1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
We have a rare opportunity to advance our 2A rights and I have no doubt that President Trump will repay our election efforts with strong support for the hearing protection act, national reciprocity and stuffing BATFE back into the genie's bottle (for example).

I pray that all Republicans in the House and Senate are on the same page.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
We have a lot to be nervous about when a President speaks, like keeping track of candles.

Sent from my subspace communicator

·
Premium Member
39,005 Posts
Reactions: Doghandler

·
Premium Member
39,005 Posts
As usual

Sent from my subspace communicator
The lack of specificity at this point is very telling, IMO, and doesn't bode well for furtherance of 2A rights under the newly-elected administration and its Republican majority in both houses. I listened to the speech live, and found it to be no more than sail boat fuel. Nothing, repeat nothing of substance regarding 2A matters other than his assurance that no one is going to take our guns as long he's in charge. That might very well be as good as it gets for us.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Don't take your gun with you to the NRA meeting either. Yup, you guessed it- the NRA meeting is a Gun Free Zone!

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
The lack of specificity at this point is very telling, IMO, and doesn't bode well for furtherance of 2A rights under the newly-elected administration and its Republican majority in both houses. I listened to the speech live, and found it to be no more than sail boat fuel. Nothing, repeat nothing of substance regarding 2A matters other than his assurance that no one is going to take our guns as long he's in charge. That might very well be as good as it gets for us.
OK, but what would we be hearing and talking about right now if Hillary had won? And what kind of a SCOTUS pick would we have if she had won? Not to mention that Trump will probably get another pick sometime this year and he will appoint a big chunk of the lower judiciary. We don't need legislation as much as we need 2A recognized on laws that are already on the books.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
OK, but what would we be hearing and talking about right now if Hillary had won? And what kind of a SCOTUS pick would we have if she had won? Not to mention that Trump will probably get another pick sometime this year and he will appoint a big chunk of the lower judiciary. We don't need legislation as much as we need 2A recognized on laws that are already on the books.
I don't know why anyone is surprised. Trump didn't do much for 2A in his own state or any other state for that matter. He barely ever mentioned anything about 2A until he decided it would benefit his bid for presidency. The focal point of his presidency seems to be trade, lower taxes and tax breaks for the rich and corporations, reducing regulations corporations face, and reducing the healthcare burden for companies and corporations. He hasn't been, and IMHO, never will be a champion for 2A. It won't play a major role in his agenda or who he picks for SCOTUS, IMHO. Big business will though...

The only reason I voted for the man was keep knowingly anti gun SCOTUS justices off the bench. If that's all he accomplishes for 2A, that'll be just fine with me.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
This is where I turn up the Quadrophenia. Too bad the President does not share my honesty.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Perhaps, but it's worth noting that there's a lot going on right now that has greater urgency to it. Just making the time to show up for this event was significant. I'll give him a couple of years to get Congress in line before I start to lose hope for pro-gun legislation.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
We have a rare opportunity to advance our 2A rights and I have no doubt that President Trump will repay our election efforts with strong support for the hearing protection act, national reciprocity and stuffing BATFE back into the genie's bottle (for example).

I pray that all Republicans in the House and Senate are on the same page.
He already is ..... they started an investigation into why the ATF tried to ban some .233 (such as M855) as armour piercing, and who pushed it. They may have violated not only their mandates but the law.

Eliminated a ban on importing older military style rifles , etc.

Stepped out of the UN Agreement that Obama signed, that would have worked to high restrict or purely ban any guns owned by citizens. Senate never passed nor approved it, but Obama still had some authority to implement the concepts of it.

He is also behind the eliminating the NFA requirements for Silencers, and and Exec order for the ATF to remove it. He also put in the Exec Order that the ATF should eliminate any efforts to make gun ownership more restrictive. In it as well was the ATF back-stepping regulations on people selling antique guns, etc..... Obama tried to make them be required to be FFL's with required background checks, etc.

He has also eliminated some of the restrictions on lead that Obama was doing to restrict / limit the production of lead ... specificially to limit ammo production and cause issues.

He Eliminated the restriction Obama put in place on hunting in some Natl Parks & Public Lands ..... and using lead ammunition.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I think we all need to remember, also, that legislation doesn't usually begin with the president, unless he campaigned on something specific and had buy-in from members of congress on it.

I suspect that if any good pro 2A legislation hit his desk, he would probably sign it. I think that even if he doesn't really care about it, he doesn't care enough to veto it either, and would sign it just to piss off the opposition even if he was indifferent.

This is up to our legislators to make this happen, if it's going to happen. That means we need to get cracking on getting someone interested enough to pursue it.

I'm SOL here in my blue state, so this will be up to one or more of y'alls red state legislators to pick up this ball and run with it.

The president doesn't have to be for us, as long as he's not against us.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I'm holding out for the Keith Moon flags

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
The SS has already said that guns won't be permitted in any of the areas where the Golfer in Chief will be. It seems that's not coming from NRA but rather his security detail. So yeah, you can carry in some areas but you best not try to get near the POTUS.
That's always the Secret Service's SOP. You said the NRA meeting was a gun free zone and then posted a link talking about how that very thing was "hogwash", though. Let's not help perpetuate the falsehoods.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The SS has already said that guns won't be permitted in any of the areas where the Golfer in Chief will be. It seems that's not coming from NRA but rather his security detail.

So yeah, you can carry in some areas but you best not try to get near the POTUS.
So yeah, this is somehow unusual, unexpected, or unwarranted ? You're kidding, right ?

Oh, BTW, the Golfer in Chief was that other guy - you know, the one with the pen and the phone, in case "Congress didn't act."

1 - 20 of 54 Posts