Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's grandfather passed away in the 1970's, and she inherited a few of his possessions. He had a concealed permit from Bakersfield, California, last renewed in 1973. I never met him, but apparently he was a Colt guy, on the front of his permit is listed his Colt .22 Challenger, and on the back of the permit is a place to list additional guns and his Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless (.32) is listed there as well. (front/back pictures of the "edited" permit are enclosed). I'm not going to include a photo of the .22, but I have enclosed one of the Colt 1903.

Recently, I've decided to up my own pocket pistol from an LCP, to a Kimber Solo, I haven't completed my transition, but I like the idea of a pocket 9mm. I have read both negative and positive reviews about the Solo, but I will wring this Solo out thoroughly and see if it gains my trust, which I haven't done yet. I'm also including a picture of the Solo laying over the Colt 1903. BTW the LCP is a little shorter in length and height over the Solo, and certainly thinner. The weight is quite a difference with the LCP being 9.6 oz vs the Solo at 17.2 oz. I've been trying the Solo to see how it would be inside my pocket/holstered, and it's definitely a bit more there, but easily tolerable. So if it functions well for me, then it's going to be good to go.

FWIW I weighed the Colt 1903 at 23.9 oz, and being .32 cal with that weight, it's a pleasure to shoot all day.

Some pictures of interest:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,887 Posts
Cool thread! Fun to consider your grandfather in bygone times being into Colts like that and willing to commit a couple to a concealed carry permit. The Colt Model 1903 is very flat and has a profile that would hide very well. It's interesting to see the comparison between the 9mm Solo and the .32 Colt automatic. Expectations for handguns geared for personal defense have changed since the Colt was made.

Have you considered obtaining a factory letter from Colt on the Model 1903?

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thread! Fun to consider your grandfather in bygone times being into Colts like that and willing to commit a couple to a concealed carry permit. The Colt Model 1903 is very flat and has a profile that would hide very well. It's interesting to see the comparison between the 9mm Solo and the .32 Colt automatic. Expectations for handguns geared for personal defense have changed since the Colt was made.

Have you considered obtaining a factory letter from Colt on the Model 1903?
I have thought about it a few times, but it has been easy for it to go on the back-burner. What is the charge from Colt these days?

·
Super Moderator
22,319 Posts
Couple beautiful pistols there, Jim. :hand10:

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
What a cool piece of history and a couple of fine pistols.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
The vintage CA carry permit is treasure enough. The Colt is just icing on the cake!

·
Registered
464 Posts
They're all fine guns, but my vote goes to the Colt on cool factor alone :) Maybe you could wear it on Sundays?

Congrats on a nice piece of history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts