Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
An update on this. The prosecutor assigned after the initial prosecutor recused himself has recommended a case against both the father and the son who confronted the deceased go to a grand jury. Apparently there is video of the incident from a witness that purportedly shows that a shot was fired while the deceased was still running, before the struggle over the shotgun. Then during struggle, the shotgun was fired twice, killing the deceased.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-shooting-georgia/georgia-grand-jury-to-consider-charges-in-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man-idUSKBN22I02R

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Normally I can't read a full story from the New York Times because they will shut it down if I don't subscribe. I had no problem reading the whole story here. That tells me that the New York Times really wants people to read the story. The New York Times hasn't stood for anything honorable in the past so why are they so interested in this story. My guess is that the New York Times is trying to start racial unrest by allowing people to read one of their articles for a change. As far as I'm concerned the New York Times doesn't need to allow me to read anything if they don't allow me to read all of their stories. I can live without reading the New York Times and other news sources of their caliber.
The question that should be brought up about this situation is when is it justified for a citizen to make a citizens arrest. Can every citizen who sees a stranger in their neighborhood detain them with deadly force? When is it justified and when does it become vigilante?
Does every citizen have the right to stop anybody who is running through their neighbor hood and hold them with the threat of deadly force until they can prove themselves innocent of every crime that has ever happened in that part of town? If so how many times would you have a weapon pointed at you if you jogged every day?
Does the fact that you are a former law enforcement officer give you special privileges that other citizens don't have?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Normally I can't read a full story from the New York Times because they will shut it down if I don't subscribe. I had no problem reading the whole story here. That tells me that the New York Times really wants people to read the story. The New York Times hasn't stood for anything honorable in the past so why are they so interested in this story. My guess is that the New York Times is trying to start racial unrest by allowing people to read one of their articles for a change. As far as I'm concerned the New York Times doesn't need to allow me to read anything if they don't allow me to read all of their stories. I can live without reading the New York Times and other news sources of their caliber.
The question that should be brought up about this situation is when is it justified for a citizen to make a citizens arrest. Can every citizen who sees a stranger in their neighborhood detain them with deadly force? When is it justified and when does it become vigilante?
Does every citizen have the right to stop anybody who is running through their neighbor hood and hold them with the threat of deadly force until they can prove themselves innocent of every crime that has ever happened in that part of town? If so how many times would you have a weapon pointed at you if you jogged every day?
Does the fact that you are a former law enforcement officer give you special privileges that other citizens don't have?
In TX even a LEO cannot detain you unless they have RAS of a SPECIFIC crime. From what I have seen so far, these two idiots need to go to jail for a long time.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I won't bother with the NYT. Here is local coverage.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/georgia/2020/05/05/glynn-da-recommends-grand-jury-review-as-video-emerges-of-fatal-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man/

Man with the shotgun is a former state's attorney inspector. At first, no one wanted to touch the case.
I thought it was strange that even though there is a concern over the case not being handled fairly due to one of the suspects being former local law enforcement, the GBI is not taking over case. Rather, the GBI is getting involved to investigate who leaked the cell phone video to the media. To me, that should be the least of anyone's worries at this point.

This would seem to call for the GBI taking over the case and a special prosecutor being appointed. The current prosecutor has recommended a grand jury, but prosecutors can pretty much lead a grand jury wherever they want.

·
Super Moderator
23,207 Posts
It's gonna be a mess. A big mess.

Based on what I've read, this has all of the makings of another disaster. Even after a Grand Jury. I'd guess even if the DOJ gets involved it'll be a mess. A hot mess, in time for summer on top of SARS CoV-2.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
I can't make a call from a video, of course, but it looks pretty bad for the two shooters.

Hopefully this is investigated impartially and fully, and, if warranted, the men are charged and tried.

An unarmed man is shot dead in the street, it doesn't get more serious than that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
To those saying that they killed an innocent man, I'll hold off before passing final judgement. There are too many unknowns at this point. This may have actually started out as a legal citizens arrest. There have been a string of burglaries in the area. I've heard that there is surveillance video of the dead guy stealing constructuon materials or tools from a house under construction immediately prior to this incident in the street. I have not seen that video yet, but the video that's been posted does not look like a man out jogging for exercise. Whether you think citizens arrests are a good idea or not, I'm sure many do not, there are many situations where they are legal in GA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
I thought it was strange that even though there is a concern over the case not being handled fairly due to one of the suspects being former local law enforcement, the GBI is not taking over case. Rather, the GBI is getting involved to investigate who leaked the cell phone video to the media. To me, that should be the least of anyone's worries at this point.

This would seem to call for the GBI taking over the case and a special prosecutor being appointed. The current prosecutor has recommended a grand jury, but prosecutors can pretty much lead a grand jury wherever they want.
Kemp got the GBI on it, now, with BLM and Abrams on him.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/bring-charges-against-brunswick-shooter/fz7taEww0Nqfedg8JgXm2K/
Now, the investigation enters a whole new phase. GBI agents will now be asking the questions, backed by assurances from Gov. Brian Kemp they’ll conduct a thorough, independent probe. Kemp had not addressed the fatal Feb. 23 shooting that happened in Glynn County, outside the Brunswick city lines, until Tuesday. As word of the video spread, the governor took to Twitter, offering the GBI’s services to Atlantic Circuit District Attorney Tom Durden. It took the prosecutor less than an hour to accept.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If the deceased does indeed have a history of stealing, and there have been a string of thefts in that neighborhood, then he made his own bed. His luck ran out.
I'm going to have to disagree there. I've seen no report that the shooters knew about any history of thefts. Also, that doesn't seem like it would relevant anyway.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I class I took the attorney/judge said focus on being a good witness. My thought is be careful what you wish for. It is a fuzzy line from self defense to defendant not one I'm interested in exploring. My firearms are a last resort and not for being citizen cop for property issues. It is one thing to get unwillingly drawn into a confrontation but pursuing and creating the situation is another. This was so avoidable and should have never happed. Call 911 and be a witness instead of a possible future defendant.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
This is just another story that reminds us of the idea that you don't want to bring a loaded weapon into play unless you have to, unless you are truly in imminent fear of grave bodily harm of yourself, your loved ones or a truly innocent third party. The law might justify you to do so with a lesser level of threat in some states, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Bringing a gun into play to protect property or to effect a citizen's arrest where there is no threat, might be a defense in court, but doing so is still not a great idea.

I should caveat that someone breaking into your home can be assumed to be an imminent threat of grave bodily harm, but even then, some state laws may not agree.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
As more information comes out, I still don't know what to think. This situation truly is bizarre. All I can say is, I would not have taken chase after someone. Not in these circumstances.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Wow.

Not sure how far the "Citizen's Arrest" allowance goes in Georgia, but I doubt it allows for that.

I was not there so I do not know what made them believe he was thieving so badly that they chased him down and shot him, but it really looks like they were not justified.

It also did not appear that he was carrying anything that one would take from a home under construction such as fixtures, appliances, etc.

We will likely have a media circus over this one.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
Again, I don't know the facts. But think about this... you are out jogging, and a truck short stops on you and a guy gets out with a long gun. Do you run, stand still, or do you try to disarm the guy? Running seems like a bad choice when the guy has a long gun. Some might stand still, some might try to disarm the guy. I can see it going either way.

I don't know the facts, so I don't know if what these two people did was criminal (let the legal system decide), but it was pretty damn stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
So what made the cell user start recording? The video starts before they are in view. I want to hear from the cel guy! DR
The third man was a provocateur? A secret recording? It was "leaked". Expect the plot to thicken.

21 - 40 of 304 Posts