Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was day four of my turkey hunt this fall. Things were very slow the first three days I went out. I would hear birds in the distance, but could not find them. The warm weather we had probably was keeping the birds up on the mountain.

For the last two days we have colder weather as well as rain and a bit of snow. Not really enough snow to make tracking them easy, but at least enough to get them to move. I started hiking at about 0620 to the sound of a pack of coyotes nearby.

I wasn't seeing birds in the places we usually might see them but at about 0845 I spotted of about 30+ very large birds 150 yards away on a steep knoll. I knew I could not climb where they were without slipping and sliding and making a racket, so I tried to anticipate where they might come out on the other side of the hill and moved around there. However, by the time I got there, they had taken off for parts unknown....

Dawn.jpg
The temperature before sunrise was 26 degrees.

Creek LR.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Sorry, but I accidentally tweeted you'd be out there looking to bag one for Thanksgiving! :redface: I guess turkeys "do read tweets"! :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
A morning spent in God's creation is worth being outsmarted by whatever game I might be after.

Beautiful pics!
What he said! ^^^^ :yup:

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your thread title made me laugh.
Great looking countryside pics.
Thanks for your kind words. The area is a WMA (Wildlife Management Area - hunting allowed) about 20 minutes from my house. It's not particularly large, but it holds turkey, deer, and sometimes even elk. I would swear I smelled an elk in there this morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts