Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone who carries regularly do so in a tuckable that he really likes? My normal mode of carry for my LTW Commander is in a Sparks Versa Max I've had for years. I've tried various tuckables, but I only found one that I was comfortable with - a Fist - and I mean comfortable only in that I was certain I would not lose concealment. It was very thin Kydex, and the old Colt just flat disappeared when carried in it. However, the hook (a broad, flat affair if that makes sense) broke only after four months. I used it almost exclusively during that time, and I loved the holster, but buying a replacement holster or hook every four months?! Nah ... don't think so.

I'd love to see someone who really does have long-term success with a tuckable to provide some info on it. If possible, I'd like to know of a system that's pretty much invisible (no straps around the belt, etc, and yet secure. May just be dreamin'.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
998 Posts
I used an Alessi Ghost for quite some time with good results.

The best tuckable holster that I have used though is an Action-Direct Defender bellyband. I think that there are some other brands that work as well but cost less.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I REALLY wanted to find a tuckable solution too. I've tried several; the most recent being a ComTac tuckable; I hope you find someone who's been successful in finding such a solution but I've come to the conclusion that tuckables are one of those ideas that sound good but are of little practical value for the following reasons:
1. If they do have two or even one belt clip, that clip stands out like a sore thumb as there's nothing associated with it like keys, pager, etc. Now some make those accessories to camoflauge the clip but if we're talking business casual/tucked shirt, we might not want dangling keys and fewer and fewer people are using pagers as more folks go with cells. I've had co-workers comment on the clip from a knife and would be afraid someone, one day, would ask "hey, whats that clip on your belt for?" Then what? :redface:
2. If you use the velcro options (they stick on the inside of your belt so you don't see any clip) then you still see the bulge of the weapon where the belt runs over the top of it. IMHO that bulge is prints real bad, even with small weapons like my Kahr.
3. In order for a weapon not to print with a tucked shirt, it has to be quite loose and somewhat "bloused" at the bottom. Not the way I like to wear a tucked in shirt. Makes it look a bit more sloppy.

I finally gave us and resigned myself to either wearing some type of cover garment with IWB or going to pocket carry.

I think the bigger you are the more options there are but I think tuckable's are more prone to end up in the infamous hoster box than most.

Now, after all that, If someone's been able to be very successful at it, I'd certainly be interested in hearing how they do it! If I'm ever asked for my two cents, I'd recommend folks use their hard earned cash for a different option.

God Bless
Gideon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello All
I use a Texas Gun Leather "Texas Heritage IWB" with standard clips. It works very well for me and my Springfield Arms XD 9mm I carry everyday. Yes it has clips but I hide them with my cell phone. The construction of this holster is wonderfull and I have yet to have any problems with it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
When I carry "tucked", I use my Para 6.45 LDA with clipdraw. It disappears and is secure. Not everyone is comfortable with using a clipdraw-it works for me.

Dave

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent information, guys. In diggin' through the web, I also ran across these, for which I've found kudos across the net - the tuckables from www.highnoonholsters.com.

Wonder why no one makes a clip in anything but black? Sure, they hide pretty well under a black belt, but since I retired early from my professional life, I can't even remember the last time I wore a black belt. I'm almost always in kahki shorts or jeans, and a medium gray color would work better.

Reckon there might be a Forum Moderator here who might weigh in with ideas - or perhaps an offering? :wink:

Best,
Jon

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
BigJon said:
Reckon there might be a Forum Moderator here who might weigh in with ideas - or perhaps an offering? :wink:

Best,
Jon
I was gonna keep my big mouth shut here (my momma always said "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"), but you asked.
I truly, truly despise the entire "tuckable" concept. Why? Because lethal force situations are very stressful things, and under such stress fine motor skills go out the window. They (gunfights) are usually over pretty quick. Tuckables also require two hands to draw.
So, what you have is a holster that requires your weak hand to assist with the draw. That weak hand may be needed for something else - like fending off an attacker up-close, breaking your dive/fall toward cover, or shepherding your wife/kids behind cover while simultainously drawing and engaging the BG. You also have a holster that slows your draw time to a crawl, and greatly magnifies the "fumble factor". In short, I consider it to be a near perfect formula for getting killed with a gun stuck in your pants.
Please keep in mind that I am attacking the tuckable concept - not any makers execution of that concept. And to be truthful, there are a lot of people who disagree with my opinion. However, since you asked for "moderator input" and this particular sub-forum only has one mod, I am assuming that it was my opinion that you were asking for. :smile:
Please keep in mind that I do not wish to offend anyone. I DO wish to assist in your longevity.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I didn't chip in earlier but will add that I fully agree with Gary - I know choices get limited sometimes and better to still have a gun but - access is a major issue IMO.

Mind you, so is ankle, SmartCarry etc - but anyways I just find the tuckable concept strikes me as most undesirable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gary,

There are definately going to be times when one must where their shirt tucked - and an overgarment is not going to be an option - at least not a permanent one. What is your advice in that situation?

·
Registered
516 Posts
CombatEffective said:
The best tuckable holster that I have used though is an Action-Direct Defender bellyband.
I agree.

When I bought my Kahr it came with a Don Hume IWB that I didn't much care for, but I took the clip off it and sewed it into the Action-Direct Defender and now have a pretty awesome belly band for those rare occasions that I need a tuckable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think we are too critical of the bulge or print. Its easy to spot when you are looking for it. I have worked in plain clothes details in NYC with a untucked golf shirt covering gun,mags, cuffs etc.-I cannot not tell you how many of the people never noticed the bulges-after to talking to people for 30 minutes they would say Oh you guys are cops?
I'm all for concealment and understand how not being concealed could cause problems.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Hi Joe,

For a situation like you described (an office casual dress environment, for example), the combination of a pocket holster and an ankle rig really shines. When standing - the pocket holster is readily accessible (and super fast if your hand was already in the pocket in advance of drawing). When crouching or kneeling, an ankle rig is readily accessable - and also much faster (from a kneel) than a tuckable could ever possibly be. So whatever position you are in, you have a gun instantly available to you. (You also have the added advantage of automatically having a backup gun on you)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gary and P95 - I'm surprised atcha, bros! I think you're comin' up a hair short on the analysis on this one. Like ANY OTHER mode of carry, a tuckable is good choice where the costs of carrying in a better way outweight the benefits.

Belly bands and ankle holsters also require two hands, and the ankle holster's even slower because you also have to drop down to where your weapon is. I don't use them (except an ankle holster when I sleep in a hotel room), but some folks do, and that's fine - for them the benefits outweigh the costs.

Now, if we could, most of us would probably carry in an un-covered holster, but we don't. Why? Because the costs of doing so outwiegh the benefits.

And, if we could carry uncovered, that would be ideal, right? Well, arguably, no - some would feel better off carrying an SMG, repeating rifle or a shotgun. But, again, they don't. Why? Yep - the old cost/benefit thing again.

Consider getting dressed to go to a summer gathering, outside, in Central Florida, where the attire requires kahkis and a tucked-in shirt. Your options are a belly band, ankle holster, pocket holster, or a tuckable. Which would you choose? Whichever you choose is fine - that's the one for you, since for you, it's benefits outweighed its costs for that situation. IMO, none of the others has anything much over a tuckable as far as utility goes. But then, that opinion is the product of MY subjective cost/benefit analsys.

Finally, consider this: If a tuckable, or belly band is the factor that will allow one to carry instead of leaving his weapon in the car, and one prefers a tuckable to a belly band, I'd say its benefits outweight its costs. They sure would for me. And as for a tuckable getting you killed, I'd say if your options are (1) carry in a tuckable or (2) not carrying at all, it is the former option that may actually save your life.

Just food for thought. Okay, now REALLY let me have it! :wink:

Best,
Jon

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gary Brommeland said:
For a situation like you described (an office casual dress environment, for example), the combination of a pocket holster and an ankle rig really shines. When standing - the pocket holster is readily accessible (and super fast if your hand was already in the pocket in advance of drawing). When crouching or kneeling, an ankle rig is readily accessable - and also much faster (from a kneel) than a tuckable could ever possibly be. So whatever position you are in, you have a gun instantly available to you. (You also have the added advantage of automatically having a backup gun on you)
I agree about pocket carry - do it a lot myself. However, it's not ideal for me (the old subjective-decision thing again) for office. First, it takes up a whole pocket. Second, I can carry a larger handgun IWB without it printing. Third, an ankle rig shows if I sit down. Have never been able to get one not to - it either shows outright or looks like I have a tumor on my leg. Just my thoughts - not to say that you're wrong, which you aren't - for you. See what I'm gettin' at?

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
125 Posts
I carry tuckable every day and I do not need 2 hands to draw ever. I uncover and draw in a single motion. It took practice but it can be done and I DO LOVE THE PRACTICE. I would love to carry open but alas that I am not allowed except at home.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Gary - thanks for the advice. I have pocket carried but have not tried an ankle holster. I may play around with that option.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gary Brommeland said:
Please keep in mind that I am attacking the tuckable concept - not any makers execution of that concept. And to be truthful, there are a lot of people who disagree with my opinion. However, since you asked for "moderator input" and this particular sub-forum only has one mod, I am assuming that it was my opinion that you were asking for. :smile:
Please keep in mind that I do not wish to offend anyone. I DO wish to assist in your longevity.
Are there significant disadvantages to tuckables when they are being used as untucked IWB? I plan to be untucked most of the time I carry, but I can foresee some cases where the choice will be tuck or leave the gun home. My wife and I are going from non-gun-owners to CCW all at once. In a couple of years we are likely to have a variety of handguns and holsters, but short-term I need multi-duty gear, working on the assumption that it's better to carry now than it is to wait until the day after we need it for the perfect rig for a specific situation.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
sevesteen said:
Are there significant disadvantages to tuckables when they are being used as untucked IWB? I plan to be untucked most of the time I carry, but I can foresee some cases where the choice will be tuck or leave the gun home. My wife and I are going from non-gun-owners to CCW all at once. In a couple of years we are likely to have a variety of handguns and holsters, but short-term I need multi-duty gear, working on the assumption that it's better to carry now than it is to wait until the day after we need it for the perfect rig for a specific situation.
Howdy!

IMHO, tuckable holsters do have a couple of possible disadvantages over a standard IWB when carried "un-tucked". First, they are often thicker and bulkier than a regular IWB, and the belt mounting systems are possibly less secure as well - these factors do depend upon how the holster is constructed and may not apply to all "tuckables".
I don't know if this helps or not. Please feel free to call if you'd care to discuss the specifics of your particular situation. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody use the Mitch Rosen Workman tuckable?

I've been looking at the Workman tuckable from Mitch Rosen. Has anyone tried this one?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts