Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple trips to the range with my new M&P40 the paint fell out of the front sight. Apparently this is a common problem that S&W is well aware of. I called them and they're sending me a new front sight free of charge. But since I have to go to the trouble of having it replaced, I'm considering going with a set of aftermarket sights.

I'm really liking the overall appearance of the TruGlo TFO's. I've been researching them for a couple days now, and I came across a forum post(don't recall if it was here or another forum) that the poster claimed his TFO's trinium vials and fiber optics were effectively dead due to cleaning solvents or gun oils getting on them. At least that's the explanation TruGlo offered him when he called their Customer Service.

Does anyone here use the TFO's? Any issues with them dying unexpectedly? Also would you recommend them for a carry weapon? I've heard fiber optic sights can be kind of delicate.

·
Registered
526 Posts
TFOs Are awesome

I have them on my Shield 40

M&Ps are great weapons...... In all ways,....... EXCEPT for that stupid white dot falling out of the front sight

I have two..... Both pistols lost the dot.....

I cant fricken believe that such a fine pistol continues to have this problem

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I had a set of them on my old Springfield Armory XD45 compact. They were great, especially under a bright sky for an IDPA match. Those sights just POPPED! The visibility at night and in low light is excellent, too.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I had TFOs on my XD subcompact and I have nothing really bad to say about them. They do a good job in well lit and low light conditions, when either the fiber optic part or the tritium is in full effect. The one condition I didn't care for them so much was when the lighting was somewhere in between. When neither lighting condition was having an impact on the sights, the dots are rather dull and (for me anyway) getting a quick acquisition on the front sight was harder to accomplish. It's not terrible or anything, but I personally think if they painted a white or orange ring around the front sight, that problem would be eliminated.

I have heard about folks breaking the tritium vials but it never happened to me in all the time I carried that pistol and while I don't intentionally abuse my carry gun, I don't baby it either. It's a working tool and I treat it as such.

FWIW, when I purchased night sights for my current EDC, I went with Ameriglo Pro Operators and so far I've been very impressed. Front sight acquisition is very quick, day or night, and the wider rear notch really works well for me. Not sure if they make the Pro Operators for S&W though.

AmeriGlo Weapon Sights | Pro Operator

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was wondering about the FO sights as well. I have a S&W9c and a Shield that I love equally for different situations. In the 9c, I added a jeweled stone to the factory front sight but it's only a matter before it falls out too. I am not interested in a Trace type of sight. I also wondered if there were any rules against mods when shooting IDPA. I'm interested in getting into that kind of competition but don't know enough about the equipment rules.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Does anyone here use the TFO's? Any issues with them dying unexpectedly? Also would you recommend them for a carry weapon? I've heard fiber optic sights can be kind of delicate.
They don't die unexpectedly per se. What usually happens is over time (depending on how much you shoot) the front FO gets dirty and thus loses it's ability to shine bright like it could when new. So then, the backs shine brighter than the front which makes it hard to pick up. The FO can also be damaged by cleaning chemicals shooters use to clean their guns.

Thousands of people love them, but they just don't stand up well over thousands of rounds in my experience.

I prefer the sight offerings from Ameriglo (I-Dot Pros) or Trijicon (HD Night Sights) for defensive handguns.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
After a couple trips to the range with my new M&P40 the paint fell out of the front sight. Apparently this is a common problem that S&W is well aware of. I called them and they're sending me a new front sight free of charge. But since I have to go to the trouble of having it replaced, I'm considering going with a set of aftermarket sights.

I'm really liking the overall appearance of the TruGlo TFO's. I've been researching them for a couple days now, and I came across a forum post(don't recall if it was here or another forum) that the poster claimed his TFO's trinium vials and fiber optics were effectively dead due to cleaning solvents or gun oils getting on them. At least that's the explanation TruGlo offered him when he called their Customer Service.

I own one set of TFOs,on my G23 after seeing how bright they were I had to give them a try
and they are really impressive,bright and well priced

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had them on my XD I shot for competition. REALLY bright in the sunlight, can't miss 'em. They front fell out after a few years and thousands of rounds, but was replaced for free.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
Had issues with losing the front fiber in mine. My Glocks now wear AmeriGlo sights, and they have been great.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have them on a Glock 19, and really like them. I do agree withan earlier post that in daylight or dark they're really good, but when it's in between, not quite as much. Still, I highly recommend them. I think I paid $125 installed a year or so ago.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried the Truglo FO on my Glock and they were ok in good light but in low light they were not so good. I thought they would be bright in low light like the ones on my turkey shot gun but there not. I stayed away ftrom treir TFOs because my research found they are very unreliable. I'm taking the FO sights off my G20, I just ordered XS Big Dots 24/7 for it. I have had the BDs on my other Glocks and hit well with them up close and at longer distances, day or night.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I have them on a Glock 21, no problems i am happy. I am an old man with poor eyes and need old mans sights.
They do definitely "pop" when it comes to daylight sight picture, but not so much in lower light situations. My advice to you is the same that I followed for myself: I'm finding it more and more difficult to see my front sight in sharp relief for the very same reasons you mention (aging eyes) which is why I embrace laser technology and may eventually go to a dot sight mounted on my pistol like the Delta point from Leupold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts