Defensive Carry banner

University Of Texas Professors Sue To Block Guns In Classrooms

2K views 21 replies 22 participants last post by  Havok 
#1 ·
I guess this was inevitable. The law was supposed to take effect August 1st but it may now be tied up in federal court for a year or more.

University of Texas professors sue to block guns in classrooms - One America News Network

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) – Three University of Texas professors have filed a federal lawsuit to halt a state law that would allow holders of concealed handgun licenses to bring pistols into classrooms, saying the measure would have a devastating effect on academic discourse.

#2 ·
The professors argue that they discus controversial and emotionally laden subjects such as reproductive rights and it would be inevitable for them to pull back at important junctures because of a cloud of gun violence hanging over the classroom.
Sounds like one of those "rights" studies professor, I don't think they even supports 1A unless it's their opinion.

#13 ·
I was thinking a counter-suit by students with permits, against the professors for infringement of their rights...and have the professors put their money where their mouth is.

#7 ·
Actually it is good that a challenge has come up. If the courts uphold the law then it is real. If not then it never was. Sadly, Laws are only as good as their ability to stand up to challenge in today's America. Having a challenge with no violent incident attached to it gives the writers a better chance of it being upheld. If there were a shooting scenario attached as a basis for the suit...emotion based politics would then enter the argument. This challenge presupposes that any CC student is by nature a violent risk. Which is unreasonable.

#9 ·
Doesn't say any injunction was filed to prevent the law taking effect while in court, and if none, it will go into effect and be legal while the case is in court. During that time..... assuming it takes a year ..... will likely show that during that time, nothing different happened and there were no incidents.... and therefore the rationale of the plaintiffs has no basis in reality.

Lame .. that liberal progressive educators think they should be special and able to take away people's constitutional rights, whereas they have no real basis to deny those people that right.

As said, nothing saying there is any injunction .... so the law will still take effect, it will still be legal anyway, and they would have to prove potential harm if an injunction were not issued.... or made permanent until the court case was over. Doesn't appear they did that.

#10 ·
yeah, good luck with that, professor. sometimes you've got to live what you've been professing. The 2A is alive, and it's time to act like it.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#22 ·
There is a reason why many of them are teaching, and not doing what they spent a bunch of time and money to go to school for.

#17 ·
We could always try to turn this the other direction...
“Compelling professors at a public university to allow, without any limitation or restriction, students to carry concealed guns in their classrooms chills their First Amendment rights to academic freedom,” the lawsuit stated.
It sounds like they want their First Amendment rights to be able to "chill" our Second Amendment rights - see...it works both ways! Is a countersuit in order?

#18 ·
We could always try to turn this the other direction...

It sounds like they want their First Amendment rights to be able to "chill" our Second Amendment rights - see...it works both ways! Is a countersuit in order?
They care not for the First amendment, they do care about total control and the Narrative .

#20 ·
All you need is two students that carry to allow safe discourse. If one becomes unruly and threatens to gun down the prof. then the other can take him out.

I think they're worried about jealous boyfriends, frankly. You know those profs and their out-of-control Lolita Complexes. I don't think it's 'hitzköpfig studenten' at all. (te-he)

#21 ·
I don't think I ever attended a college course that was an adversarial condition between instructor and student. Part of my current career has me teaching (I'm traveling this week for this purpose), and I never once consider my students as opponents.

This silly idea gets the whole classroom atmosphere off on the wrong foot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.