Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be behind the times, but I just found out the Navy did away with the Chief's initiation. Unbelievable. The time honored rite of the U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (CPO) initiation process has been eliminated. Political correctness has won out over more than 100 years of having gotten it right in the Chief’s Mess.

I am speechless!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I served USMC and USA. My father retired USN Chief E-7 Red chevrons(He had fun). I never learned what was the Navy initiation?

·
Super Moderator
25,545 Posts
Sadly this is part of the continuing PC movement of our military leaders. Two years ago a Navy Admiral had the (unofficial) EOD motto removed from every place he could because it might "offend" someone. The motto was "Initial Success or Total Failure", a saying that has served the military Bomb Disposal field well for over 30 years.

Welcome to todays military where everyone is now elite, and no one can get offended.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I may be behind the times, but I just found out the Navy did away with the Chief's initiation. Unbelievable. The time honored rite of the U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (CPO) initiation process has been eliminated. Political correctness has won out over more than 100 years of having gotten it right in the Chief’s Mess.

I am speechless!
I wonder if they still allow "tacking on the crow" for E4 - E6. My arm turn black and blue, then green and yellow.

Political Correctness: The incorrect assumption that you can pick up a turd by the clean end.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I wonder if the Army still allows blood wings? I still have the little scars to remind me that I was young and dumb once :danceban:

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
Well why the Hell NOT?!?!? The Namby Pamby Crew have their hands around ALL of us civilians throats...

One of the truly great aspects of being a retired old guy is looking THOSE PEOPLE in the eye and telling them to SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!!!!!!! Then walking away chuckling to myself...mumble mumble

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Welcome to todays military where everyone is now elite, and no one can get offended.
Don't forget, they're all heroes too.

Don't get me wrong I respect the armed services but calling everyone a hero only drops the value of that word.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The new military leadership motto: "If it ain't broke let's see how we can." They have deserted the sailors and troops.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
I was not in the military, but I did work around a bunch of active duty and retired submariners early in my career, some of them going way back to the diesels. Whether they were pulling my leg or not, let's just say they informed me of multiple practical jokes that involved bodily fluids.

None of them seem traumatized.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
The initiations were all part of military life. You went through it, and at the next initiation ceremony you were at the front of the line to welcome on the next group. You went through it, you survived it and you could look back on it with pride and fond memories.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Sadly this is part of the continuing PC movement of our military leaders. Two years ago a Navy Admiral had the (unofficial) EOD motto removed from every place he could because it might "offend" someone. The motto was "Initial Success or Total Failure", a saying that has served the military Bomb Disposal field well for over 30 years.

Especially the enemy...

·
Super Moderator
25,545 Posts
I wonder if the Army still allows blood wings? I still have the little scars to remind me that I was young and dumb once :danceban:
Nope, not officially! might hurt the little Paratrooper! (Or any other kind of blood wings or skill badge.)

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
It is a ceremony that served a valid function: the promotion of bonding and unit integrity that will be needed in combat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I served USMC and USA. My father retired USN Chief E-7 Red chevrons(He had fun). I never learned what was the Navy initiation?
It was 2 months of hell & games that turned you into a different person on the other side who understood you new responsibilities.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This was the Chief's creed:

The Chief's Creed

During the course of this day, you have been caused to suffer indignities, to experience humiliations. This you have accomplished with rare good grace and therefore, we now believe it fitting to explain to you why this was done. There was no intent, no desire, to demean. Pointless as it may have seemed to you, there was a valid, time-honored reason behind every single deed, behind each pointed barb.

By experience, by performance and by testing, you have been this day advanced to CHIEF PETTY OFFICER. You have one more hurdle to overcome. In the United States Navy and only in the United States Navy, E-7 carries unique responsibilities. No other armed force throughout the world carries the responsibilities nor grants privileges to its enlisted comparable to the privileges and responsibilities you are now bound to observe and expected to fulfill.

Your entire way of life has now been changed. More will be expected of you, more will be demanded of you. Not because you are an E-7, but because you are now a CHIEF PETTY OFFICER. You have not merely been promoted one pay grade--you have joined an exclusive fraternity, and as in all fraternities, you have a responsibility to your brothers, even as they have a responsibility to you.

Always bear in mind that no other armed force has rate or rank equivalent to that of the United States Navy. Granted that all armed forces have two classes of service: enlisted and commissioned, however, the United States Navy has the distinction of having four i.e., Enlisted, CHIEF PETTY OFFICER, Commissioned Warrant Officer and Commissioned Officer. This is why we in the United States Navy may maintain with pride our feelings of superiority once we have attained the position of E-7.

These privileges, these responsibilities do not appear in print, they have no official standing, they cannot be referred to by name, number nor file. They exist because for over 200 years the CHIEFS before you have freely accepted responsibility beyond call of printed assignment, their actions and their performance, demanded the respect of their seniors as well as their juniors.

It is now required that you be a fountain of wisdom, the ambassador of good will, the authority in personnel relations as well as their technical application. "Ask the Chief" is a household word in and out of the Navy. You are now the “CHIEF”.

The exalted-position you have now received, and I use the word “exalted” advisedly, exists because of the attitude, the performance of the Chiefs before you. It shall exist only so long as you and your compatriots maintain these standards.

So this is why you were caused to experience these things. You were subjected to humiliations to prove to you that humility is a good, a great, a necessary change which cannot mar you—which in fact, strengthens you, and in your future as a CHIEF PETTY OFFICER, you will be caused to suffer indignities, to experience humiliations far beyond those imposed upon you today. Bear them with the dignity, and with the same good grace, which you bore these today.

It is our intention that you will never forget this day. It is our intention to test you--to try you--to accept you. Your performance today has assured us that you will wear your hat with aplomb brothers in arms before you.

I take a deep, sincere pleasure in clasping your hand, and accepting you into our midst.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hate to break it guys, but none of those initiations really exist anymore. I'm sure some are still happening in some places, but everything is essentially outlawed, e.g. blood striping, any type of pinning, blue noses, etc

1 - 20 of 49 Posts