Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one threw me. A very good friend's son is in the Air Force stationed in Georgia. He was home on leave and I noticed a Kahr nine in the SOB position. (I was NOT concealed well). I told him that's a good way to get in very serious trouble in Wisconsin. He said" Oh, I forgot, in Georgia all Military can carry concealed weapons with no permit." I sure never heard of this and can't find it addressed on line. If anyone know's the truth of that, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yep. 941.23 says only police can carry concealed.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Wisconsin has no reciprocity, does not issue carry permits, does not honor a carry permit. Unless you are LE carrying in compliance with LEOSA you cannot conceal a weapon in public in Wisconsin. Period. Military doesn't mean crap.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
He is correct as to the military in GA, however that is only good within the state borders of GA. Once he crosses the state line he must be in compliance of that states laws.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Only stationed in GA?

I'm not at a computer now or I'd look it up again but I believe it only applies to active duty servicemembers stationed in GA?

·
Registered
536 Posts
In this thread it is hashed out pretty well.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/concealed-carry-issues-discussions/83513-ga-carry.html

In this GA AG Opinion he hashes out his logic as the Attorney General.
AG Opinions - firearm

IANAL but in section 16-11-130 it states as an exemption to Concealed Carry Laws:
"(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;"
it does not specifify stationed in GA or while on duty, this covers all persons in Military Service of the United States while in the state of Georgia. It does not and can not cover reciprocity since it exempts them from GA concealed Carry Laws, they can carry concealed anywhere law exforcement can in the State of GA.

·
Registered
541 Posts
He'd better play his I'm Deputy Director Of The CIA card
I dont understand what the issue is,,,, if he is allowed to carry without a permit, then whats the big deal??? If he is not pushing the limits on where he is going i.e federal buildings an so forth,

what does it matter then???

·
Registered
7,586 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont understand what the issue is,,,, if he is allowed to carry without a permit, then whats the big deal??? If he is not pushing the limits on where he is going i.e federal buildings an so forth,

what does it matter then???
He is allowed to carry concealed only in the state of Georgia without a permit. This incident happened in the state of Wisconsin where it is illegal to carry concealed, be it military or not.

-Damien

·
Registered
536 Posts
He said" Oh, I forgot, in Georgia all Military can carry concealed weapons with no permit." I sure never heard of this and can't find it addressed on line. If anyone know's the truth of that, please let me know. Thanks.
His question is to protect his friends son in Georgia. OP knows the law in his home state, and is asking about the status of GA law in regards to Active Military.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The friend's son is good to go in the Peach state. You have correctly cited the appropriate code in OCGA - the statutory code of the State of Georgia. Just tell him that he has to carry his ID on him at all times and that he has to abide by our rules while he's visiting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've personally dealt with this issue from when I was stationed at Ft. Benning. One thing is VERY important to remember:

Always keep a copy of the Georgia statute covering CCW for military service members on your person and in your vehicle along with your military ID (never travel without it!). Read it carefully and understand it...had a GBI agent tell me that I could carry concealed, but the firearm had to be unloaded at all times...and I don't recall if/what I found to dispute that.

The Columbus, Ga LEO's are complete jerks about this statute and WILL try to tell you it applies only to your duty firearm and only during the course of your duties in the military. This is a lie (they know it's not true) and should be addressed on-site with that statute....highlight the applicable section.

If you get any static from any Ga LEO when you politely and professionally provide the statute (don't EVER hand them your military ID, it's DOD property, they can see it from your hand), just write down their badge number, name, and demand that you speak to a supervisor in person immediately. Be courteous just once, if they persist, firmly remind the LEO to focus on the reason for the stop and that any continuing pursuit of the CCW issue will be deemed a violation of your civil rights as you have courteously provided the applicable statute.

Do not forget that once you cross the state line to leave Ga, the statute no longer applies. If you're a resident of a bordering town in Alabama, you can address the Alabama CCW issue for your being stationed neary-by. Our issue was that we lived in Alabama (Phenix City) and were stationed at Ft. Benning. We needed coverage in both states because of where we had just returned from. Easy to get worked out, you just have to be willing to do the leg work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
He'd better play his I'm Deputy Director Of The CIA card

Actually, gov't officials have strict regulations in Ga on where/how they can carry. For some reason the statute is worded in a specific manner for certain government folks, but not for the military folks.

Glad to have it that way as I exploited that statute daily myself when I was there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank You all for your input, Gentlemen. I'll pass this along. I already told him Wisconsin does not recognize CCW permits from ANYWHERE with the LEOSA exception, for which they have no choice. Sadly to say, even today some LEO's are unfamilar with LEOSA. A man I met at a FOP meeting had no idea what LEOSA was! A county deputy Sheriff, no less. I gave the young Airman a heads up on concealment too. I spotted his Kahr in the SOB position from 20 feet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts