Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: Here in Florida, it's legal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but not in: "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose".

I met a friend for lunch. When we got to the hostess stand, we were told that there were no tables available and there was a wait, but we could have a seat at the bar, which was about half-full. My friend was fine with that. He does not know I carry, and I intend to keep it that way, but even if I were willing to tell him, this was neither the time nor the place for that conversation. I had walked to the restaurant, so I didn't have a car handy that I could have "forgotten my phone" in and gone back to to secure my gun.

Hypothetically, what would you have done in this situation, or what do you do if you find yourself unexpectedly headed into a "no gun zone" while armed?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
GFZs in my area do not carry weight of law, so I would not give it any worry. However, I choose not to consume alcohol while packin'.
If I were in a different State, I would double my contributions to the NRA, GOA and get the infringement on my 2A removed.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
While I doubt anyone would make an issue of you waiting in the bar, especially if you are not drinking, I would avoid waiting at the bar and make an excuse to wait elsewhere.

·
Registered
270 Posts
GFZs in my area do not carry weight of law, so I would not give it any worry. However, I choose not to consume alcohol while packin'.
If I were in a different State, I would double my contributions to the NRA, GOA and get the infringement on my 2A removed.
Since this is a State law it does carry force of law.

My .02, I don't see how a 4 foot tall wall separating areas of a restaurant should change what you can/cannot do. You can eat food/drink alcohol in both areas, so that wall is irrelevant in my mind. But as mentioned above, I would not drink alcohol. If you know that no one will see your "heat" I wouldn't concern yourself about it.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I CANT tell you. :wink:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is reminiscent of the "No Smoking" tables in restaurants that were right next to the smoking section. Zero common sense involved.
People should never be restricted from their 'inalienable rights', because of what they could or might do. Period.
Such laws are illegal INFRINGEMENTS that we must deal with, immediately. States cannot legislate our Constitutional rights away.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be clear, I had no intention of drinking. If I know I am going to a bar, to watch a football game, for example, or that I may have a drink (or more than one) I leave the guns at home.

·
Registered
41,238 Posts
It is reminiscent of the "No Smoking" tables in restaurants that were right next to the smoking section. Zero common sense involved.
People should never be restricted from their 'inalienable rights', because of what they could or might do. Period.
Such laws are illegal INFRINGEMENTS that we must deal with, immediately. States cannot legislate our Constitutional rights away.
That is your opinion, not the state of Florida's nor that of SCOTUS. He risks the loss of his carry permit by sitting in the bar area. You can argue till the cows come home, but you would do it unarmed or from a cell.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
I will obey forum rules.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Posted by OldVet
That is your opinion,.....
It IS an illegal infringement, that needs to be removed. Many States have removed such Illegal Infringements.
Until they are abolished, the 'illegal laws' must be obeyed or consequences may apply. I have come across many 'illegal laws' during my LE career.
I do not state an OPINION, just fact.

Reactions: cb56

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I wanted to remain legal, and not tell my friend why, then I'd tell him I can't be around all that alcohol because I'm trying to quit and it's not easy.

It's a stupid law, it should be changed to allow proximity to bar, and we can debate whether to legally prohibit drinking while carrying.
I don't drink, but I know it's a debatable issue for others.

I'd tell the waitress I'd like to wait somewhere other than the bar; maybe she's dealt with this before and will suggest a bench outside or something.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Preface: Here in Florida, it's legal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but not in: "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose".

I met a friend for lunch. When we got to the hostess stand, we were told that there were no tables available and there was a wait, but we could have a seat at the bar, which was about half-full. My friend was fine with that. He does not know I carry, and I intend to keep it that way, but even if I were willing to tell him, this was neither the time nor the place for that conversation. I had walked to the restaurant, so I didn't have a car handy that I could have "forgotten my phone" in and gone back to to secure my gun.

Hypothetically, what would you have done in this situation, or what do you do if you find yourself unexpectedly headed into a "no gun zone" while armed?
This is similar to WA St law and since I am aware of it, I make my choice before I go out. I know it's very possible we'll be asked to wait or sit in the 'lounge' area.

Personally I dont have a problem foregoing carry sometimes. It's a balance, just like everything else in life.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Posted by OldVet

It IS an illegal infringement, that needs to be removed. Many States have removed such Illegal Infringements.
Until they are abolished, the 'illegal laws' must be obeyed or consequences may apply. I have come across many 'illegal laws' during my LE career.
I do not state an OPINION, just fact.
And another fact is that if you get caught, you will face the legal consequences. Your 'opinion' on the law wont matter.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
712 Posts
First off what separates the bar from restaurant. I believe you mentioned a 3 foot high wall . Does it go around the entire bar ? Is there a common area that occupies both the restaurant and the bar Such as the path of the restroom? If there is you were certainly well within your rights to remain standing in that area to await your table. Furthermore you did not enter the establishment with the intent of going to the bar. You certainly have the right to remain in the restaurant awaiting your table. If you had to leave the confines of a restaurant and enter enclosed room to occupy the bar then you would be breaking the law. If I remember my Florida statutes correctly. No one is always right and I certainly could be mistaken I no longer live in Florida so I don't pay attention to the Laws down there anymore and some things might've changed in the past year or two.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I can't say for sure as I don't know where you are, but I doubt that is entirely correct. Signs in FL don't carry force of law, however the bar area of a restaurant is on Florida's list of prohibited places so it is illegal to carry there. I believe it's a missdemeanor but could still a problem if caught. But like I said your state could be different.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I would simply hand my loaded gun to the hostess and ask her to hold on to it until my table is ready...:wave:

No actually I would just put it in the car. BTW those stupid signs are everywhere here in Ohio so I am used to it.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
First off what separates the bar from restaurant. I believe you mentioned a 3 foot high wall . Does it go around the entire bar ? Is there a common area that occupies both the restaurant and the bar Such as the path of the restroom? If there is you were certainly well within your rights to remain standing in that area to await your table. Furthermore you did not enter the establishment with the intent of going to the bar. You certainly have the right to remain in the restaurant awaiting your table. If you had to leave the confines of a restaurant and enter enclosed room to occupy the bar then you would be breaking the law. If I remember my Florida statutes correctly. No one is always right and I certainly could be mistaken I no longer live in Florida so I don't pay attention to the Laws down there anymore and some things might've changed in the past year or two.
Your comments dont necessarily reflect the actual state laws. So your interpretation wouldnt protect anyone from the consequences of not realizing or ignoring the law.

Many states have liquor laws that specifically designate lounge areas/bars from the main restaurant and minors are not allowed in those areas. Has nothing to do with guns at that point. The restaurant employees will come and tell you if you bring your kids into those areas, and ask you to move. They can lose their liquor licenses if they dont.

In my state, our cc law follows that law (which helps to remember it IMO). You can carry into establishments that serve alchohol, like restaurants, but not establishments (like bars) or sections where minors are not allowed. And it is your responsibilty to know this. In my experience, lounges/bars are usually clearly designated areas, because the restaurant needs to make this clear to "everyone", not just cc'ers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts