Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For two nights in a row now, we have had burglary calls while the people are home. Not just home, but obviously up and about, going about normal early evening activity.

Yesterday, a family was sitting at the dinner table eating, when somebody kicked in a basement door and proceeded to help themselves to items in the home. When confronted, the burglar took off.

The same thing happened the day before, except there was only on person home, a middle aged man working in his home office. The burglar kicked in a side door on this one. The homeowner locked himself in his office and let us chase the burglar away.

Burglary while somebody in the home is somewhat rare, but this is really interesting...and scary. The burglars intent (so far) has not been violent, but he apparently couldn't care less if somebody is home or not. Both cases, it was very obvious that people were inside.

I find it interesting as it's not a 'home invasion' style, not a cat burglar. Who knows what going on in this dude's head.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wichita had a rash of similar burglaries in December, and in a dang nice part of town. Still unsolved, but seems to have stopped.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
That takes balls.

I couldn't see that happening around here for very long at all.

Someone that has no concerns about someone being home when they break in is a very dangerous human being that doesn't care if he lives or not.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
That is scary. I often think about what would happen if someone just busted in my house in the middle of the day, especially with a toddler running all over the place, or even standing at the doors looking out the windows.

When they don't seem to care it's hard to think of a good response.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
It might not take long before he breaks into the wrong house and the owner is prepared to deal with him. Maybe the third strike and he will be out.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
When they don't seem to care it's hard to think of a good response.
When they don't seem to care... there is only one good response and it ain't pretty.

If you let them go, statistical evidence says that they'll be back and they might be better prepared the second time around.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Maybe he will pick the RIGHT house next time and it will become his last. Ohio is a castle state, so he is one stupid or brave person.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The last one could have been the right house. The homeowner does have a permit, I dont think he was carrying at the time though.

Both homes are in a very nice neighborhood and in a nice part of town.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
What's the weather like in Ohio? At least one burglar isn't waiting to get frost bite. Maybe an unattended door will do for smash-and-grab when it's high temps in the 20's.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the weather like in Ohio? At least one burglar isn't waiting to get frost bite. Maybe an unattended door will do for smash-and-grab when it's high temps in the 20's.
Its cold, temps were around 10 or so at the time of incident.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It sure is a sign of the times FOR SURE Another good reason to carry at home!!

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Some folks think it is crazy to carry at home. Let someone get you in your house, out of public view. I don't think so. I bet the guy that locked himself in his office is considering carrying while at home.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What are they taking? Curious for sure, is it something simple are they staying long or just grabbing and going, I know you mentioned the owner waited for you folks to chase him off, what was the response time, did he stay long inside the residence. I'm just wondering if these are quick grab and go robberies where they figure no one will have a chance to do anything to them before they are in and out with anything in eyesight or maybe this dang druggies are just that dang high on the crap and don't care anymore.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are they taking? Curious for sure, is it something simple are they staying long or just grabbing and going, I know you mentioned the owner waited for you folks to chase him off, what was the response time, did he stay long inside the residence. I'm just wondering if these are quick grab and go robberies where they figure no one will have a chance to do anything to them before they are in and out with anything in eyesight or maybe this dang druggies are just that dang high on the crap and don't care anymore.
Our response time is much better than most, under 3 minutes. However, a lot can and does happen in 3 minutes.
Both times, nothing was stolen. He didn't have a chance to.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
My wife doesn't understand why I carry around the house...she says "we live in a nice neighborhood." My response was, "think like a BG...if you were going to risk getting caught to break in a house, would you break into a house in a nice neighborhood where they would appear to have valuable stuff or a not so nice neighborhood where they may not have much?" It was like a light coming on. Sheeple either can't or don't understand the thought processes of BGs...which may be why they lack SA and find themselves in bad situations. Of course, bad situations can find anyone, anywhere, at anytime.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
City Cops can have a good response time. Our time in the country is over 20 minutes. How much can go wrong in 20 minutes? I'd say that it seems like an eternity when bad things happen.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
A couple of minutes seems like an eternity when the crap is hitting the rotating blades. I hydroplaned in a car one time and did over a dozen 360s going down the highway. It probably didn't last 15 seconds, but it felt like hours until I came to rest off the road over a small embankment without a scratch on anything. Even brief intense situations leave you feeling exhausted when it's over.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
City Cops can have a good response time. Our time in the country is over 20 minutes. How much can go wrong in 20 minutes? I'd say that it seems like an eternity when bad things happen.
Yes, we (and our residents) are lucky that way. Our little city has one cop per 500 residents and usually 3 or 4 patrolling 6sq miles at a time.
We are also surrounded by nice townships that also have well staffed agencies. One of the "rougher" and more rural townships that borders us to the east, has horrible staffing and response times are in the 20-30 minute range. We end up picking up a lot of their calls.

I live in one of those bordering townships, however, my neighborhood is unique. I have four coworkers, as well as six other LEO's that I have worked closely with all on my block. Response time tends to be good in my neighborhood.:bier:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have four coworkers, as well as six other LEO's that I have worked closely with all on my block. Response time tends to be good in my neighborhood.:bier:
I'll bet there's a waiting list to buy a house on your block. :image035:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts