Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, since I'm living here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, soon I won't be able to buy ammo without a permit and background check, which simply adds to the cost of the ammo, and also adds your name to state watch lists if you buy in bulk. While I of course qualify for the permit to buy ammo, I don't need the extra cost nor the extra scrutiny of being on some government nutcase's watch list. But, I try to shoot often, with my wife and my adult children. To that end, spare dollars are being turned into stored rounds as fast as the dollars become spare...i.e. I'm stocking up now, while I can.

I've found some steel cased TulAmmo 9mm round (my most often used caliber) for $158/1000rds. I've only used brass, never steel or aluminum cases. Anyone have any experience with these steel encased rounds? Any worries about rust, etc? How about the aluminum rounds? Note that my local range does not allow steel, but my backyard berm will accept whatever I throw. Any advice? Things to be aware of or look for?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I only buy 9mm ammo...I reload all other calibers that I shoot. I am always looking for cheap 9mm ammo...have shot the Tula steel cased and it functions fine in my guns. I have also shot a lot of the alum and it runs like a champ, also.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I have no experience with steel cased ammo. I do have extensive experience with Blazer Aluminum. It's great stuff in a Glock and probably most other pistols. My Colt Commander did not like it.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
It can be a bit dirty, but I shot a ton of it during the last ammo panic. I'd buy it at that price if my range allowed steel cased ammo.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
There is a lot of hype surrounding steel cased ammo.

It will cause some extra wear and tear on your extractor and the bimetal bullets will degrade your barrel a bit faster. But it takes thousands of rounds to do so and the cost savings are plenty that the cost of a new barrel will be far less than than the huge savings you'll get with buying steel cased ammo.

Reactions: Aceoky and LeanHard

·
Registered
202 Posts
Works great in all my pistols (9mm and 45). No experience in rifle calibers. There are videos out there with some folks reloading the steel cases, mostly in 357.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I shoot alot of it at the indoor ranges hust so I dont feel guilty about not picking up the brass. :)

P.S. I like the time that this thread was made! :)

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
Steel cased ammo is what I shoot most. Assuming Im not shooting my reloads.

Why? Its actually good ammo, and cheaper. My Fighting Pistols are 9mm, Glocks. Works great. I have shot more Wolf brand than any other.

Tulammo I have shot 2nd most often. Its good stuff.

Id guess that the majority of students going through Tactical Responses Fighting Pistol course, (1,000 rounds in two days), shoot steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I know that it's harder on the extractor claw and is the same price as the federal aluminum which runs perfectly in my pistols, so I can't say I have any experience with the tula steel, but only because I trust federal ammo more for stocked ammo and aluminum is softer on my extractor and feel it's less likely to stick to the chamber if I'm running a neglected gun. This is just my opinion and when I buy this stuff It's more for a prepping reason then for range ammo.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
The Tula pistol ammo has run fine in all my guns, however, I have had a .223 rim bust off and fail to extract from an AR. That required pushing the case out with a cleaning rod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have shot quite a bit of TulAmmo 9mm and have had no issues at all. I buy it quite a bit because it's so much cheaper. Just be sure to clean your firearms after each trip, but that goes without saying.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not worth my effort. I don't like steal cased because of the ware on the extractor. I can't use it in my pf9 and when I have tried in on my 9E I've had some problems. Also very dirty. I would use it if I had a Makarov. That's all them Ruskis use.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
It can be a bit dirty, but I shot a ton of it during the last ammo panic. I'd buy it at that price if my range allowed steel cased ammo.
Your range wont let you shoot steel cased ammo?? That's the first I've heard of that....:scruntiny:
I shoot Tula ammo in two of my guns, my AR15 scary black rifle and my RIA 9mm 1911...no problems whatsoever with the ammo, just be sure you clean your weapon good before putting it away:smile:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Steel ammo feeds consistently in my Glock 19, but consistently fails to eject in my Taurus PT709 at a rate of at least once per magazine, causing a double feed issue, where I have to push the spent shell back into the barrel, eject the magazine, then shake out the live round and work the slide again to eject the spent casing. This happens only with the steel cased ammo in the Taurus, which has consistently fed all brass ammo after a break in period so I know it isn't just the pistol, though that pistol does have a reputation for eject issues according to articles I have read.

And, as was said earlier, it leaves the guns very dirty.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I have been using a lot of Perfecta brass 9mm ammo that shoots great and is about the same cost as Tula steel case. I actually like the Perfecta better than the Winchester White box which tends to be fairly dirty IME. Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Works just fine. Its dirty and isnt anything you would want to take to a Bullseye match...but if you are just going to the range for shooting/training it works just fine..ive ran it in everything from my HiPower to my Ruger SR9c and even my wives EAA Pavona works just like any other ammo..no failures no issues..just made the front white dot dirtier quicker than other ammos..that was about the only drawback I saw..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have been using a lot of Perfecta brass 9mm ammo that shoots great and is about the same cost as Tula steel case. I actually like the Perfecta better than the Winchester White box which tends to be fairly dirty IME. Good luck!
Me too I get this IF I can find it...ive also done Blazer Aluminum for almost the same cost(maybe $1.00-1.50 a box more which locally = $10.97-12 a box) and they also work great.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Your range wont let you shoot steel cased ammo?? That's the first I've heard of that....:scruntiny:
I shoot Tula ammo in two of my guns, my AR15 scary black rifle and my RIA 9mm 1911...no problems whatsoever with the ammo, just be sure you clean your weapon good before putting it away:smile:
It's an indoor range, they sell their brass and don't want to sort it. During the last panic they lifted the restriction and we could shoot whatever.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
It's an indoor range, they sell their brass and don't want to sort it. During the last panic they lifted the restriction and we could shoot whatever.
What IF you reload & pick up your own brass?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts