9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,444 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
A nice idea but the first company I drove for was headquartered in Green Bay, WI and thought that since I lived in North Carolina the only place I was qualified to drive was in the northeast to include the cesspool of NYC. One of the first things listed in the employee manual was a total prohibition of any means of self protection but the cargo had to be delivered no matter what the possibility of any dangers may be encountered.

·
Premium Member
36,781 Posts
A nice idea but the first company I drove for was headquartered in Green Bay, WI and thought that since I lived in North Carolina the only place I was qualified to drive was in the northeast to include the cesspool of NYC. One of the first things listed in the employee manual was a total prohibition of any means of self protection but the cargo had to be delivered no matter what the possibility of any dangers may be encountered.
Schneider, ay? That was my first company driver job.

The further they keep you away from the house, the easier it is to get you back on the road. I had a regular gig running distribution for Lowe's out of North Vernon, Indiana. There was a Wal-Mart distrubution center nearby which JB had an in-house contract for. The JB drivers would be standing in line at the pay phone at a nearby truck stop every Friday afternoon, trying to get dispatch to get them a run by the house for the weekend. After three or four "call back in a half hour", they were stuck right there until Sunday night, where they would begin another week at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Thanks Mike; brings back a lot of old memories, most of them bad. Dispatchers have the company business in mind first, and driver's preferences are at bottom of their list.
In regards related to being armed, back in the day, I was driving cab over tractors, and had a Snake Charmer 410 single shot shotgun, with pistol grip, tucked in between forward edge of mattress, and bunk railing. It was in violation of company rules, but I slept better, when I got the chance to sleep. When going into company HQ for oil change, or just to see my face again, I dis-assembled it, and locked it in a locking attache case. They never tried opening the case to best of my knowledge, but rest assured, if they knew it was there, I would have been fired on the spot. One perk, you could grab the Snake Charmer from it's resting place and swing it over to the driver's door window,without getting hung up on steering wheel, or windshield.
Schneider, ay? That was my first company driver job.

The further they keep you away from the house, the easier it is to get you back on the road. I had a regular gig running distribution for Lowe's out of North Vernon, Indiana. There was a Wal-Mart distrubution center nearby which JB had an in-house contract for. The JB drivers would be standing in line at the pay phone at a nearby truck stop every Friday afternoon, trying to get dispatch to get them a run by the house for the weekend. After three or four "call back in a half hour", they were stuck right there until Sunday night, where they would begin another week at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to break the bad news but the Trucking industry will be the first industrial casualty in the looming self driving robot wars.
I like technology. Do you really want to share the interstate ( you in your Soccer Mom Mini Van with kids and grandma in it. Traveling at 75MPH with an 80,000 pound Robotic Triethylene Glycol Tanker. ?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
251 Posts
I like technology. Do you really want to share the interstate ( you in your Soccer Mom Mini Van with kids and grandma in it. Traveling at 75MPH with an 80,000 pound Robotic Triethylene Glycol Tanker. ?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, since you asked. No, not really. I don't desire to share the road, but since I have to, I prefer there be an intelligent human being behind the wheel actually DRIVING and not texting, putting on make-up, reading the paper, etc.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Wonder what the self-driving semi trailer truck robots do when they shed a left-side retread carcass (at 75 mph) into the passing lane, on a stormy rain, in the dark? Because I've seen the shredding tire come off at exACTLY 12 ft. in front of my sports car, hit it at speed, spun me across the median and...stacked-up 3 cars heading in the other direction!

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Wonder what the self-driving semi trailer truck robots do when they shed a left-side retread carcass (at 75 mph) into the passing lane, on a stormy rain, in the dark? Because I've seen the shredding tire come off at exACTLY 12 ft. in front of my sports car, hit it at speed, spun me across the median and...stacked-up 3 cars heading in the other direction!
Oh well, OOPS.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Being a owner/operator of a long haul truck, I exercise my second amendment rights every day.
Being a Utah resident my CFP is good in a lot of states, and I avoid the ones where it's not accepted.
It would make me more profitable if I was able to operate more freely.

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
Don’t know what a robot would do but I really had my hands full when I blew a right steer tire on I-270 outside of Columbus, OH. All the four wheelers that had been hanging alongside my truck just suddenly disappeared when that happened.

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Don’t know what a robot would do but I really had my hands full when I blew a right steer tire on I-270 outside of Columbus, OH. All the four wheelers that had been hanging alongside my truck just suddenly disappeared when that happened.
Understand that. :image035:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Y'all experienced truckers please don't misunderstand. The tire-shredding semi driver pulled over & assisted in sorting thru ALL the ensuing carnage. Luckily, all broken glass & bent metal, no bones or squirting blood. I was just curious what the robo-semi would do? :blink:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
One of our trucks was in an icy road accident 2 months ago in New Mexico.
Tractor-trailer in front of him jack-knifed on the ice in front of him. Our driver nearly came to a safe stop (assisted) when he was rear-ended by the rig tail-gating him.
Our trucks have dash cams and stability control systems.
He got to see all footage and telemetry printouts of the accident.
He had great following distance, he would have stopped before hitting the rig in front.
Printout showed stability control activated brakes individually to keep out rig straight.
It showed he was down to 10 mph and was then hit from behind, accelerating him to 60 mph and into the front rig.
Printout shows out tractor rotated 75° to the left, stability control straightened the tractor out, without input from the driver (closest person I have to a friend).
He swore he was straight the whole time. He doesn't recall turning.
So the systems work. My complaint is that it reacts to what is happening under the tires, it can't anticipate what is happening up ahead.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
There is only one reason which will make me happy about the robot cars.....If it radically lessens the number of vehicles that drive 137 miles before they decide to get into the slow lane where they freaking belong!!! Anymore I feel like I am driving in France, everyone is passing cars in the right or two right lanes and that is some scary DOO DOO>.

Do us a huge favor dads, Teach your daughters that the passing lane is for passing cars ONLY. :gah:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Oh, and yes, God Bless our Truckers, Law Enforcement and Military, they should all be allowed to carry intercontinental! Let Freedom Ring in America once again!

·
Administrator
144,135 Posts
What is really going to be interesting is when there are slews of driverless bazillion pound driverless trucks on the road with many of them transporting hazardous materials and there is a CME Coronal Mass Ejection of the Sun...just like what knocked out the grid in Canada....and all of those trucks don't know where they are, where they are headed, when to to turn, when to stop, when to slow down....etc etc.

Life on the road could get very interesting. :gah:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
When doing a search for laws concerning commercial vehicles and firearms, there is no law preventing it.
The FMCSA takes no stand on the issue and refers to individual State regulations concerning transport of firearms.
Company rules are a different matter, same as company rules when working in a building.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Oh, and yes, God Bless our Truckers, Law Enforcement and Military, they should all be allowed to carry intercontinental! Let Freedom Ring in America once again!
This is the attitude that will make it hard to get a national law passed that would make it legal for everybody to carry in all of the states. Why shouldn't you be pushing for a national law for everybody. This idea that some people are better than others is why we all fail. I don't like your statement any more than I like people saying that black live matter or police officers live matter. Until we take the attitude that we all matter then none of us will matter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts