Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Smoked is about the only way I've found to make the whole bird worth the work. I usually just cut out the breast meat and go on. The legs and wings are usually super tough.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Congrats! Turkey hunting has to be my most favorite hunting of all.

Ain't no point in claiming the whole bird. The breast meat is the only good part about 'em, the rest is far too tough as Mr. Thin had said. This past Spring I had cut mine up into thumb sized cubes and deep fried it into popcorn bits. It was quite good and I'll likely do that again come April.

Forty-five yards ain't no slouch. The farthest I've dropped a bird was forty yards.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forty-five yards ain't no slouch. The farthest I've dropped a bird was forty yards.
I was lucky. I had seen a good sized flock in the morning at 0920 where I thought they would come through a fence opening. They came through lower and I followed them for about 200 yards before they busted me. There were three of us hunting, myself, my archery hunting mentor (who has no problem when I use a shotgun), and his brother. We went up the hill I saw the birds fly to, came down the other side, and crossed another fence. We could hear birds, called them, but they were moving away. We hustled down parallel to the fence but above the crest of the hill and came down below the corner in the fence. When we popped out into the open, the birds were just standing there. I was waiting for my archery buddy to make a move when we asked me if I could hit at that distance. I said I thought I could and too the shot. The bird immediately went down and by the time I crossed the fence it was motionless.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Brother Raven, your kill-distance is terrific! Yet your photo doesn't show neither beard nor spurs. Was that, uhhh... intentional? :hand5:

Please know that I'm ribbin' ya'. :congrats:

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Brother Raven, your kill-distance is terrific! Yet your photo doesn't show neither beard nor spurs. Was that, uhhh... intentional? :hand5:

I felt it rude to mention but since the cat is out of the bag... I'm curious as well. :smile:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Rude? Really? Well, if a friend brings a turkey to your house in the back of his pickup on the way home from a successful hunt, what's the first things you look at & talk about? Rude my Aunt Fanny's fanny! Raven and I are...pals! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Rude? Really? Well, if a friend brings a turkey to your house in the back of his pickup on the way home from a successful hunt, what's the first things you look at & talk about? Rude my Aunt Fanny's fanny! Raven and I are...pals! :biggrin2:
I felt it rude mentioning it myself as I am not really on a friendly level with any members. No "insult" intended. Usually the first thing I ask is how far and what did you shoot it with and bird specs come later.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Our fall hunt here is either sex. Our spring hunt is any bearded turkey.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Both the Merriam's and Rio Grande reside in Utah though the Rio's, IIRC, were introduced. The tips of the tail on Raven's bird don't look white enough to be a Merriam. It probably is a hybrid or a Rio. Or even an odd looking Merriam. Guess we'll have to hear back from the OP.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it is a Merriam. But there is no specification on what you can take.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I thought the tail looked just like what came up on google as a Merriam. I need to find a way West to hunt. I would like to add a Merriam and a Rio to my wall.

I have had good results roasting them in the oven,but being extra careful not to over cook. The last one was skinless, so I covered it completely in bacon. Turned out perfect.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had good results roasting them in the oven,but being extra careful not to over cook. The last one was skinless, so I covered it completely in bacon. Turned out perfect.
Just finished eating it! Cooked it for two hours in the oven. My wife stuffed the inside with cranberries and a sliced up orange. We covered the outside with bacon. Turned out perfect, very moist and tasty. Lots of meat leftover.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Nice, bacon is a miracle food.

Now put the carcass in a big pot with unpeeled onions and other veggies, simmer long time makes wonderful soup.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I thought the tail looked just like what came up on google as a Merriam. I need to find a way West to hunt. I would like to add a Merriam and a Rio to my wall.

The reason I'm not 100% behind it being a Merriam is because my Merriam and my father's have very white tail tips and my father's Rio has tan tips and looks more like the picture in the OP, to me at least. I wouldn't rule out a hybrid of the two because they are known to exist where Raven said he was hunting.

Both are very fun to hunt. I have yet to claim a Rio but I got plenty of years ahead of me.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
All I know are Wisconsin birds. Signed up tonight! It's my favorite hunting. I just hope for a little later Spring as I always get third week, cooler weather limits the ticks.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All I know are Wisconsin birds. Signed up tonight! It's my favorite hunting. I just hope for a little later Spring as I always get third week, cooler weather limits the ticks.
Have not encountered ticks here on turkeys, nor on my buck in October also here in Utah. But definitely a ton of ticks on the pig I took in California a couple years back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts