Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this TRP new last Summer. I love it and I've carried it a few times, but there were some things that bugged me and I needed to address.

First of all, I like the looks of a magwell but I don't like the way it protrudes the grip. I replaced it with a standard MSH and got rid of the Springfield ILS system in the process:

Next, the ambi safety had to go because I hate them (and yes, I now know how to properly and safely replace one). :smile: It's now wearing an Ed Brown Tactical which is incredibly slim:

Next up was a set of slim grips (with slim bushings to accommodate, of course). These are made by RAASCO.

It makes a HUGE difference in the profile of the gun and feels much better to me.

(I wish my camera did them justice)

Next, since I ditched the add-on magwell, I decided to bevel the magazine well on the frame. Handheld files and LOTS of patience. I still have some "beautifying" work to do on it, but it functions very well.

(Here it is with less camera glare)

After all of this, I was even inspired to toss together a little makeshift display stand for pictures, as seen above.

:smile:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Nice springer, I'm curious about those slim grip. I would definitely have to try them before I buy them, did it feel too thin when you first felt them ?

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice springer, I'm curious about those slim grip. I would definitely have to try them before I buy them, did it feel too thin when you first felt them ?
In my case, I've put them on every 1911 I've ever had. I loved the feel instantly.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
The TRP is a beautiful defensive pistol, but I totally agree with your taste. Those are nice cosmetic upgrades to an already fine pistol.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Really nice! Thanks for the photos. :yup:

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
With all you did to it, why didnt you just get a custom job?

Don't get me wrong, nice pistol...

·
Premium Member
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With all you did to it, why didnt you just get a custom job?

Don't get me wrong, nice pistol...
For one, I wanted to learn to do some things for myself. The local gunsmithing shop has a 3-month backlog, and frankly, I wasn't impressed the last time they did work for me (I had a sight fall off). Another thing is that if I start with a reliable pistol, then I have no problem doing primarily cosmetic things like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts