Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the LEOs here (and a possible suggestion). The MTA cop that was shot in the Thursday night shootout had damage to his femoral artery and very nearly bled out. It does not sound like he nor his compatriots carried a CAT (combat application tournequet) with them. Had he had a CAT, he, or one of his buddies, could have stopped the blood flowing from his leg before the EMTs got there and mitigated the danger of death he faced.

Do you have a CAT in your vest or otherwise on your person? They are small and light. If you don't carry one, you may want to for just such a situation. You have a very low probablilty of ever needing it (like CCW), but if you need it, you need it very badly and immediately (like CCW). It could also come in handy when responding to a car wreck with an amputation. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I have one in my car. You just never know whats going to happen...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Keep one and a trama kit is my range bag as well as my car medical kit!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Been considering the Bugg gear for femoral artery protection, but hesistant due to weight, temperature increase(if its consistent with ballistic vest)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Femoral artery is rough because it will retract on you... if cut high on the thigh, it would be hard to tourniquet, but a rapid CAT and Celox packet would definitely improve outcomes, I think.

I do have a CAT, but it's open. Would be nice to have a couple sealed ones.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'm not an LEO, but I do keep an Israeli Battle Dressing and some Celox in a trauma kit in my Jeep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.