Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tonight I was moving a few things to the new apartment. It is a very badly lit street, and further up the road from my about two blocks or so is a well known dumpy (crime ridden) apartment complex. So by badly lit street I mean there is 1 street light down the road about a block that works. Other then that it is completely pitch black.

So I'm walking back out to my car at about 9:00 pm and from behind me someone yells Hey very loudly and angrily. I instinctually spin around and put my hand on the grip of my gp100 as I star into the darkness trying to make out the image of this stocky shadow. This person was about 10 or 15 feet from me and I still get not see anything but a dark outline. Unsure of who they were or to what extent of a threat they were I replied who the heck are you (as I begin to back step to draw them into a dimly lit parking lot, in which is a corner I can use for cover).

She (yes she lol) quickly says oh sorry about that I thought you were someone else. It appears this is a friend (lesbian, explains the voice, no offence I'm supportive of the gay community so don't get bent out of shape) of the lesbian neighbors I have. Apparently from behind I look like another neighbor that hangs out with them. It was all good after that, I introduced myself and we went on our marry way. I hope that is the last dark shadowy surprise I get in the middle of the night outside my new place. And my girlfriend would surely not enjoy such an encounter.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Sounds like you did fine to me!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
So basically nothing happened? Good night in my book.

·
Registered
759 Posts
So tonight I was moving a few things to the new apartment. It is a very badly lit street, and further up the road from my about two blocks or so is a well known dumpy (crime ridden) apartment complex. So by badly lit street I mean there is 1 street light down the road about a block that works. Other then that it is completely pitch black.

So I'm walking back out to my car at about 9:00 pm and from behind me someone yells Hey very loudly and angrily. I instinctually spin around and put my hand on the grip of my gp100 as I star into the darkness trying to make out the image of this stocky shadow. This person was about 10 or 15 feet from me and I still get not see anything but a dark outline. Unsure of who they were or to what extent of a threat they were I replied who the f*** are you (as I begin to back step to draw them into a dimly lit parking lot, in which is a corner I can use for cover).

She (yes she lol) quickly says oh sorry about that I thought you were someone else. It appears this is a friend (lesbian, explains the voice, no offence I'm supportive of the gay community so don't get bent out of shape) of the lesbian neighbors I have. Apparently from behind I look like another neighbor that hangs out with them. It was all good after that, I introduced myself and we went on our marry way. I hope that is the last dark shadowy surprise I get in the middle of the night outside my new place. And my girlfriend would surely not enjoy such an encounter.
I never would have heard it.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
You got my vote.

You should contact your city muckety muck mucks and request a new street light. Recruit the neighbors on your side of the DMZ. Any deals to be had on 3rd generation NVGs your way??

·
Banned
2,268 Posts

So I'm walking back out to my car at about 9:00 pm and from behind me someone yells Hey very loudly and angrily. I instinctually spin around and put my hand on the grip of my gp100 as I star into the darkness trying to make out the image of this stocky shadow. This person was about 10 or 15 feet from me and I still get not see anything but a dark outline. Unsure of who they were or to what extent of a threat they were I replied who the f*** are you (as I begin to back step to draw them into a dimly lit parking lot, in which is a corner I can use for cover).

So basically nothing happened other than you were mistaken for a lesbian? :)

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
That's perty comical Old Dog!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol mistaken for a male neighbor :) Although that could have just been a cover up story on her part so maybe I was mistaken for a lesbian.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Never had it happen to me. Street lights are good in LA. But I suggest working on those glutes.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is why I always carry a Stream-light protac 2L. 5 inches, 6.5 oz, and it would have lit that woman up like the sun. I highly recommend you look in to getting something similar.
I have never been much of a flashlight person, this may have changed that lol.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It was all good after that, I introduced myself and we went on our marry way. I hope that is the last dark shadowy surprise I get in the middle of the night outside my new place. And my girlfriend would surely not enjoy such an encounter.
I am going to play Mr. pedantic language person here. You went on your "merry" way. As in happy or gay. If you were to go on your "marry" way with the aforementioned lesbian, your girlfriend might get upset, and everyone would be confused, and it might violate your state's law. Just tryin' to help. :image035:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I don't point out people's grammatic or spelling errors unless either they are trying to show intellectual superiority, or it is funny. This would be the latter. I make plenty of errors myself. And back on topic, i will be carrying concealed at an annual motorcycle campout next weekend hosted by a "women's motorcycle club". Nice broads, we have a lot in common, such as being rough and tough, enjoying motorcycles, and women.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol indeed that is comical. I admit I am no English major. You'll likely find plenty of similar opportunities in many of my posts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like you did fine to me!
Where was your flashlight?

I know, you didn't have one. So now you see the value in carrying more than just a firearm. You don't have to be Batman.

I EDC my firearm, a defensive knife - strong side behind my firearm, and a Surefire E2D flashlight. Sounds like alot, but it's not. The knife and flashlight are light.

BUT - that light would have stopped whomever in their tracks, and gave you a visualization of what to expect. Waiting until you have an unexpected and unknown possible threat within arms reach can be too late, or at least change the dynamics of the encounter.

Just some food for thought. But seriously, there is a reason most LEO and military choose Surefire. Before you get budget blinded, do some reaserch on them. I've used them, and have multiple, for almost 15 years or so. They are a workhorse!
saa.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well, glad all went well. I too thought the idea of having a flashlight as part of my EDC was over the top and wanted nothing to do with it. Until I gave it more thought, then tried it - once you have it, especially when you need it, its real hard to go without it. I haven't since.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Just two side comments:
1. The story would have been the same without a comment about anything "lesbian". Did not add a thing to the story--this is all about a bad neighborhood, darkness and insufficient lighting.
2. Apologizing for mentioning "lesbian" made your story even worse. Only Seinfeld in his "gay/lesbian episode", when the terms gay/lesbian are used, got a pass because it was followed by "not that there is anything wrong with it" in a comedic sense. You mentioning it just exacerbated something that was irrelevant to your thread.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I am going to play Mr. pedantic language person here. You went on your "merry" way. As in happy or gay. If you were to go on your "marry" way with the aforementioned lesbian, your girlfriend might get upset, and everyone would be confused, and it might violate your state's law. Just tryin' to help. :image035:
Mr. Pedantic Language. Well done.

grammar-police.jpg

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Flashlight. Why are you moving into a bad area?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts