Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little bit old, from December.

In Aventura, Florida an Uber driver picked up a passenger early one morning and proceeded to the requested destination. On the way, a minivan pulls in front of the Uber and forces the driver to stop.

A man jumped out of the vehicle and aimed two guns at the Uber driver, demanding he hand over his belongings. Instead, the driver pulled out his own weapon and fired shots at the suspect. Seeing his accomplice dead, the minivan’s other passenger got behind the wheel and quickly drove away. Police later located the vehicle, and are reportedly questioning a person of interest. Whether or not it’s one of the suspects is unclear. The Uber driver was revealed to have a concealed carry permit, and will likely not be charged.
It is quite likely that the Uber driver lost his job, as Uber rules prohibit their drivers from having weapons in the car.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I thought about Uber once (I won't give up my carry)

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Good choice! IMHO banning carry for drivers (or employees in general) is egregiously stupid, but given how messed up our civil courts are, it's hard to blame the employers. Hopefully they'll make an exception to their policy in this case.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I used to drive for Uber here in Illinois. I never got behind the wheel without a gun. I don't care what Uber corporate policy said. I have the right to be armed in Illinois. Since they don't supply the vehicle I use they can't make that call. I always figured that if I needed to pull my gun, keeping my job with Uber would not even be a consideration. Good on the driver in this situation.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Doesn't sound like to good of a career move. Hope your friend fines a better job.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well take a look at the difference between the two instances. The first, the driver was armed in an attempt to defend himself. My buddy was unarmed, and could have at any point been shot, obviously the gun was just a show of force as he didn't fire, but he could have. And my buddy had what? A pig sticker to defend himself, and still didn't use that. Hopefully he learns what he can from this. Maybe he'll take a page out of the first guy's book.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
If I were a business owner, my gun policy to the general public would be, "we are working on the legal wording for a weapons policy."

My answer to trusted, gun carrying employees would be, "yeah, that policy is going to be stuck in committee for a while. "

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I would have a hard time worrying about company policy when I'm in my own vehicle driving who knows where to pick up who knows who. If I have to protect my own life, I will not lose sleep if I lose my job in the process. As near as I can tell, Uber isn't spending a dime trying to keep it's employees safe.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
There's a difference between not able to carry and not allowed to carry.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If, god forbid i ever get into a situation of defense and have to call police, is it best to remain silent and ask for an attorney, know matter how clear and obvious the view of defense may be?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts