Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my church on Wednesday evening (Dec. 23) for a rehearsal. I am playing the Congas on a tune with a lady from our choir on piano and the kids singing before the Christmas Eve service.

Upon arrival, I meet up with another lady in the choir as I'm getting my Congas out of the truck. They practice on Wed. nights. I had a .25apc in my coat pocket. Not to start discussion on my choice of weapon and caliber, it was handy to have just in case and my 9mm would probably have been a better choice, I know.

We noticed all the lights on, plus the doors were locked. She had the key to the door of the basement, where we were going in. She felt a bit afraid there might be someone other than chior members and organist inside.

I kind of blurted out, "Don't worry, I can put small caliber holes in anyone who might not be our friend." She looked at me and said without expression, "Well, I have a concealed carry permit!"

WOW! Didn't see that coming! Would NEVER have guessed she would have even liked firearms, let alone have a permit to carry one! I told her, "I also have one from WV and a Non-res NH one as well." There was nobody inside, apparently earlier in the day someone from the church brought poinsettias and didn't turn off lights as they left. She actually showed me her permit card. I didn't ask if she was carrying but just assume she would.

That makes four of us in our church that have permits, me, my wife, another guy and now the lady in the choir. I think my church has become a bit safer now by knowing others there have permits and can carry.

God does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
You never know who will have one. LOL nice story thanks for sharing.:smile:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It's a sad fact of modern day life that those who's job it is to protect us, don't. The police, fire department, and government have become first responders. When seconds count, only minutes away! Exactly the reason our forefathers armed themselves. Civilization has come full circle. Now it's time for revolution.

·
Registered
125 Posts
the majority of the people in my ccw class did not look like the type that would carry a firearm. that was good to see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately churches today have been force to have armed security people even in there services. These are usually large churches due to the high cost of insurance required. Smaller churches are resorting allowing those who have CCWs to carry during services. Of course that causes a significant problem that if anything should happen you done know who has a gun and may start shooting.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
What a pleasant surprise...:yup:
Stay armed...in church, too...stay safe!

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Well, good. I guess it's good to know more folks carry, especially at your place of worship. Things I would like to know are....
A) does it make someone feel more comfortable knowing others around you actively carry?
B) why or why not?
C) there are permit holders, there are carriers, then there are those we might place too much dependency on when it actually comes time to pull the trigger. Out of those whom you have found out have a permit....what percentage of them would you place into each category?
D) with your knowledge of those around you who have permits or you know carry.......how does this knowledge affect you personally? More at ease, more socially outgoing, more confident, etc.......?
I'm not picking around, or fishing for anything here. I'm just trying to get a handle on how this affects folks that know others in their community carry. I'm still up in the air about knowing others around me carry regularly and how it would affect me good or bad or indifferent. Personally, I remain independent, of course my wife carries all of the time as well as me, and that sort of feeling/effect makes life wonderful for me. We've each got each others' back, and I feel confident about her while she is without me or at work.
I would appreciate anyone's opinions that happen to be in that situation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Things I would like to know are....
A) does it make someone feel more comfortable knowing others around you actively carry?
B) why or why not?
No, it actually makes me feel less comfortable. This is mostly because I know most of them lack proper training and they rarely practice. If SHTF I think they are just as likely to hit innocents as they are the bad guys.

I feel very comfortable with the ones I know have had training and who practice reasonably often with their firearm.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Maybe you guys could start a Bible study. I guess it would be a little hard to advertise and invite people, but group activities and discussions could be a lot of fun. I think I have seen a few websites about groups of Christian carriers.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Went to my church on Wednesday evening (Dec. 23) for a rehearsal. I am playing the Congas on a tune with a lady from our choir on piano and the kids singing before the Christmas Eve service.

Upon arrival, I meet up with another lady in the choir as I'm getting my Congas out of the truck. They practice on Wed. nights. I had a .25apc in my coat pocket. Not to start discussion on my choice of weapon and caliber, it was handy to have just in case and my 9mm would probably have been a better choice, I know.

We noticed all the lights on, plus the doors were locked. She had the key to the door of the basement, where we were going in. She felt a bit afraid there might be someone other than chior members and organist inside.

I kind of blurted out, "Don't worry, I can put small caliber holes in anyone who might not be our friend." She looked at me and said without expression, "Well, I have a concealed carry permit!"

WOW! Didn't see that coming! Would NEVER have guessed she would have even liked firearms, let alone have a permit to carry one! I told her, "I also have one from WV and a Non-res NH one as well." There was nobody inside, apparently earlier in the day someone from the church brought poinsettias and didn't turn off lights as they left. She actually showed me her permit card. I didn't ask if she was carrying but just assume she would.

That makes four of us in our church that have permits, me, my wife, another guy and now the lady in the choir. I think my church has become a bit safer now by knowing others there have permits and can carry.

God does work in mysterious ways, doesn't He?
I guess someone was preaching to the choir.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There are A LOT of women who have a small piece in their purse. They don't get a permit to carry, they don't quote Thomas Jefferson, they don't have a political ideology attached to carry. But they keep that little Roscoe in their purse because the walk through the parking ramp at night makes them feel the need.

They might even tell you that you are crazy if you carry, but they carry and won't tell anyone that they do.

Now, your friend at church is doing the right way, and that's great.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
excellent!

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle-- :hand10:

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
+1

the majority of the people in my ccw class did not look like the type that would carry a firearm. that was good to see.
Great point.

I don't look like the kind who would carry.

I don't look like the kind who studies martial arts.

I look like the kind who'd be an easy pick-- or so the kid who works with me on Krav and Arnis told me.

I also don't look like the kind that would drive an all wheel drive SUV built on a truck frame and powered with a V8. Not sure what that has to do with anything, except looks are deceiving.

Everyone, stay safe and have a great holiday celebration tonight and tomorrow.

·
Registered
756 Posts
She looked at me and said without expression, "Well, I have a concealed carry permit!"
Interesting choice of words. It makes me wonder whether she actually armed..?

She can wave around the little card with her picture on it as much as she likes, but it wont do her a bit of good unless she has the means to back it up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts