Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this xdm, that I love dearly. It has recently (and i mean the first time it was holstered) gotten some slide wear on it. So, I've been looking at other finishes for the firearm. I have never had a firearm refinished and I don't really know the options and how effective they are or what benefit they offer over other finishes. I have considered hard chroming all metal parts of the pistol through springfield, but it's a bit expensive. To beat you all to the punch, I realize my carry gun is a tool. I am fully aware and expect slide wear. I was considering hard chroming it before this happened. It's more of a preventative maintenance and durability issue for me than because I want a pretty gun. So, that being said, does anyone have anything to offer?

·
Super Moderator
19,936 Posts
My guess is that you'd spend half the cost of a new gun in getting it plated - which doesn't strike me as a great investment, as long as any worn surfaces on your gun aren't getting corroded already.

For another data point, look into Robar's (in Phoenix) different finishes and prices. If you're only doing the slide, you'll save some money just in shipping if you don't need to ship the whole gun.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Leave the "character" marks alone and invest in more ammo or training. JMO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts