions not only run afoul of the Constitution and U.S. military rules, but they also feed into the violent extremists' narrative that the ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are a 'crusade against Islam.' "
What a big pile of BS :mad: If it wasn't for our political correct "sensitivities" we would have won both wars long ago!:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Honestly, I think the whole thing is bleeping silly.
Sure the series of letters and numbers could be referencing 2 Corinthians 4:6 and John 8:12. Or they could simply be a part number.
About as silly as wiring a turntable backward to hear hidden messages in music.

Time to move on, nothing to see here.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About as silly as wiring a turntable backward to hear hidden messages in music.
Gee, I used to do that all the time with Abbey Road.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I guess that $660 million dollar means that much to them to get rid of something they've been doing since the founder passed. Funny what money will do to people. I commend Trijicon for admitting their mistake and offering to make it better. Hopefully, it doesn't cost them that much.
What particular mistake would that be in your opinion? Would it be selling a wonderful product to the military that had no problems whatsover until some freaking idiot with way to much time on their hands, and apparently feeling like his rights are more important than any one elses or what :twak:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Personally, I won't ever buy from them. I'm sorry, but I don't like "spine-less". I'm sick and tired of this PC crap that is forced down our throats. I'll spend my money with a company I respect. Did anyone ask the soldiers and Marines using the sights if they liked having the scriptures on the sights? No, I didn't think so...we can't risk upsetting the Muslims...we must protect their sensibilities. I'm wondering if they would demand a change if something was upsetting Christians...we all know the answer to that one...NO.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What particular mistake would that be in your opinion? Would it be selling a wonderful product to the military that had no problems whatsover until some freaking idiot with way to much time on their hands, and apparently feeling like his rights are more important than any one elses or what :twak:
This begs the question on what "freaking idiot with too much time on his hands and feeling like his rights are more important than any one else's" you're referencing.

Are you talking about the US soldiers who object to carrying weapons that may violate their own religious beliefs (ie: Muslim, Jewish, Agnostic, etc) or about the person at the factory who thought it'd be cool to secretly inscribe mil weapons' sights with biblical quotations?

And, contrary to what some feel, this is much ado about something that shouldn't have happened in the first place regardless of your own personal religious beliefs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well lets see, I'm an athiest, I serve in the military, and I spent all of 2008 deployed for OIF and OEF. I've never used a Trijicon, but I have no doubt that they are great products because I saw an abundance of them over there.

My problem isn't that it's against my choice of non-religion. My problem is that they went against what their, and all, contracts say. That's it.

I find it funny that they were very proud to say that they were religious enough that they put them on all their products for ever, but once their contract (money) was in danger they quickly gave in. What people will do for the all mighty dollar.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Well lets see, I'm an athiest, I serve in the military, and I spent all of 2008 deployed for OIF and OEF. I've never used a Trijicon, but I have no doubt that they are great products because I saw an abundance of them over there.

My problem isn't that it's against my choice of non-religion. My problem is that they went against what their, and all, contracts say. That's it.

I find it funny that they were very proud to say that they were religious enough that they put them on all their products for ever, but once their contract (money) was in danger they quickly gave in. What people will do for the all mighty dollar.
What happened to, "In God We Trust"?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
much ado about nothing in my opnion.

the verses fit the marketing for the product.
"Let light shine out of darkness"
"I am the light of the world"

seams to fit what there scopes do, does it not?
Keep up your tradition. do not remove them.
there are other scopes on the market if it is a big issue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ill be just like everone else I guess and apologize for offending you mister athiest I guess!!!! But here is the thing first and foremost nobody put them on there secretly it was on there all along and when they were asked they came right out and said ya thats what it is. I comend them for that, I dont commend them for not taking a stand and saying what of it and telling athiest us CHRISTIANS are tired of rolling over to you people thinking you are the God of youself and me

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
After the initial news report, the Muslim Public Affairs Council called on Defense Secretary Robert Gates to withdraw from combat use weapons that have sights with the biblical references.

"Allowing religious references to be placed on U.S. weaponry, which are bought and paid for by U.S. taxpayers, is unacceptable," MPAC Executive Director Salam Al-Marayati wrote in a letter to Gates, according to the council's Web site.

Where were these folks when their friends were blowing or trying to blow up planes over detroit or elsewhere, now they are heard loud and clear. This is where I have my complaints all of a sudden, now they want to be heard loud and clear and whine and say the Constitution is being run afoul of, good gracious, what a load of crap, the Sec of Def should have said tough crap and take a hike.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My problem is that they went against what their, and all, contracts say. That's it.
Bingo.

If they choose to do business for the DOD and sign contracts that prohibit proselytizing (the act of attempting to convert people to another religion) we should expect them to comply. Since when is living up to your contractual obligations a bad thing?

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
(the act of attempting to convert people to another religion)
Really now, how many even had a clue, they have been doing it for over 30 years. I seriously doubt that a reference to a Bible verse is trying to convert anyone to a "religion" as most people wouldnt even know what it was.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Since when is living up to your contractual obligations a bad thing?
Since it apparently offends "Christians" that they no longer get free ad space on government owned property...

Intolerance, folks, is intolerance, no matter what brand name it falls under. Get over yourselves, or go form your own caliphate somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.