Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a few boxes of 'Expanding Full Metal Jacket' .45 cal bullets made by Federal. Have you seen these? They look almost like ball ammo, but they have a rubber inside the tip that squashes flat on impact. Maybe not as good as hollowpoint but better than ball. I think I might like these. I think anyone having feeding problems with hollowpoints, especially in short barreled .45's would solve their problem with these bullets. Anybody else have any experience with these?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
usually a Ball profile will help with guns having a chokeing problem with HP's

Hence Corbons powerball designed to be like a FMJ but expand like a hollow point sounds like the fedral ammo is based on same concept how abouts a Pic

Sometimes feed problems in short barrel 45's can be a lot of things .. slightly out of time bad extractor and of course bad mag

I would try a box see if it helps

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I have yet to evaluate these but in theory they seem to have a lot going for them.

Average HP could thru heavy clothing do a ''cookie cutter'' deal and stuff up - thus possibly preventing any expansion. These fellas do seem to get round that - plus potential major feed benefits.

I guess an increase in reliability factor perhaps - both ballistic and function in gun.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Im way too buzzed right now to look up the thread. But someone from this forum told me about this round when I was concerned about HP's feeding from my .45. It seems like this would be a nice round, but its still abit new for me to change just yet.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I remember reading about them and wanted to try them out. However, I haven't seen them for sale yet locally. Please, give us a range report. Now here's something I'm curious about, I've heard both ways, that it is and isn't legal for the military to carry according to the various convetions and treaties, anyone have an actual answer?

A1C Lickey

I know how you feel gregarat, tonight was our squadron Christmas party. Probably the first time I've ever been glad I live on base.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Now here's something I'm curious about, I've heard both ways, that it is and isn't legal for the military to carry according to the various convetions and treaties, anyone have an actual answer?
This is the way I understand it, I may be wrong. Our military is restricted to using ball ammo against another country. Against terrorists, insurgents, etc, using HP, and other ammo is oky-doky:hand10: . Here's the stupid part. To my understanding, our military doesn't have to abide to the Hague thingy, we choose to:confused:

I know how you feel gregarat, tonight was our squadron Christmas party. Probably the first time I've ever been glad I live on base.
Im, just a night home with the ol'lady. But Its rare we both have the same time off, much less a night.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
FMJ-- ?? There are several reasons that the U.S. military (mostly) uses FMJ ammo. To kill our emenies humanely is not one of them. In the last 30 years or so our military has branched out to allot of sub-branches and sub-sub-branches. They all evaluate weapons and ammo and come up what will suit their"mission" the best. Within a platoon,squad,or fire team,their can be 2-4(or so) different calibers used. Within those calibers their could(can) be a couple of different loadings. With different bullets and or powder charges. There are certin groups of the US military that use their own hand loaded ammo. You can imagine the stuff that they use. But for the most part, ammo requests are forwarded up the chain of command,and what is wanted (if justified) is ok'ed,and sent on to the manufacturers. Small lots are sent back to the specialized unit for their evaluation/approval. If given the "thumbs up" by the units,the manufacturer (Win,Fed,Rem,Speer,CorBon,etc.) will produce small lots that will be shipped directly back to these units for training and use in their upcomeing"projects". This works for other than small arms ammo also.Grenades,rockets,and some other air launched munitions are "speciality items". I think that it's great. At least in some cases,our soldiers are gettin' the speciality items that they need to protect themselves with -----and---oh yeah----kick the crap outta the BG's with.------------

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Preliminary Range Report

Well I just got back from the gun club where I tried out the Hawg 9 again. I have good news. It works beautifully. No FTF or FTE's!! I just hadn't cleaned it before using it. Lesson learned!! I did not take any targets with me so I just emptied it into the backstop a couple of mags worth. It shot like it was supposed to. I will try to get back out with some targets and let you know how accurate it is as soon as possible. Maybe tommorrow but I can't promise. Thanks for all your help and encouragement during this uncertain time. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hank - glad to hear a good result. Relief eh! :smile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is a cut away pic..I found the efmj to be Inconsistent performer in my tests.I would not use it unless I was in a state that had a ban of hollow points.
Joe Zambone of magsafe fame had a expanding FMJ that he sold,years before federal came out with the emfj that was a better performer IMO.

·
Super Moderator
22,002 Posts
Do you have any photo's of Zambone's Magsafe "Q" loading? I think it may be a little premature to say it was a better performer than Burczynski's EFMJ, no?

If they bring it out in 230 grain, I'll look hard at it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Joes long gone(RIP) and so is the MAGSAFE expanding FMJ New Jersey Q design.It was a better design IMO he just never had the time to work out the rough edges,but thats a moot point at this time.BTW Zambones original "SWAT" round in .45acp was a very tissue destructive FMJ profile round but it had limited range and low penetration.

I have tested other FMJ expanding type designed rounds over the years and found them all to be lacking in some way over a standard high quality HP design..but I guess the FMJ expanding rounds are a compromise at best for those that can not carry a HP or have feeding issues:embarassed:

If I had to carry a FMJ profile round I would use cor-bon PWR-BALL .

FWIW-The .45acp round in the 2nd and 3rd pic was the best FMJ type expanding round I ever tested it was a prototype built by the out of biz...F/X Labs called the "X".Rounds were tested in hogs where they had great penetration,were very destructive/deadly and expanded everytime.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Me too!! I hope to get to the range and see how accurate it is. I think it is going to be deadly accurate. That would be the best way to describe it. After I verify it is working well and accurate then I will send it back to Para to get the ambi-saftey installed. Hope that doesn't take too long.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Range report on Hawg 9 -new

Well I just got back from the range and I am very pleased with the results. The little gun is very accurate! I only shot at 15 ft. as I figure I will never be further than that away from any attacker. If I am, I'll be running in the opposite direction. I even ran a few mosambique techniques and you can see the results. This is about 4 - 5 mags worth of ammo. So what do you think?

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The springfield is under the weather. Maybe I'm stupid or something, but after I field stripped it and put it back together I couldn't get the slide safety stop back in all the way. So I figured I would tap it with the handle of a nearby screwdriver. Not the thing to do! The slide safety stop is made out of pot metal. I thought it was stainless like the rest of the gun. NOT!!!! It broke in halve!! After I got my bloodpressure down to acceptable levels, I ordered a new one from Wilson Combat. I ordered the stainless one that is supposed to be indestructable. I hope it fits and I can get on with my life!!!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Springfields are hard to get slide stop into for sure

Have to make sure you are pressing in on the plunger for the slide stop or there alsmot impossible to get in

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Bud White said:
Springfields are hard to get slide stop into for sure

Have to make sure you are pressing in on the plunger for the slide stop or there alsmot impossible to get in
I sneak up on the plunger on my SA 1911 from below. Seems to fall in place without too much difficulty.

Glad to hear your Hawg is working well.

Anyonr try the power ball ammo?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts