Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got me CCW here in Montana. All my pistols are wheel guns, am looking for a more "concealable" weapon. Searching the internet looking for opinions (there are many). I want something that I can carry on my FLHRCI as we are going to ride the country next summer (western part) and want to carry something. I am retired so money has become a issue.
In my mind, I have narrowed it down to a 9mm or .40, and Glocks (as far as I have read) are a tuff, reliable weapon that won't break my bank. In that line, the G19, G23, and the G27 have peaked my interest.
Anyone have thoughts on these weapons or maybe a different manufacturer with a handgun that will fit my needs....?

·
Registered
601 Posts
It is hard to go wrong with a Glock if it points well for you. Combat accurate and very reliable.

If you decide on a larger gun, the G19 and G23 are both great options. They are a very good balance between capacity and concealability.

If you want something a bit smaller, take a look at the G36. It's the only Glock I have. It's a single stack .45ACP. Thinner than the G27, but a slightly longer grip (because of the magazine). It is the most comfortable sub-compact I've handled. It handles the recoil very well too. It is only slightly more stiff than my P220 (which is a full size gun with an aluminum frame). The G36 carries six in the mag and one in the chamber, so it's a seven shot six shooter!

Another good option is the Smith & Wesson M&P series. The M&P subcompact is a close second to my G36 in fitting my hand. I'd personally choose that before a G27. I've got an M&P full size in .40. It is between the G23 and G22 in size, with the same capacity as the G22 - fifteen plus one.

Choosing the right carry gun can be difficult. I'd advise you to hit some gun shops and start handling them to see what you like. Either a Glock or a S&W M&P will treat you well. It would also be good to see if any ranges/shops in the area rent guns. It'd be worthwhile to spend a little cash up front to be able to shoot them all side-by-side.

Good luck!

·
Registered
313 Posts
A BUNCH of different firearms will fill the bill. Ultimately it's taken time and actual carry for me to figure out what works.

The Glocks are great choices, they're reliable and they're not gonna be picky about ammunition. I have the 26 and I think a 19 is maybe even a little better overall. I find the butt length of the 19 makes for a faster draw, though it's not quite as concealable.

I'll also say that in my experience, an sp101 feels thinner IWB (and at 5'11"/170, conceals easier) than a Glock. I used to think autoloaders were a no-brainer, but I have come to love the simplicity of a 5-shot .357 with .38+P or .357. I've owned a 3 1/16" sp101 for a couple years, just committed to purchasing a 2.25" this morning, and am still looking for an older S&W 640.

But I can shoot the Glock faster. Concealed carry is one heck of a complex compromise equation.

Don't forget a proper holster (look in the holster section of this forum) and gun belt; that will make all the difference in the world. Enjoy your trip!

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
I used to swear by 1911's and hated the look and feel of the Bricks, errr...Glocks. Then I discovered the Glock-36, and that got me started, then the Glock-26...anyway, you can't go wrong with a Glock.
Regardless of the caliber, you will be happy with a Glock.:image035::yup::wave:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Glock comments

Any of the compact or subcompact Glocks make a good concealed carry gun. They are all lightweight, reliable, durable, fairly inexpensive and easy to shoot well. I have a G19 and a G23 as well as many other handguns, but the Glocks have long been favorites for carry. I especially like their simplicity of operation and same trigger pull on every shot, unlike DA/SA guns.

As for which one to pick, I find myself favoring the G23 because I like the .40 caliber ballistics. The G27 is slightly smaller and easier to conceal, but more difficult to control in recoil with only 2 fingers on the grip. I figure that I can conceal a G23 almost as easily as a G27.

If you like .45 caliber, the G36 looks very interesting.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Glocks are a great option. I think they shoot well, and have great reliability. My only hangup with them is that they're are not at point of aim (due to grip angle) for me. I have to tilt the barrel. The Springfield XD fit very well and points right where I'm looking. I like have the extra safety on it as well...some don't care for it. Try to "drive" as many as you can and go with what fits best!

·
Banned
86 Posts
Cz 75b

I would recommend a CZ from CZ-USA. These pistols are great (as you can see from discussions on this forum) and relatively inexpensive. You can even get SA only (like I have) DAO or DA/SA including in 45 cal. I carried Glocks and custom 1911s in the 1990s but now only carry custom CZs. IMO best pistol/value on the market and customization is relatively inexpensive. The point of aim is spectacular IMO and they are very accurate out of the box due to slide configuration.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What is wrong with your revolvers? I carry a 3" 657 .41 mag occasionally with no problem and I'm 5' 7" and 170 lbs. A 2.5" or a 4" K frame is more easy to carry and conceal as a semi and I've never had a single of my S&W's go bang without so much as a 50 round break in when I've squeezed the trigeger. Cannot say the same about a few semi's I've owned. My little and ancient S&W 36 goes with me everytime I leave the house and I don't know it's even there after packing it for years. It's a great CCW.

If you want a great semi I can highly recommend a CZ-82. 12 rounds, easily concealable, all steel and extremely reliable and accurate. They can be had for less than $250.00 and that leaves you plenty of money left over for a quality belt, holster and lots of ammo to practice with for full confidence and knowing it's controls. Better ballistics than a .380 and ammo is easily available at a good price. This pistol is a steal for what you pay for it!

Ride safe fellow HD rider!

·
Registered
236 Posts
At least as important as the gun, is the holster you choose. Carry while walking or driving a car is different from a bike or horse. Evena well designed "normal" concealment holster may not suit your need. You might even want two or more holsters for different locations.
A full flap holster isn't great for quick-draw, but the gun will be bthere and functional which is better than a gun that isn't there in functioning condition.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I own a few Glocks and each one has been 100% reliable. I own glocks in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. Of those, I would NEVER part with the G19, (9mm) or the G36 (45 ACP).

My recommendation for a first gun is always the G19. It is the easiest gun to shoot, and 9mm ammo is effective, less expensive, and soft recoil.

If you are looking for something different, CDNN sports is currently selling the Sig SP 2022 in 9mm for $399. That is an unheard of price for a Sig Sauer. It has become one of my favorite guns in a very short time, and as most Sigs are; this one is 100% reliable.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I would suggest either the G26 or G27.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I would suggest either the G26 or G27.
And I would definitely second the suggestion. I have plenty of others to choose from and I just recently picked up the G26 and would highly suggest it, or the G27 for CC any day. IMO, they're awesome carry pistols.:hand10:

GBK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts