Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I went out for a few drinks on Saturday night and I had promised my wife I would not carry because I was going to be, "Drinking until I got my brother tanked."

When we were leaving the house, I commented to my brother how I didn't like going out without a gun. He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun. He said, "I don't have one, and I've never had a problem. I mind my own business and don't worry about it."

:blink: What? :blink: I said I've never had a problem either, but that doesn't mean I never will. I continued stating that BGs don't care if you are minding your own business or if you are not worrying about it... actually they PREFER you are not worrying about it so you are an easier target.

Well, I figured I would talk to him more about it as we were drinking, but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions" :yup:

He confuses the heck out of me because he is otherwise the classic conservative, anti-Obama type and he supports gun ownership, etc. I need to get him straightened out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
He sounds just like my wife. The "not me" mentality. Like the victims of murder, rape, robbery, etc. "knew" their time was up.

Next time, smack him in the head and tell him not to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Sometime I ignore those comments - sometimes I ask "Do you have a fire extinguisher and/or smoke detector at home?" - Usual answer is yes; then - Sarcastically I say "Whoa, are you PARANOID about fires? I've never had a fire at home before; I don't really see a NEED for a fire extinguisher or smoke alarm; I can ALWAYS call the Fire Department if I have a problem with a FIRE so why should I worry about having a Fire extinguisher?" "Oh, Wait, If a fire, although not likely - did happen - you think it might help to be able to take IMMEDIATE action and NOT have to WAIT till the firemen arrive?? - That those few min's may make a DIFFERENCE if I don't do something MYSELF?"
After this I add; Hummmm, maybe the same is true about my being "armed" - for the unlikely chance something "might" happen requiring a Policeman - but having NONE present and having to call and wait for one - might make a difference MY being armed would help in the mean time..??....

·
Registered
203 Posts
He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun.
This reactions seems to be fairly common. My response is: why do you think you don't need to carry a gun?

Are any of your other constitutional rights optional? Why should the 2nd amendment be optional?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
My brother and I went out for a few drinks on Saturday night and I had promised my wife I would not carry because I was going to be, "Drinking until I got my brother tanked."

When we were leaving the house, I commented to my brother how I didn't like going out without a gun. He just looked at me and asked why I needed to carry a gun. He said, "I don't have one, and I've never had a problem. I mind my own business and don't worry about it."

:blink: What? :blink: I said I've never had a problem either, but that doesn't mean I never will. I continued stating that BGs don't care if you are minding your own business or if you are not worrying about it... actually they PREFER you are not worrying about it so you are an easier target.

Well, I figured I would talk to him more about it as we were drinking, but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions" :yup:

He confuses the heck out of me because he is otherwise the classic conservative, anti-Obama type and he supports gun ownership, etc. I need to get him straightened out.
Maybe you could try doing some of your convincing at the local shooting range? Another way of having a good time with your brother and you get to carry at the same time:yup:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Well, I figured I would talk to him more about it as we were drinking, but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions" :yup:.
Love the wardrobe malfunctions line :rolleyes: :wink:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got into a bit of a disagreement with my mother a few weeks ago about carrying.
After it got well past the point it should have she asks me 'so what has happened since you got your license'.
'what' ?
'what has happened since you got your license' ?
'uh...nothing' ?
'see...nothing happened'.

So I guess since Ive not been shot at, robbed or stabbed since Ive been carrying these last few months that carrying concealed is pointless. :blink:
Ridiculous logic coming from a woman who has been physically assaulted and robbed in the past.
Sometimes you just have to let them believe what they want to believe and hope that when the bad guys come its to you instead of them.

·
Registered
785 Posts
+1 to the OP for realizing guns and alcohol don't mix. If I'm carrying, which is about 99.9% of the time, I won't have more than two drinks (always with food), just like if I'm driving.

Even if you mind your own business, the BGs will sometimes mind it for you. I feel no compulsion to defend those who will not defend themselves.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This approach doesn't work on MANY people, myself included!

We need to promote 2nd Amendment rights and gun ownership on basic principles, instead of on politics. otherwise, me being the classic liberal, pro-Obama type, I might decide that gun ownership isn't for me, and stop supporting the cause!

Fortunately, that's not going to happen. Being from the proverbial hood, I know all too well that for one, I don't wanna go back there, and two, it's up to me to protect myself most of the time!!

Note - not intended to be a political rant. Just a suggestion . . .

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sometime I ignore those comments - sometimes I ask "Do you have a fire extinguisher and/or smoke detector at home?" - Usual answer is yes; then - Sarcastically I say "Whoa, are you PARANOID about fires? I've never had a fire at home before; I don't really see a NEED for a fire extinguisher or smoke alarm; I can ALWAYS call the Fire Department if I have a problem with a FIRE so why should I worry about having a Fire extinguisher?" "Oh, Wait, If a fire, although not likely - did happen - you think it might help to be able to take IMMEDIATE action and NOT have to WAIT till the firemen arrive?? - That those few min's may make a DIFFERENCE if I don't do something MYSELF?"
After this I add; Hummmm, maybe the same is true about my being "armed" - for the unlikely chance something "might" happen requiring a Policeman - but having NONE present and having to call and wait for one - might make a difference MY being armed would help in the mean time..??....
This has become my standard line of conversation when this comes up.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
+1, :hand10: Good response. Let's just prey your brother never has to play that scenario out in real life. :yup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
That has always struck me as being odd, when two people grow up in the same house, raised in the same manner and have completly different views on these issues.

Well being that he's your brother, guess you can atleast give it a shot and try to straighten him out. Good luck with that

·
Registered
20 Posts
:/ When reading this I have had flashbacks to the same conversations I've had with people in my own family.

I just don't get the reasoning. So they've never had a problem before... so what? That doesn't mean they'll continue to never have a problem... all it takes is ONCE. Are you going to wait until that one time happens? By that time, it's too late.

I told someone once that I'll take the gun, she can keep the crystal ball, plsthx.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This approach doesn't work on MANY people, myself included!
Wouldn't work on me, either. Nobody can jam their opinion up my [ahem] nose, and expect it to stick.

We need to promote 2nd Amendment rights and gun ownership on basic principles, instead of on politics. otherwise, me being the classic liberal, pro-Obama type, I might decide that gun ownership isn't for me, and stop supporting the cause!
Absolutely agree. 2A shouldn't be a political dividing point; it should be there for all of us to use to protect ourselves and our loved ones, regardless.

And this should go for the politicians, too, as well as us only-normally-crazy people. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Some people just don't get the CCW thing. They are living in condition white, and until some incident crosses their path, they won't see a need.:confused:
Hopefully, that path crossing won't be a serious one.:ticking:
I wouldn't make it a point of discussion each time you talk, but I would point out local crime as it happens.:yup:

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
"I don't have one, and I've never had a problem. I mind my own business and don't worry about it."

Classic last words...By people who moments later find them self for the first time wishing for and/or needing some means of defense.

At this stage in the try to educate people game I'm nearly convinced that people who think this way, regardless of the being left, right, or center minded in politic, are simply that way because they choose to be.
It's not like they have not seen or read the news before. They just simply choose to pay it no mind and/or forget about it and 'move on' with life.

Life is all about choices, and people make them.
Personally if I had been in your shoes I would have brought along OC/CS and/or a blade, as in lieu of a gun. But then I stopped going out to get me or other people specifically _drunk_ some 15 yrs. ago back in my mid twenties.

- Janq

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
This reactions seems to be fairly common. My response is: why do you think you don't need to carry a gun?

Are any of your other constitutional rights optional? Why should the 2nd amendment be optional?
My response to that question is "so I can save your ass someday :yup:"

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
He said, "I don't have one, and I've never had a problem. I mind my own business and don't worry about it."
Famous last words that preceded most attacks, probably.

... BGs don't care if you are minding your own business or if you are not worrying about it... actually they PREFER you are not worrying about it so you are an easier target.
Yup. Similar to the laws of physics, the laws of "marking targets" are simply how things work. Targets are softer/better when they're caught unaware and distracted by other things.

... but the conversation never really got there once we started observing the female entertainers that kept having "wardrobe malfunctions"
When the "Jacksons" start flowing, things can get rough. :tongue: :yup:

I need to get him straightened out.
What, no designated driver and carrier, that night?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts