Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in American Handgunner and fell in love. Do some hiking and hunting and i think this would be a perfect survival knife. 45cal and big ol knife in one. I would carry some of the cci 45 shotshells for hunting wabbits in case i were forced to live of the land. Expensive though($1300!!!)
http://shop.sanjuanenterprise.com/

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Fascinating. Haven't seen a concept like that since the knife/squeeze handle .22. Barrel might be too short for a shotshell, but heck, why not give it a try? Let us know how it goes if you get it in a moment of weakness.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Way toooo coool! the only down side is one shot and the 1.3K price tag.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That thing looks nice, but is a little spendy for something that is more of a conversation piece than a practical tool.:confused:

For $1300, there are a lot of options out there! How about a custom K-Bar knife and a S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt? Or even a little 2 shot derringer (which doubles your firepower!!) and a nice knife, for a quarter the price?

That thing is cool, but I wouldn't spend the money unless I won the lottery...:smile:

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Great Amount Of Cool Factor

Expensive though.
Quite Pricey for a .45 single shot.
If I were a wealthy man though I would want one for Christmas in my stocking.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Interesting, but I'd pass....give me a good blade and a revolver for my backwoods/survival needs.

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Well You Folks Always Said:

"Never Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight."

Now...you can bring a knife and a gun to a knife fight.:yup:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Terrific ''novelty value'' but unless I was oozing $$$'s could not justify such!

·
Registered
125 Posts
i like the concept and the execution of the design, but if i were to spend $1300 on something to survive with i would have to go with duckhunter, possible a ka-bar and a full size Kimber(i like the sound of 7 rounds of .45 and a knife over 1)

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Let's see...

Swamp Rat Knives Camp Tramp $150ish
Glock 21 $600ish

Let's see, is there anything undesireable about the quality of either of these items... nope.

Will they both do what this thing will only better for less money... yep.

Not saying the idea is useless for everyone in the world that ever was, but personally I say: Pass.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i like everything about it except the price. Drop it down to 3 or 4 and it would go with me hunting in alaska.(Next to .44mag and whatever rifle i happen to be hunting with.) 4 page review from american handgunner does a lot more justice to this than the cruddy webpage. Although it doesnt mention the price! I have an idea! If everyone on the forum sent me twenty bucks i could buy it and tell you how it performs. (or just say it works great and buy a kimber or a Custom bisley or even a linebaugh in .475.......drool):knockedout:
Sigh...i wish i were rich.

EDIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Whoa didnt realize how many people are actually on this forum!! Just a few dollars from each of you will be fine:22a: :urlaub2:

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
for serious survival/ outdoor needs, I would not want 1. rather have a accurate firearm and a good knife. Seems too much of a novelty, than a serious tool.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'll make a shank that's also a zip gun for less that $50.00 if there's a market for it.:twak:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Gun/Knife

Macattack said:
Saw this in American Handgunner and fell in love. Do some hiking and hunting and i think this would be a perfect survival knife. 45cal and big ol knife in one. I would carry some of the cci 45 shotshells for hunting wabbits in case i were forced to live of the land. Expensive though($1300!!!)
http://shop.sanjuanenterprise.com/
This was reviewed about 15 years ago in American Survival Guide. Not a new item. It occurs to me that if you're close enough to use the knife, you don't need the gun. :comeandgetsome: If you're not, the barrel on the "gun" is so short it won't be effective anyway. I'd rather have one of those stackbarrel derringers from American Derringer that's 410 shotgun on top and 45LC on the bottom. Just about as effective as the gun/knife but you've got two rounds AND two calibers...twice as "good." LOL

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
that thing is a little silly. i'd rather have a desert eagle with a blade attachment, similar to the gun a character used in 'blade II'. or better yet, a desert eagle and a machete. or, even better than that, two desert eagles, a machete, some good running shoes, and a secure spot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ultimate survival knife...

I don't like it. Too easy to sweep yourself... maybe forget that the blade isn't the most dangerous part of the weapon. Intersting but impractical. Better to try and get one of the few remaining Wilkison Sword Dartmoore survival blades designed for the SAS before they are all gone forever. :aargh4: Great survival knife and almost indestructable. It's a shame Wilkinson closed its doors after so many 100's of years of fine sword/knife making. :frown: A few Dartmoors have trickled over here to be sold on the bay... but they will soon be impossible to find.

One of these and a good 870 12G would be a lot cheaper and a lot more useful IMOHO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts