Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Wonderful. Covering one's face is illegal in some twisted places. Lock them up!:rolleyes:
Masks are generally illegal for wear in public here in Virginia, although I doubt the cops are actively enforcing this law unless it's an add-on to something else. I wonder if the VA Gov will proclaim masks as being legal for public wear during his stay-home-through-10 June order.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Masks are generally illegal for wear in public here in Virginia, although I doubt the cops are actively enforcing this law unless it's an add-on to something else. I wonder if the VA Gov will proclaim masks as being legal for public wear during his stay-home-through-10 June order.
§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person over 16 years of age to, with the intent to conceal his identity, wear any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon (a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device, or (b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver. The violation of any provisions of this section is a Class 6 felony.
Based on the fact the law requires intent to conceal one's identity to be deemed illegal, the wearing of masks due to a public health crisis should not need an exemption. But, w/o the governor implementing that declaration, I could see that wearing a mask could be used as justification to stop someone.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

Based on the fact the law requires intent to conceal one's identity to be deemed illegal, the wearing of masks due to a public health crisis should not need an exemption. But, w/o the governor implementing that declaration, I could see that wearing a mask could be used as justification to stop someone.
As I said in another post, in January a young black lady was arrested and charged in Richmond under that law, even though she was happy to show her face to the officers and said she was just trying to keep warm. It took a month and pressure from the ACLU to get the charges dropped. Some cops feel that if the mask you put on does conceal your identity, then you must have had an intent to conceal your identity. Richmond police and prosecutors do a lot of weird stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
As I said in another post, in January a young black lady was arrested and charged in Richmond under that law, even though she was happy to show her face to the officers and said she was just trying to keep warm. It took a month and pressure from the ACLU to get the charges dropped. Some cops feel that if the mask you put on does conceal your identity, then you must have had an intent to conceal your identity. Richmond police and prosecutors do a lot of weird stuff like that.
It's crap like that which turns people against the police.

·
Registered
33,951 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Well an squishy stuff Sherlock. The recommendation to not wear masks was always about giving time for medical centers to stockpile.

Reserving N95 masks for healthcare workers? No, absolutely not. I witnessed staff wearing ppe in stores this week. So too did my wife. Staff are stealing these supplies. Whether for personal use or for their family members no special treatment.

I planned ahead and purchased N95 masks way back in December when I witnessed first hand blogger video smuggled out of China.

Surgical masks are not available now. Can’t get them anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Well an squishy stuff Sherlock. The recommendation to not wear masks was always about giving time for medical centers to stockpile.

Reserving N95 masks for healthcare workers? No, absolutely not. I witnessed staff wearing ppe in stores this week. So too did my wife. Staff are stealing these supplies. Whether for personal use or for their family members no special treatment.

I planned ahead and purchased N95 masks way back in December when I witnessed first hand blogger video smuggled out of China.

I believe this to be true.

Although wearing masks may not guarantee full protection for “civilians”, for the many reasons mentioned, they are of at least “some” benefit. The narrative about not wearing masks was a lie to save the existing inventory for healthcare. I really resent being lied to by the health experts.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I went to restock on alcohol the other day. Never seen a liquor store so packed on a Wednesday morning. It was comical seeing the people wearing gloves, masks, masks and gloves etc. the people who are doing this don’t have the slightest idea what they think they are being protected from by wearing this. They just feel safe. On top of not actually being protected from anything, if they were that worried, they probably shouldn’t be at the liquor store.
Maybe more people will die from an exploding liver than from COVID-19........

·
Registered
7,849 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Some new stuff out on the masks lately. Before, they were believed to be good because they kept you from infecting others. They were also good because it helps keep the wearer from touching their face. The new stuff I have been reading lately is about viral load. The masks will not keep you from breathing in the virus but they will reduce the viral load that is inhaled. Studies are now showing that those dying(assuming no preexisting conditions) were those that received higher viral load doses. The masks can help you to ingest a minimal amount compared to a lot.

The thing about using a bandana my help to keep it from spreading but it likely will not help the wearer to not ingest the virus. Th problem being cotton is so absorbent and will get wet and stay wet when you breathe and the virus will just stick to it, right where your mouth is.

Popular Science magazine has a DIY for masks using non woven polypropolyne. The stuff that many of the reusable shopping bags are made from.

But yeah, most of these people you see are doing everything wrong and thinking they are protecting themselves. Especially with the gloves. Gloves are not magic. I doubt they are changing them like they should be. My favorite was the lady in line at the grocery store. She used her HAND to cover her mouth the whole time. The idiot even checked out with one hand so she could continue keeping the other hand over her mouth and nose. You can't hold water in your hands but someone a virus cannot slip through your fingers? Plus touching your face is the number one way to contract this. She really threw Darwin a slow pitch! Probably a good thing to let Darwin do some housekeeping here.
These masks, including the N95 models, aren't intended to keep the wearer from being infected. The idea is to prevent symptomatic and asymptomatic people from infecting others when they sneeze or cough. Nice idea but everyone needs to do it in order to effectively cut down on transmission. Good luck in enforcing that.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Mrs OldChap would remind us that such face coverings only prevent the intake / outflow of large droplets, not smaller particles - which can also infect. You must go to an N95 (or higher rated) close-fitting mask to be completely protected / isolated. Those N95 masks should be reserved for healthcare workers.

Now if we had only been wise like some preppers and bought full up NBC kits! Of course wearing one for any length of time is a trying experience for the soul.
I'd like to have a hazmat suit but that'll probably freak out the shoppers........

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
The County Executive here made the recommendation yesterday for all people out in public.
I had already planned to bandana it, as I don't have any particle masks and I don't want to go full on with my bead blasting respirator.

I don't need to go to a store for a while anyway. I can bake my own bread and I have powdered milk, which isn't bad at all.
I was going to stuff one in my pocket when I go fishing in case someone gets closer than I want, or are upwind.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Reactions: OD*

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

So, is the government demanding that private citizens, who prepared for events like this, turn in whatever N95 masks they have even if it's only 6 of them? Will someone go to jail over this?

·
Registered
341 Posts
OMG. Is it really this difficult. This is a classic example of why the Government sucks at getting stuff done (any administration).

Trump announces new face mask recommendations after heated internal debate

Wear a dang mask if you go out! or Not!

A week of "heated deliberations"! I would imagine that the national pandemic readiness plan (which I assumed there was one ) already had this addressed. You would think that no one ever anticipated or prepared for a pandemic.

It is almost like there was no checklist or anything.:twak:

Trump said the recommendations, which came after a week of heated deliberations inside the White House, were voluntary and that he would not partake.
"I don't think I'm going to be doing it," he said.
After weeks of insisting Americans should not wear face masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus -- and even suggesting their use could increase the chance of infection -- administration officials this week engaged in an internal debate over reversing course, according to people familiar with the matter.
Behind the scenes, officials were divided about the wisdom of advising Americans to cover their faces in public, which some fear could cause a lapse in the social distancing efforts that remain officials' best hope of preventing further spread.

·
Registered
33,951 Posts
Red bandana. Blue bandana. Which one won't get me shot?
The pink one.

I am seriously considering digging into my son's chemical warfare gear in the garage and donning it for my afternoon walk around the neighborhood. I'd probably die of heat exhaustion, but it would be worth it to scare the crap out of everyone.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
These masks, including the N95 models, aren't intended to keep the wearer from being infected. The idea is to prevent symptomatic and asymptomatic people from infecting others when they sneeze or cough. Nice idea but everyone needs to do it in order to effectively cut down on transmission. Good luck in enforcing that.
Yes, they are not made to keep people from getting infected and are used to keep others from being infected. I agree obviously. That is how they have been and are being used.

What I was referring to are the new studies concerning viral load reduction with the masks, for the person wearing it. This is pretty neat stuff. While the mask will not prevent airborne transmission into the mouth or nasal passageways, it looks like it does reduce the viral load ingested. They have been finding that people dying from Covid-19, that were otherwise healthy, were subjected to high viral loads. Healthy people subjected to low viral load doses often ended up with the mild cases of corona.
Quite a few articles in the past few days. Some what they are saying is it can help you be less sick. I'll take less.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-04-01/why-wearing-mask-will-help-keep-you-getting-seriously-ill?fbclid=IwAR03iYAGJcq7XS4ksKyWZ8dqcO4nTZomUid1_9y7kGygY24elPiezbxaJnk

21 - 40 of 73 Posts