Defensive Carry banner

Unexpected things to practice?

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  BugDude 
#1 ·
I just saw something in another thread that made me realize I wasnt prepared to do something if I had only my weak hand to shoot.

"If thumb safety isnt ambidextrous, you cant get to it if you are reduced to your weak hand." (sic)

My first thought was, of course you can, but you must figure out how first and then practice it. I mean, they've even got ways to rack a slide with one hand...but it's not easy.

So now I will practice a way to (as quickly as possible and maybe multiple ways) release my thumb safety with my weak hand (or with my body or side of my holster or ....).

What other things might we not think of, that we can practice for those 'rare occasions' that happen when we are least prepared? (Yeah, I know, no gunfight will be optimal and none will be the same.) What things might not have been covered in your firearm training?

As a newer shooter, this stuff is helpful, even if the old hands have it all worked out :smile: And there's way more than just considering one-handed or weak-handed shooting.

Suggestions? Getting to my mag release and reloading one-handed is another one to work out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shoot from the Hip

Well, there's a ton of things you could practice. One, if you haven't is, drawing and shooting from the hip. Elbow tucked in to side below ribs, upper arm and forearm at rt angles to each other. This for distances of about a yard or so, when someone is on top of you nearly and you have no time to even point-shoot. You don't look at the gun but at the target/BG. Practice the draw and hand and arm position a lot with unloaded gun. If your range allows you to shoot like that - mine does for certain trusted individuals - then work with someone with live rounds so you get a feel of being on target just raising the gun up from your side. Don't add the draw yet. Then, when you're accurate enough, real slow, try the draw with live. I'd work with someone though, I did. Don't think it's a good one to do live on your own trying to teach yourself.

Anyway, that's one - and a needed one - since often, if something goes down, it will be very close to us.

#5 ·
Well, there's a ton of things you could practice. One, if you haven't is, drawing and shooting from the hip. Elbow tucked in to side below ribs, upper arm and forearm at rt angles to each other. This for distances of about a yard or so, when someone is on top of you nearly and you have no time to even point-shoot. You don't look at the gun but at the target/BG. Practice the draw and hand and arm position a lot with unloaded gun. If your range allows you to shoot like that - mine does for certain trusted individuals - then work with someone with live rounds so you get a feel of being on target just raising the gun up from your side. Don't add the draw yet. Then, when you're accurate enough, real slow, try the draw with live. I'd work with someone though, I did. Don't think it's a good one to do live on your own trying to teach yourself.

Anyway, that's one - and a needed one - since often, if something goes down, it will be very close to us.
Shooting an attacker at that distance could prove to be pretty messy as far as fluids go. I'm not saying that as a reason to not defend ones self, just be ready for potential blood and guts to get in your mouth. Just something to think about.

#3 ·
Master the Pistol-whip. :danceban: In all reality, working and training on reflexes is very commonly over-looked. Do conditioning with the hands and arms, as well as foresight of rounding a corner into a threat.

#4 ·
Similar to what you're talking about I would also add getting to and operating your knife with your weak hand. Be sure you can reach it, open it and use it. If you carry strong side and are using your strong side hand to keep someone from taking your gun you're going to need to be able to operate your knife with your weak hand.

#6 ·
Drawing your weapon in the Car, Not as easy as ya think.

#8 ·
The first thing to think about is how are you going to draw your weapon with your weak hand if you carry it on your strong side? I carry in an IWB at 3:00 and it would be very difficult for me. If it were out already, you would need to practice releasing the safety as you draw and then in the switch it is not an issue. I carry a very small 9mm strong side IWB with a thumb safety (not ambi). During the winter (it's been like 9 degrees - 20 degrees here for weeks) when I have to bundle up in a heavy coat, I carry a snub 38 in my weak side coat pocket for ease of access. If I had to, I could fire that weapon from inside the pocket. It's impossible to prepare for every scenario, but your thought process is on target. Keep reading this forum and you will discover a wealth of knowledge (like carrying OC spray as a non-lethal 'get the heck out of dodge' alternative).

#10 ·
:congrats: JMO, the gun should be your "no other choice, them or me" thing. Other alternatives are wise and knowing your state laws regarding justifiable use of lethal force are a must. You'd be surprised.

#11 ·
Great suggestions so far. All of them.

And I agree that a gun is the last resort. I also have practiced weak and strong hand with my blade.

I'm practicing with the action shooting club right now for some more skills, but weapon retention is one that I want to seek training in.

More, please!

#12 ·
This forum is a great place to learn. I've learned more the last few months here than anywhere. The best summary of defensive strategies I've learned on this forum can be found in the timeless words of a Kenny Rogers song:

"you've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
know when to walk away, and know when to run."

#13 ·
forget the gun for a moment and bone up on your hand to hand combat abilities...pick up some pepper spray and think about where you can easily access it and use it from...dont get hung up on using your gun...there are other defenses that may come in handy...
A very good point - and one I'm remiss in. Been shooting a few years and still haven't picked one. I want a secondary way - if time and the situation allows - to have a non-lethal alternative to try first. Keep getting stuck between Pep. Spray which is good if you can hit with the little stream it gives out, and it leaves evidence that you attempted something less than lethal and only then - if it didn't stop the BG - went to your gun; and the other choice I could make, a VERY bright Surefire I have, easily blind a BG without needing the aim of pepper spray. For this though, no record that you used it, lacks the legal defense implications of Pep. Spray.

But i should pick one and start carrying it. The light also requires training in using it with gun, and perhaps sacrificing a two-handed strong grip. Course, you could always just try it alone, if didn't stop the BG, toss it and go the gun, forget the light at that point. Maybe I'll choose the light. Be enough to gain advantage of time - to run or at least create distance - or if it doesn't stop BG for more than a second, have that beat to get the gun ready to go.

Carrying all three would confuse me, so it's choose one, try it for awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.