Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this here because it affects the NRA and they are the premier Second Amendment & Gun Legislation organization.

On the top is the actual gun used by the Baton Rouge police killer. On the bottom is the cover of the August 2016 issue of the NRA Shooting Illustrated that I just got in the mail today.

Having been a magazine editor in my career, I can imagine the frantic calling to the printer to see if the cover could be changed...too late. I would have stopped the mailing even if it meant reprinting the issue. I guess it was too late for that too.

Tavor3.jpg Tavor Cover.jpg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,682 Posts
I didn't make the connection. It's an unfortunate coincidence, but there is no fault with the NRA or editors. There is nothing to be read into this. Unfortunately others may try to make arguments about it...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
I wasn't aware that the shooter used a Tavor, and probably most of the public doesn't know or care either. Bad timing to really knowledgeable and wonky gun people but I don't think it's all that bad for them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rabbit212

·
Registered
Joined
·
489 Posts
The timing might be poor; and it may look bad according to some. However, you must remember that somebody has been murdered by practically every type of firearm out there. Even Joe Biden's beloved double barrel shotgun has racked up quite a body count on the streets. Right after Sandy Hook, dozens of gun magazines had AR-15's on the cover. This isn't all that different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
Most will not know what was used...but it is rather unfortunate timing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
Seem like a lot of "hey look at this so you won't notice this"
 
  • Like
Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First I've heard of what weapon was used. A good thing really that weapon has not been emphasized.
Actually it has been emphasized. I would not have made the connection myself if I had not seen that first picture in several news reports, along with the nomenclature of the weapon.

I agree that from the POV of people on this site, the coincidence means nothing. I just think it unfortunately adds fuel to the fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
99.5% of the population doesn't care what the gun he used was, unless it was (or can mistakenly be called) an AR-15. Of the remaining 0.5%, only a tiny fraction were aware that the shooter used a Tavor. Only reason I knew is because I saw it in a photo. I've yet to see an article where his weapon was mentioned by name. I don't think this will be a problem unless some lefty reporter picks up on it and decides to really push some "NRA shaming"...
 
  • Like
Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
Actually, all of the reports that I have seen, said that the rifle he used was an AK variant...FoxNews named it as a Saiga.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top