Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ESPN is on TV at the place I eat breakfast at. The volume is down on the TVs but they have music playing in the place instead. While I'm here I catch up on everything that happened the day before.

The just ran a piece on UFC and it got me thinking, how brutal or barbaric this is. I know boxing is violent, wrestling is "fake", but this UFC stuff is downright senseless if you really think about it. I mean does anyone get their kicks (no pun intended) watching two men, or women, locked with the other and then repeatedly punch other other in the head?

To each is own and if you are into this stuff ok.

I have, watched maybe 1/2 of one match and never got into it. In 30 years we will probably start seeing stories about former UFC fighters with all kinds of brain problems.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I do not follow it but I like it. I grew up watching boxing with my Dad and uncles. That was back when boxing was easily accessible to watch- Tuesday Night Fights, Friday Night Fights, HBO had boxing every weekend and few fights were PPV. The free stuff slowly went away and boxing became more effort to follow so I stopped. Watched UFC a bit. I have no problem with the violence. People have always enjoyed those type of sports.

Will we see health problems later on from UFC fighters? Sure. We already do in boxing and hockey. It is not just football, we just hear about football more because the players are more pampered.

If that is how someone chooses to make a living, it is not for me to judge.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I've been watching it from the very beginning , my favorite sport , much more entertaining than tennis or golf , zzzzzz

Reactions: Texron

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I do not care watch it, but I do not condemn it. I figure that whatever two consenting adults choose to legally do is not for me to judge other than to choose to watch or not watch it.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
UFC is much more fun to watch than boxing in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,319 Posts
I'm in the same camp as 1942bull. Not my thing, but if two adults want to engage in that sport, fine by me.

I can't watch boxing or UCF, knowing what I now know about CTE and cumulative brain injury.

And every time a football player takes a hit to the head, I find myself cringing for the guy. I really enjoy football, played it as a kid, and especially enjoy watching college football. But it turns my stomach whenever I see a player get a hit to the head or a concussion. I don't want to see any players get injured.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
So ESPN is on TV at the place I eat breakfast at. The volume is down on the TVs but they have music playing in the place instead. While I'm here I catch up on everything that happened the day before.

The just ran a piece on UFC and it got me thinking, how brutal or barbaric this is. I know boxing is violent, wrestling is "fake", but this UFC stuff is downright senseless if you really think about it. I mean does anyone get their kicks (no pun intended) watching two men, or women, locked with the other and then repeatedly punch other other in the head?

To each is own and if you are into this stuff ok.

I have, watched maybe 1/2 of one match and never got into it. In 30 years we will probably start seeing stories about former UFC fighters with all kinds of brain problems.
Look at it this way. They're doing what they want to do. After all, it's only a job. They could have picked other occupations but decided upon the UFC. Their decision to take.

Reactions: Texron

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
I only wonder why people gleefully watch 350+ pound monsters crush 200 pound quarterbacks with a fury that rivals anything that ever happens in a ring.

I will relate what one guy said to me. "Boxing is a long-standing joke...shysters "running" shysters while bookies and "promoters" rake in the cash from their cows."

I expect one of the main attractions of UFC is that is hasn't been overtaken (yet) by all the shysters who arrange the matches to suit the bookies.

Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Boxing used to be a regulated sport that was kept that way by a governing board. They made sure that a Fighter coming up was not put in the ring with someone that grossly out matched them, and on the other side of that coin made sure that a talented fighter could move up through the ranks. That ended in the 80's when One or Two promoters owned all the fighters and the governing boards! It went from a sport to being Sports Entertainment! There is no longer any fairness, only How Much money Can I get out of this guy! Promotion is not based on talent but on money draws.
this shows up again and again with fighters like Mike Tyson. He is so mentally damaged that he can't function with out anti Psychotic drugs every day. They would pull him off the drugs, pay off a med board to clear him to fight, and then act surprised when he bites an ear off!

Now the UFC started as a one man show from its beginning. The fighters either work for the UFC or they don't fight. Again it's all about money, not about who is best! It's Sports Entertainment not a sport!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I used to watch UFC long ago before it became mixed martial arts. It was fun watching 2 different disciplines go head to head.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think the saddest thing is that something like UFC actually attracts an audience. There seems to be no limit to the coarsening of American tastes. Bread and circuses, indeed.

·
Registered
Various
15,475 Posts
I followed heavy weight boxing from the 1950s until the Holyfield - Tyson Bite Fight. I gave up on boxing. I tried to watch UFC, but it repulses me.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only wonder why people gleefully watch 350+ pound monsters crush 200 pound quarterbacks with a fury that rivals anything that ever happens in a ring.

I will relate what one guy said to me. "Boxing is a long-standing joke...shysters "running" shysters while bookies and "promoters" rake in the cash from their cows."

I expect one of the main attractions of UFC is that is hasn't been overtaken (yet) by all the shysters who arrange the matches to suit the bookies.

Just my opinion though.
I will credit the football rules committees at all leverls with one thing, they are trying to reduce the injuries and have amped up certain penalties. While some think this is ruining the sport, it is a step to reducing the senseless injuries.

I remember in school coaches used to have us do this drill called bull in the ring. You had one guy with the ball running in place. Everyone else formed a circle around him. The coach would call out someone's number and that guy would have to rush the guy in the middle and try to tackle him. Pretty much everyone got a chance to be in the middle. Everyone knew of this thing and most hated it. It really served no purpose other than entertainment for the coaches, and then a few of the bigger players who just wanted to show off. But one year, our best receiver/DB got hurt in this thing and ended up missing half the season. The following year they stopped it.

We had a real sadistic SOB basketball coach one year. We had this drill where two players stood at the baseline each side of the lane, coach was under the goal and rolled a ball toward the free throw line. When he blew the whistle you had to run and DIVE to get the ball before it reached the free throw line. You had to dive. If no one got it, the whole team had to run. If you got the ball, then you had to hop up and play one on one with the other guy for 5 seconds or something. If you scored you were done with the drill, you went off to another part and shot free throws, but he ran. If you missed, you ran. (To run meant a timed suicide sprint - baseline to timeline, back to baseline, to half court, back to baseline, to next timeline, then other baseline and all the way back). After running you got in line to do it again. So guys were diving on the floor, sometimes hitting heads, you're skin would burn, it was terrible. I got my first hip pointer ever doing this and thought I was going to die.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
We had a version of bull in the ring for martial arts. With the "bull's" eyes closed, everyone in the circle was silently assigned a number. The instructor would then call out single or multiple numbers who would then attack. It was good for teaching how to deal with multiple attackers while still controlling the intensity level. That made it useful for non-beginners through advanced students.

Reactions: MMinSC

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Boxing has always been my favorite sport. I still love watching old fights even though I already know who wins. I really like the 80s fighters. Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Chavez, Whitaker. Great fights and great fighters.

UFC is ok. I like watching the ladies fight.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I find the UFC far less violent than boxing. I also find boxing essentially unwatchable now. All the good fighters try to go to the UFC.

Sadly, boxing is just horrible.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Not into UFC; Love boxing, my brother was in the Golden Gloves as a teen and I looked up to anything he did being a younger sister.

I do enjoy a good hockey game too, better in person and blood shows up real good on the ice! :yup: 👍🏻

Roller Derby is fun to watch, those women are bad to the bone - they kick butt on wheels! 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 20 Posts