Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, I started a thread about my old Parker 10mm, that I had managed to get running with some parts from my Colt Government model. I also mentioned about the cheap Brazilian parts gun that I have 'borrowed from' at times.

The “cheap Brazilian parts gun” (hereinafter referred to as “CBPG”) was a mishmash of parts that I inherited from Dad. I have no idea how he came upon it, but my guess is that someone gave it to him because they didn’t want it in their house anymore, and he was probably the only police officer they trusted to not let it get into the wrong hands. The frame is from Essex Arms and has a curved mainspring housing. The slide is Brazilian government made (EXERCITO BRASILIERO) complete with Government stamp. (Pre IMBEL). The grips are simulated wood with a silver Colt medallion in them. I believe they are from a 70 series MK IV. It’s got a fancy (to me) oversize adjustable trigger that appears to be a gold-tone aluminum. The trigger face is wide and serrated and feels quite nice. The bushing is the typical 70 series collet style bushing. A while back, I decided to take it out back and see how well it functioned. Well, it didn’t. I couldn’t get through a magazine without either a failure to feed or failure to eject. The machining on the underside of the slide was coarse at best, (think wood rasp), and it resulted in a less-than-smooth slide action. So, I put it back in the box of other ‘parts’ and figured that it would only ever be a parts gun.

Fast-forward to earlier this month. When I compared the recoil springs from the Parker, the CBPG, and the Colt Government model, I noticed that the CBPG spring was significantly shorter than the Government model, so I decided that I’d try an official Government model recoil spring. When I purchased parts from Brownell's for the Parker, I ordered a second recoil spring for the CBPG. I figured I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. The parts came in today. I put the GI recoil spring in the CBPG and took it out back for a test run. And did it ever run! Granted, I only put but about 40 or 50 rounds through it, but it functioned FLAWLESSLY. And it’s ACCURATE! It’s a win for me, because I now have another functioning .45 (for the cost of a recoil spring).

All-in-all, a good day!

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Pic's, OR it didn't happen! 😂

Reactions: montejames

·
Administrator
143,469 Posts
Not bad. If you're not certain as to who manufactured the slide stop/ release - you might want to at least switch that out for one of a known quality. Even if it is a quality casting.
There have been some really poor quality castings floating around out there for years now.
They tend to crack at inappropriate times.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
If it goes bang every time I like it!

Reactions: Henry9008
1 - 6 of 6 Posts