Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - flying with the family soon on vacation. Never air traveled with the kids before so I did some research on tips for getting through TSA security smoothly at the airport. Read some stories about kids being detained because "bomb residue" was detected.

Further reading revealed about how the TSA swabs people and their stuff to test for this.

Question - could GSR cause a positive result on their swab test?

My son thinks my range bag is the coolest bag ever. I told him he could use it as his carry-on bag for the trip. I'm sure it has GSR all over it.

Leave the range bag at home?

·
Registered
50 Posts
On a school field trip I had one student test positive for bomb residue at John Wayne Airport in Anaheim, CA. The took him aside (just out of the main line so it could continue) and did some more tests but let him through. After his ordeal I asked him what he had done to get picked, and it was the shorts he used, wore, when shooting varmints and other things in the woods behind his house, he probably also had shot fireworks with them too. No biggie and he survived the extra security just fine. They may want to look closer at the bag, but it should be no big deal and add a little excitement to the process of TSA clearance at the airport. By the way we had flown from Oklahoma, through Dallas, through Phoenix on the way to Anaheim, and this happened on the return flight.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would not use a range bag for air travel. Not because of GSR, but you might never know what you might have missed inside the bag (e.g. bullet casings, live ammo, a gun, etc). I've read stories about people who have done that, and it is not something I want to experience myself.

just my $0.02

Reactions: phreddy

·
Registered
46,044 Posts
My son used to drive TSA nuts when returning home from his Navy reserve duty. Of course, being in EOD one tends to get all kinds of nasty stuff on clothing, etc. when dealing with explosives for training purposes.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If he were a really cool son, he would buy you a new, better one and take your hand me downs. Course, I don't know how old he is and he may not be buying stuff yet.

If you were a really cool Dad you'd buy him his own :lolp:

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you were a really cool Dad you'd buy him his own :lolp:
Yeh, I agree with Rock and Glock, buy him his own airline and TSA is no problem. In fact, if you acted as the TSA, you could get a cushy government retirement and free knives you take from the passengers. :danceban:

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
The short answer is no. Before I retired I always travelled armed and carried extra ammo, mags etc in my checked baggage with no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.