Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps some saw this TV show about an "off the grid" family was trying to rescue a newbe family off grid in wilderness in Colorado.

At their homestead they have a bear problem, so one of the guys takes the woman of the homestead to the LGS to buy something to protect herself against bears...black bear I think. The woman had never fired a handgun and the guy recommended the .357mag wheel gun with a 4in barrel. Looked like a SW.

Now, my question to you and what I thought about, is that what I would recommend? She handled a .44Mag, she could not reach the trigger. I thought get the girl a 12gage with slugs. I would consider a .357mag a marginal weapon going up against a charging bear. Surprising was that the man helping the woman with the gun choice was an Alaskan who's father that was with them was a hunter guide in Alaska. What would you weapon other than a 155 self propelled howitzer going against a bear. Almost forget...yes shot placement is king and if you stab the bear with a sharp stick in the heart...all that ceded.

·
Super Moderator
18,246 Posts
My personal preference would be a 12GA loaded with slugs backed up by a minimum a 357Mag revolver but a 44Mag with 240gr JSPs is even better. JSPs because I want more penetration before they start to mushroom.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
I remember the show "Homestead Rescue." The woman wouldn't even try anything bigger than a .22! I was surprised that they got her to shoot the.357. And she shot it pretty well! I think they did as well as she would let them do for her! DR

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
A .357 magnum, with the right load will handle black bear. Better she have a .357 on her side than a 12 gauge at home!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Best answer - Bear Spray!!! Lighter than a bear stopping gun. Less accuracy required. Less practice required. Non lethal
Also safer for all involved. Spray a bear with bear spray and sound an air horn and its most likely going to take off. Shoot a bear in the wrong spot or with the wrong gun and you might as well bend over pucker up and kiss your but goodbye. Even a mortality wounded bear is capable of doing some serious damage. If you don't know what you are doing best to leave the Bears alone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is interesting. I've actually been researching this topic because of an interest in going into the wilds of Alaska, not for hunting but as a photographer.

The overall opinion is that firing on a bear is usually useless and just gets it madder. First plan is avoidance. Second is slowly get away. This works most of the time. If needed, high quality bear spray works better than firearms. But it doesn't work all the time.

So now on to shooting to protect yourself. It's all about penetration. SD we look for rounds that make the grade for the FBI Ballistic Test, this does not work on an animal that has 2 to 3 feet of fat, muscle, and bone between you and their vitals. Also, some of the info presented theorizes that due to the weight of the animal, the wound channel collapses on itself and thus stops the bleeding.

Though many rounds and weapons were discussed, the big point of all the articles was penetration. So keep that in mind. The favorite listed was the lever actions in 45/70 with something from it similarly loaded from Buffalo Bore.

My vote for rifle is the stainless Marlyn 1895 Guide Lever Action with the 500 gr penetrators from Buffalo Bore. For handgun a 1911 10mm Long Slide loaded with something like the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I get the bear spray thing, it makes more sense. But I know me personally, I want a backup just in case if I'm gonna be spraying something at a bear

·
Registered
938 Posts
Does bear spray work guaranteed on all bears? Cuz pepper spray doesn't work on all humans.
It doesn't work on some humans because they are whacked out on drugs. I haven't heard that bears have a drug problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does bear spray work guaranteed on all bears? Cuz pepper spray doesn't work on all humans.
No. But the statistics I saw shows it works more often than shooting the bear. So it's a better Go To than a gun.

Of course avoidance works the best.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is interesting. I've actually been researching this topic because of an interest in going into the wilds of Alaska, not for hunting but as a photographer.

The overall opinion is that firing on a bear is usually useless and just gets it madder. First plan is avoidance. Second is slowly get away. This works most of the time. If needed, high quality bear spray works better than firearms. But it doesn't work all the time.

So now on to shooting to protect yourself. It's all about penetration. SD we look for rounds that make the grade for the FBI Ballistic test, this does not work on an animal that has 2 to 3 feet of fat, muscle, and bone between you and their vitals. Also, some of the info presented theorizes that due to the weight of the animal, the wound channel collapses on itself and thus stops the bleeding.

Though many rounds and weapons were discussed, the big point of all the articles was penetration. So keep that in mind. The favorite listed was the lever actions in 45/70 with something from it similarly loaded from Buffalo Bore.

My vote for rifle is the stainless Marlyn 1895 Guide Lever Action with the 500 gr penetrators from Buffalo Bore. For handgun a 1911 10mm Long Slide loaded with something like the Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators.

Obvious solution:

Magnum Research .45/70 Revolver

Untitled55.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts

So now on to shooting to protect yourself. It's all about penetration. SD we look for rounds that make the grade for the FBI Ballistic test, this does not work on an animal that has 2 to 3 feet of fat, muscle, and bone between you and their vitals. Also, some of the info presented theorizes that due to the weight of the animal, the wound channel collapses on itself and thus stops the bleeding.

Sorry but I HUGELY disagree with this post!!! I have had personal experience with using bear spray in Alaska with brown bears on MULTIPLE occasions over 20+ years. If it didn't work I would not be here posting. I have hunted and fished Alaska by myself and with guides off and on. I have NEVER met or spoken with a guide who said anything to the effect that bear spray doesn't work and only angers the bears. NEVER,
It works fantastically. Bears are not meth or other drug abusers. Bears don't spend time practicing with pepper spray so they won't be affected by it in hopes of being able to thwart cops. Bears only rarely get drunk. Bear spray should not be confused with the pepper spray attached to a key chain.

It works, it is far more dependable at stopping a charging bear than trying to hit a tiny window target that will drop a charging bear in his/her tracks. Trying to instantly stop a charging bear with a pistol - ANY pistol - is a crapshoot. They come so fast and if over uneven terrain that target is moving all over - oh, and don't forget the adrenalin blasting through your system.

Don't be confused or mislead by stories of hunting bears with a handgun. Carefully hunting a bear is a totally different situation than having one burst out of the brush within feet charging you. One is where you pick the target, range and control the "combat area". Yeah, I've read of people killing a grizzly with a small caliber handgun. I'm thrilled. Buy a lotto ticket while the luck lasts.

P5210776.jpg I do a bit of photography work myself. My wife had bear spray in hand when I took this image.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It doesn't work on some humans because they are whacked out on drugs. I haven't heard that bears have a drug problem.
You'd be surprised how many animals that are addicted to getting drunk on fermented fruit! We've all heard that old adage instant A&&[email protected]" [email protected]&$"? Just add alcohol. The last thing you want is to be around some drunk bear, or even worse, one with a hang over! I once had a bully goat that if you left a 5th of Jack Daniels around him with the cap off. He would down it like a glass of water in the Desert. I found that out by accident. Let me tell you he one hell of a mean drunk! He busted through a fence, rammed the crap out of the side of my pickup, busted up the lawn furniture, and pretty much destroyed a ridding lawn mower. After that no more bourbon for him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry but I HUGELY disagree with this post!!!
Wow. Did you read what I wrote? I listed 4 steps to to dealing with any bear issue. The Last step was firearm related. If, and only if it comes to shooting, I discussed ballistics that are readily available with honest research.

The discussion was what firearm, specifically a handgun would work.

This article does a good job of breaking it down and states Bear Spray is the most effective deterrent for a charging bear. However, it only works about 90% of the time. The good news is that of the 10%, no one was killed. It also states that most Alaskan guides know absolutely nothing about how to deal with a bear.

In this case your opinion matches facts. But you should try reading things once in awhile. You might find the guy you're being harsh with agrees with you.

http://www.adn.com/uncategorized/ar...e-pepper-spray-alaska-bear-attack/2011/08/17/

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I owe you an apology. I misread where you said shooting the bear only angers them and thought you were referring to shooting with pepper spray as it followed the post asking if pepper spray worked on bears because it doesn't always work on humans and then you mentioned spray doesn't always work on bears. Somehow I put 2 and 2 together and got 7. I apologize.

Oh and thanks for your kind words on the pic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts