Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got to take the class last Saturday. It was a very long day but I enjoyed it. Lots of interesting info. (BTW if anyone takes the class at The Bullet Trap in Plano, Poor Richard's Cafe one block south on Dobie is awesome for lunch. In and out on time and great food.)

After the instructor described the proficiency test I realized I will need to put in some practice before taking it. Of course I already expected as much.

I had not realized, or had forgotten, that I need to take it with a semiauto if I want to carry that. I had been planning to use a revolver.

Fortunately my wife and I ran into a friend and his wife at dinner the next day and were talking about apt. security in general. I had decided not to mention the CHL thing. Turns out his wife mentioned that she had taken the class years ago, so I added that I just had. She then mentioned that she had borrowed a semi for the test for the reasons I just mentioned. And I said I was thinking I would do the same thing and would probably see if I could borrow my brother in laws. Then my friend said "you can use one of mine." Turns out my friend has a Glock 19 (mine on layaway is the 27) and I now have it to take to the range on Saturday.

Can't wait.

Now I just have to practice, take the test, and send in the paperwork. I'm planning to take the test a week from Monday. And I guess turnaround time right now is running about 5 months here in TX because the instructor said one of his students got his this month after sending his paperwork in back in May.

SO I"m going to the range saturday, buying 100 rds of 9 and practicing at 3, 7, and 20 yards. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Keep the finger off the trigger untill you're ready to take the shot and the gun is on target. Be safe and have fun. That gun will make you an expert in no time. Good luck.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. :yup:

Good luck, you will do fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The coordination of finger off the trigger in the down position, finger on the trigger on target, back to finger off and down is where i"m most worried I'm going to screw up. The instructor said far more of the failures are due to a safety screw up than to bad placement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
South Texas CHL

I completed my CHL in July. If I remember correctly the state has to complete your application within 60 days of recieving all your paper work. As I said I took the class in July and got word on the 59th day that I was approved. I had heard stories about it taking many months because of a big back log. Good luck, hope it doesn't take to long for you.

Cliff

·
Registered
25 Posts
I understand the Texas DPS hired extra help a couple of months ago to work down the backlog. Recent reports on the TexasCHLForum indicate that recent applications are being processed in about 60 days.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I still think there is a long wait to get Texas CHL . For the shooting you should do fine, keep em in the black, you got to score at least a 175 to pass, 8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points 7 ring = 4 points

CHL SHOOTING TEST

3 yards, 20 rounds

1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds

5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds

2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Practice and then practice some more. And yes, Poor Richards is awesome. Just don't think about the calorie content you are taking in and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just concentrate on being safe and you'll be fine. We had a girl in our class who had never shot before. She passed easily. The shooting portion is much easier than you think.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Haha, my advice is find something to keep you busy for the next.........5-6 months! :) I applied for mine in February of this year and I think I finally got it some time in Late July/August... It's worth the wait though! Good luck. Get everything ready now so you can rock and roll asap after you get it. (weapon, good holster...) Practice carrying around the house.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Glad to hear the good news. Is your wife taking her CHL class also or just you? Wife and I both have CHL and carry, we work together as a team when we are out and about. I once saw myself as her protector now we protect each other and it gives us both a sense of unity and teamwork and common goals. If the worse comes down we have each other's back and I would not want to be the fellow or fellows that take us on. Not living in fear just ready!!!!!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Nobody flunked the shooting part of the test,unless you have never shot in your life you should be able to pass it,

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Nobody flunked the shooting part of the test,unless you have never shot in your life you should be able to pass it,
Even then...

I had one guy in my class that just about didn't know which end to point down range :gah:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I suggest doing most of your practice at the 7-yard distance. If you can routinely get the rounds in the center of the target at that distance, then 3-yards will be a breeze and the 15-yard shots will not matter anyway because you will have already passed the test by that time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Buy the 100 rounds, but also get a pack of snap-caps. Unload your pistol in one room and leave all the live ammo there. Take the unloaded pistol and mag to a completely different room of the house and practice dry-firing with the snap-caps in a safe direction. Do that every evening for a week or two if you have the time. Pay attention to sight picture, trigger squeeze, notice if the sights jump off target when the trigger breaks, and correct any bad habits.Then go to the range with your 100 rounds. You'll see a huge improvement without range fees or ammo expense. It works.

Unloading in a different room altogether means you won't reload the gun and set it down on the coffee table while you watch TV and forget that you reloaded it when you resume dry-firing. BANG!! And always point it at a target in a safe direction in case you're wrong.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just don't think about the calorie content you are taking in and you'll be fine.
Calories? Hot roast beef and gravy sandwiches don't have calories, do they? :wink:

As far as my wife she's going to take it, but she hasn't yet. She is very supportive. She hasn't been shooting recently. But when we went skeet shooting while we were dating she was significantly better than me. All I have to say about that experience is that skeet shooting with your girlfriend's dad is a nerve wracking experience.

I imagine this is a dumb question, but does a semiauto cycle snapcaps through, or does it just keep the one chambered in place?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I imagine this is a dumb question, but does a semiauto cycle snapcaps through, or does it just keep the one chambered in place?
No powder, no blast, therefore no recoil. After pulling the trigger you have to manually operate the slide which will eject the one in the chamber and load the next round from the mag and prepare the trigger for the next pull

1 - 20 of 39 Posts