Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a published FBI statistic (or other source) for a "Typical Self-Defense Shooting" by non-LEO's?

I've heard: 3-shots, at 3-yards, at 3 a.m. -- but don't know if that is true or just a myth?

I'm aware that every instance is somewhat different, but wondered if there is a statistical average event?

In the last 20 years, more people carry high-cap semi-auto's, whereas 40 years ago the 6-shot .38 revolver was probably what most people owned. I wonder if self-defense shootings very often involve more that 3 o 4 rounds being fired? Personally, I have difficulty envisioning a situation where an averge citizen, in an average suburb, would fire 15 rounds. I would worry about the unintended damage from stray shots hitting someone else sitting in their living room watching TV.

Anyhow, is there published data on this topic?

gold40

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If you cant shoot, you need more boolits, extra capacity is for non-shooters.

·
Premium Member
9,531 Posts
As I have said before, if you are firing 15+ rounds, you are in a running gun battle. Or defending your meth lab. Either situation constitutes a less than enviable set of circumstances.

I've heard sumthin' like 2-2-2 before (two shots, two seconds, two yards). 3-3-3 sounds just as anecdotal.

I'm sure the statistics can be averaged. But hey, if you're playing statistics, you might as well not even carry, because chances are you'll never need to use your gun.

My point is you can find the statistics - just google some keywords - but they are pretty much meaningless for Joe Citizen. Most of the time I carry a j-frame, but sometimes I carry a semi that holds 14. But I don't feel undergunned with the j-frame...

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
If you cant shoot, you need more boolits, extra capacity is for non-shooters.
That's exactly right! All you need are two blasts from the double barrel out the door and all your problems will be solved...

Or maybe extra capacity is for folks that realize that it's better to be prepared and not need the extra shots than to foolishly believe that they are the second coming of Josey Wales and could fell even multiple attackers with a single bullet.

·
Registered
46,054 Posts
If anyone ever asks how much ammo I've got left, I want to be able to say, "Enough." No one, under any circumstance, knows what that number may be.

·
Premium Member
39,431 Posts
Is there a published FBI statistic (or other source) for a "Typical Self-Defense Shooting" by non-LEO's?

I've heard: 3-shots, at 3-yards, at 3 a.m. -- but don't know if that is true or just a myth?

I'm aware that every instance is somewhat different, but wondered if there is a statistical average event?

In the last 20 years, more people carry high-cap semi-auto's, whereas 40 years ago the 6-shot .38 revolver was probably what most people owned. I wonder if self-defense shootings very often involve more that 3 o 4 rounds being fired? Personally, I have difficulty envisioning a situation where an averge citizen, in an average suburb, would fire 15 rounds. I would worry about the unintended damage from stray shots hitting someone else sitting in their living room watching TV.

Anyhow, is there published data on this topic?

gold40
We have already had this roundy-round a time or two.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Personally I would rather have 12 rounds left than none. The lady in Georgia shot BG 5 times & he still walked away. Real good argument for high cap mags in an easily managed caliber.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I had this conversation at work with some guys when magazine limits were all the talk in gun control. Someone asked, "How many rounds does it take to defend yourself?" and I replied, "When facing 3+ home invaders, I don't know how many rounds it may take, but I know how many I will use...and that's 19+1 and several extra mags. Nobody ever survived a gunfight and said they were thankful they didn't have any extra ammo when it was over."

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Not to be over simplistic but if you miss your first three rounds at a armed BG you probably wont be shooting the rest of the mag, unless hes a lousy shot too. Having more rounds isnt a bad thing. But if your in a situation where you are pumping out 15 rounds and reloading on the street you probably should have some friends along cuz things have went way south.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here are some of the statistics from the Ten Essential Tips For CCW Holders ebook published by Beretta:

"55% of gunfights take place 0-5 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
(edited to add) – so 75% take place within 10 ft.
95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5
seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment
in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds.
3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions.
On average, one shot in four strikes someone."

You can download the book by clicking here

With the above said, I still carry an extra mag because my two favorite saying are:

"You can never have too much ammo unless you're swimming or on fire."

After a self defense encounter no one has ever said, "Gee, I wish I would have had LESS ammo."

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My question wasn't intended to disparage large cap handguns -- or those who carry them.

I'm still looking to find published statistics on an "average non-LEO self-defense shooting." Can anyone refer to a published article or book?

gold40

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
About all that can really be said is that our own specific encounters with evil will be a-typical.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.