1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I guess California's gun laws aren't working too well.

Maybe stronger gun laws would have prevented this from happening.

Authorities claim Vang is allegedly a known gang member and convicted rapist with a long history of violent criminal behavior. In their statement, the sheriff's office said Vang was sentenced to 19 years in prison in 1998 on multiple rapes charges involving teenagers aged 14 and under. He was released in 2014. Prior to Saturday, he had complied with all of the requirements of his parole, according to the statement.
Oh, I guess stronger gun laws might not have been very helpful after all. Something tells me Mr Vang doesn't have a lot of respect for laws.

I hope the officers recover quickly.

·
Registered
339 Posts
But, but, but - California has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country! The Fresno County Jail is a gun-free zone by law. The shooter was a convicted felon, thus prohibited by law to possess a firearm. You mean to tell me that violent criminals don't obey gun control laws? Who'd of thought?

Seriously, prayers sent for the wounded to make a full recovery.

Reactions: Whip12

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
"He was released in 2014."

:blink: and therein lies the problem :aargh4:

·
Registered
134 Posts
The corrections officers who are outside the 'locked' part of the jail and deal with visitors are seen simply as "cops." They should be equipped and trained accordingly. Not that it necessarily would have helped in this case, but the fact they were unarmed is pretty much insane.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Prior to Saturday, he had complied with all of the requirements of his parole, according to the statement.
Except possessing a firearm. :frown:

Prayers for full recovery for the officers.
Here, the county jail is guarded by Sheriff deputies. The officers' uniforms looked like deputies. Is that how it works in Fresno? (to address some of the opinions above)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sad....Hope and prayers for recovery of the 2 officers.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Except possessing a firearm. :frown:

Prayers for full recovery for the officers.
Here, the county jail is guarded by Sheriff deputies. The officers' uniforms looked like deputies. Is that how it works in Fresno? (to address some of the opinions above)
Corrections officers here do not have the power of arrest. With some additional training they can carry a gun. Both of these officers are qualified to carry a gun. But they do not carry while in the jail. The person assigned to work the lobby and public areas of the jail have not been armed, But Ill bet Tuesday morning there will be an armed officer in the lobby! DR

·
Registered
6,368 Posts
That people like Vang are released from prison is a travesty. The sooner the prisons are used appropriately, the better. :censored:
Just remember that our current POTUS has released/pardoned more prisoners than any other POTUS in history. I expect there will be more before he is out of office.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Maybe the poor, misguided young man just couldn't make it on the outside and just wanted back into his comfort zone...(Sarcasm) Let him rot..

Prayers for your friends.. Corrections officers are probably the least appreciated in LE.. They put up with a lot and face as much risk as any... Thank you and them for their service.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Any update on the OP's friends?

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
I guess California's gun laws aren't working too well.

Maybe stronger gun laws would have prevented this from happening.

Oh, I guess stronger gun laws might not have been very helpful after all. Something tells me Mr Vang doesn't have a lot of respect for laws.

I hope the officers recover quickly.
Agree!

Always find it amazing how some people will jump through hoops and act like good people only so they can one day surprise everyone or someone and act on what they feel there souls compel them to do even though they know it is wrong. . . . guess there is always that parole thing if they do get caught. :redface:

Is it really so hard to figure out that stricter laws, stricter sentences might be the problem/solution instead of guns/souls that have no heart beat of their own?

Prayers for your partners. This never should have been allowed to happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts