Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
“It doesn’t have to be a mask. It can be a scarf,” Trump said. “What I do see people doing here is using scarves. And I think in a certain way, depending on the fabric, I think in a certain way, a scarf is better, it’s actually better.”
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Reactions: OldChap and OD*

·
Registered
34,026 Posts
Wonderful. Covering one's face is illegal in some twisted places. Lock them up!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I went to restock on alcohol the other day. Never seen a liquor store so packed on a Wednesday morning. It was comical seeing the people wearing gloves, masks, masks and gloves etc. the people who are doing this don’t have the slightest idea what they think they are being protected from by wearing this. They just feel safe. On top of not actually being protected from anything, if they were that worried, they probably shouldn’t be at the liquor store.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went to restock on alcohol the other day. Never seen a liquor store so packed on a Wednesday morning. It was comical seeing the people wearing gloves, masks, masks and gloves etc. the people who are doing this don’t have the slightest idea what they think they are being protected from by wearing this. They just feel safe. On top of not actually being protected from anything, if they were that worried, they probably shouldn’t be at the liquor store.
Drizly .com

:beerglass::beerglass:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Some new stuff out on the masks lately. Before, they were believed to be good because they kept you from infecting others. They were also good because it helps keep the wearer from touching their face. The new stuff I have been reading lately is about viral load. The masks will not keep you from breathing in the virus but they will reduce the viral load that is inhaled. Studies are now showing that those dying(assuming no preexisting conditions) were those that received higher viral load doses. The masks can help you to ingest a minimal amount compared to a lot.

The thing about using a bandana my help to keep it from spreading but it likely will not help the wearer to not ingest the virus. Th problem being cotton is so absorbent and will get wet and stay wet when you breathe and the virus will just stick to it, right where your mouth is.

Popular Science magazine has a DIY for masks using non woven polypropolyne. The stuff that many of the reusable shopping bags are made from.

But yeah, most of these people you see are doing everything wrong and thinking they are protecting themselves. Especially with the gloves. Gloves are not magic. I doubt they are changing them like they should be. My favorite was the lady in line at the grocery store. She used her HAND to cover her mouth the whole time. The idiot even checked out with one hand so she could continue keeping the other hand over her mouth and nose. You can't hold water in your hands but someone a virus cannot slip through your fingers? Plus touching your face is the number one way to contract this. She really threw Darwin a slow pitch! Probably a good thing to let Darwin do some housekeeping here.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Mrs OldChap would remind us that such face coverings only prevent the intake / outflow of large droplets, not smaller particles - which can also infect. You must go to an N95 (or higher rated) close-fitting mask to be completely protected / isolated. Those N95 masks should be reserved for healthcare workers.

Now if we had only been wise like some preppers and bought full up NBC kits! Of course wearing one for any length of time is a trying experience for the soul.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
One of the problems is that I see people wearing all this stuff but still touching their face. They touch everything with their gloved hands, then take off their gloves and still touch it, then touch their face even more. There was a hospital employee locally who decided to go in a COVID patients room wearing a surgical mask and contracted the virus. If the people wearing them are positive for the virus they should be staying home, not out buying alcohol. They are the ones who really need to be quarantined, not healthy working people.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Those N95 masks should be reserved for healthcare workers.
N95 masks are not perfect either, however, when doing anything strenuous they’re easier to breathe through than the N99 or N100s! That’s why we keep a variety of basic dust masks, P and N95/99/100 disposables and half frames with replacement filter elements, to balance need/risk.

But I disagree with the premise that these masks should be reserved for only healthcare workers. This is a statement made often in the press, and it’s made without caveats. What about a year from now? What about people with medical conditions? What about people with jobs who also use and need them? What about people like me who bought a small personal and family supply for events just such as this long before this current pandemic? What about people who live near a nuclear plant and have these as a precaution if there’s a meltdown?

As with many topics, sound bytes and bumper sticker phrases miss a lot of important nuance.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Masks are definitely better than fabric, but none of it is effective if still bringing it into house and set on counter or touching face or not washing after out.

As far as fabric goes, really need to look at the type of fabric or else it will not be very effective. Multiple layers of a tight woven fabric is going to be better. Viruses are very small, so any breathable fabric is most likely going to allow the virus to pass through therefore multiple layers has a better chance of stopping it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts