Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, my father-in-law is dying of cancer. Thus, I must drive to NJ with my two young kids to meet my wife that's already there.

The thought of having to travel 'naked' chaps my butt! What's even worse is that you can't even bring any outside gun into New Jersey without a state permit! At least the other states we're traveling through will let me put the gun in a locked, separate box in the car. :aargh4:

What a note to return home and be disarmed...

And yes, I'm very concerned for my father-in-law. :frown:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Where in NJ? I would think one of our local stores would allow you to bring your gun to them for a cleaning. If not NJ, then try someone in PA.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law and I hope for the best. I thought you can travel through states as long as the gun is unloaded and locked in a container that is not accessible to you in the car (like in the trunk). Check handgunlaw.us (http://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf) for specifics. The problem is that no states around NJ seem to honor the Alabama permit.

·
Registered
832 Posts
He can travel through a state (without stopping) if you are legal at the origin and destination of the trip. He won't be legal in NJ, that's why I had mentioned bringing the gun to a store / FFL for service (cleaning). That might make it legal, if that doesn't make it legal he could travel to PA (open carry state) and bring the gun to someone there for service.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Prayers for your FIL. Be safe on the trip. Be sure to clean your car out and not have any rounds or even spent brass rolling around.

Reactions: sensei2

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sorry to hear of your families' pain. This is one of those situations where you have to check your 2nd amendment pride at the door, disarm, suck it up, and travel to joisy to be there for your family. No shame in doing what must be done for those you love. Travel safely and do what must be done.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Are you not allowed to go to NJ for a competition shoot and bring your own gun?

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Unfortunately, my father-in-law is dying of cancer. Thus, I must drive to NJ with my two young kids to meet my wife that's already there.

The thought of having to travel 'naked' chaps my butt! What's even worse is that you can't even bring any outside gun into New Jersey without a state permit! At least the other states we're traveling through will let me put the gun in a locked, separate box in the car. :aargh4:

What a note to return home and be disarmed...

And yes, I'm very concerned for my father-in-law. :frown:
I lived there most of my adult life without carrying a gun. No reason to worry. Most place there have lower crime rates than here in Florida. You have to look at crime on a per capita basis. I was shocked to find that the violent crime rate in supposed safe cities here was higher than where I lived in NJ. No wonder I feel like I need to carry here and never in NJ.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Are you not allowed to go to NJ for a competition shoot and bring your own gun?
I think you can bring it to a competition, but you can not stop anywhere else in the state and you definitely can not stay overnight with the gun in your possession.

NJ is not a state you want to push the limits in unless you want to be a resident for a few years in one of our lovely jails.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Federal Law should protect you if driving through the state but not so much going there.

Can people not move to NJ with any firearm?

What about long Guns?

Judged by 12 or carried by 6 is what a cop in my family told me.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We made it there and back safely (Beverly, NJ for those who asked - not the best part of the state).

I really hated going through Washington DC and Baltimore unarmed. The side trip to Philadelphia was not liked either. Nothing happened, but I hated the fact that I had no way to protect my family if we ended up in a trouble spot.

What really got me was my brother's attitude about guns. I told him how 'naked' I felt unarmed. He just rolled his eyes and remarked that he's lived in his neighborhood (Cherry Hill - very nice/upscale) and never owned or needed a gun.

He has no alarm system and no dog. His only means of defense are calling 911 and grabbing a knife or baseball bat and prayer. Unfortunately he'll be one of those folks that when something does happen, then they'll upgrade the home defenses...

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Lived in NJ for 40 years and not so much as a burglary in the area. Up there they all roll their eyes when they read about how scared some are about going unarmed. Look at it from their point of view. They go through life never needing a gun or feeling afraid without one. I think that those who grew up carrying guns need them as a crutch sometimes. Sure your brother may be unarmed to meet a threat but then again the odds of him being threatened are very slim. I do not know anyone who needed a gun and neither does anyone I know. Do you and I mean not just thought they were in danger but rather made a police report incident danger? Bet not for most of us, so don't worry, be happy. A gun is just extra protection. I treat it like my cell phone. Good to have on me just in case but no cause for concern if I forget to take it or cannot take it where I am going.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Your coming to a state where sling shots and rubber band guns are illeagle. Just keep that in mind, Oh, also, you can't carry your pocket knife here either unless you can prove to the officer and judge it's required for work or you must be in possession of a NJ hunting or fishing license. Sorry to hear about your FIL.......

Old Dog......things have change here.....ever hear of home invasions and burleries......we're swamped with'em and I live in an upscale area of North central jersey.....you mustn't go out much.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I grew-up in a super-small little town called Pennypot, NJ. It's near Folsom, NJ down south in the Pine Barrens.

Even out there in the boondocks, most of the homes in my neighborhood were robbed at some point.

And there was an entire family murdered in nearby Folsom (the Deal family). Father and mother shot in the head and had their throats cut; little boy had his throat cut. Had to pass by that house everyday on the school bus - the murder is still unsolved to this day...

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
We made it there and back safely (Beverly, NJ for those who asked - not the best part of the state).

I really hated going through Washington DC and Baltimore unarmed. The side trip to Philadelphia was not liked either. Nothing happened, but I hated the fact that I had no way to protect my family if we ended up in a trouble spot.

What really got me was my brother's attitude about guns. I told him how 'naked' I felt unarmed. He just rolled his eyes and remarked that he's lived in his neighborhood (Cherry Hill - very nice/upscale) and never owned or needed a gun.

He has no alarm system and no dog. His only means of defense are calling 911 and grabbing a knife or baseball bat and prayer. Unfortunately he'll be one of those folks that when something does happen, then they'll upgrade the home defenses...
Your brother should pay attention to what is going on in the town where he lives.

4 sought in Cherry Hill home invasion | 6abc.com

Suspects Sought In Violent Cherry Hill Home Invasion « CBS Philly

Cherry Hill Police Investigating Home Invasion - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

1 - 20 of 22 Posts