Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had a situation where it was life and death and your gun (that you thought was reliable) didn't shoot or know of someone that (god forbid) is no longer with us because of this situation?

We hear all the time about people not trusting guns but how often does it happen (and yes once for me is way to many).

·
Registered
95 Posts
No one should carry a gun that is in any way unreliable. Reliability is obtained from familiarity with the gun, practicing with the gun and from gaining confidence while using the gun. In addition, we must educated ourselves and be competent with the gun. If I had a gun that was suspect, then I would not carry it, and I probably would get rid of it. I hope I never have to draw and shoot to defend my life or that of my family, but if I did, then I would want a 100% confidence level in my pistol.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The only failure I know of was a LEO friend, years back. His S&W was so jammed with clay mud after wrestling with a subject that the slide would not go into battery after his first shot. Luckily he gained distance, cleared it and was fine, never needing another shot.

Buy quality, keep up on maintenance. Sexy guns aren't always the most reliable either.

·
Registered
40,345 Posts
The only failure I know of was a LEO friend, years back. His S&W was so jammed with clay mud after wrestling with a subject that the slide would not go into battery after his first shot.
That wouldn't be the gun's fault. Any firearm can jam if enough mud is crammed into it. Even GI .45s, loose as they were, could only take so much mud and sand before they failed.

To me, unreliable is a firearm that has a reccuring FTF, FTE and any other stoppage on a range. Any firearm can have a stoppage due to bad ammo. But a recurring problem, with different types of ammo? Not good.

Even my Glock had a FTE followed by a FTF. Once. I cleared the empty casing and reloaded the unfired cartridge and continued with business as usual. Because the gun never had a problem before or since, the problem must have been a bad shell or bad wrist (mine).

So, yeah, the gun is reliable, me and the ammo? May, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
This is why I carry two.

One available to each hand because, IMHO, your more likely to not be able to use one hand when you need it. Examples: Moving your family away from a perp, blocking a strike, arm pinned or trying (if your a LEO) protect your gun against a grab attempt, drawing with your other hand is a better tactical advantage (the perp can't see what your doing) and last but not least Murphy is always around the corner.

To answer your question, No I do not know of anyone who did not have the gun go bang when needed.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Things (guns) break. They can be fine for a long time and then failure. I carry at least 2. I have had Glocks break - springs, rails, slides. Does that mean I don't trust GLOCKS - no just the opposite. They have a longer time between failures than other guns. I love 1911's and HP's but they need more attention. You need regular maintenance and spring replacement but stuff does happen. NO GUN is 100%.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I remember hearing about a shop owner that was killed because he forgot to disengage the safty on his weapon. I think this example would be more common. Know your controls. Without practice, there are a lot of things that. Can go wrong

·
Registered
381 Posts
I remember hearing about a shop owner that was killed because he forgot to disengage the safty on his weapon. I think this example would be more common. Know your controls. Without practice, there are a lot of things that. Can go wrong
I've seen a video of such, but it wasn't because he forgot to disengage the safety, it was because he didn't carry one in the pipe and when he tried to manually operate the slide under stress to chamber a round, it jammed on him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've seen a video of such, but it wasn't because he forgot to disengage the safety, it was because he didn't carry one in the pipe and when he tried to manually operate the slide under stress to chamber a round, it jammed on him.
Contemplating both of these possible situations has led me to decide: I'll never carry unchambered or with the safety on (if it has a safety). You just don't know how well you're going to handle a situation that intense. I don't want anything in the way. In fact, the only gun I don't keep chambered at the house is the 12 gauge beside my night stand. I'd hope that the old "CLICK-CLACK" of the shotty would scare off any bandits. :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
No one should carry a gun that is in any way unreliable. Reliability is obtained from familiarity with the gun, practicing with the gun and from gaining confidence while using the gun. In addition, we must educated ourselves and be competent with the gun. If I had a gun that was suspect, then I would not carry it, and I probably would get rid of it. I hope I never have to draw and shoot to defend my life or that of my family, but if I did, then I would want a 100% confidence level in my pistol.
Don't forget proper maintenance. You can practice till you're blue in the face but if your firearm has not been properly maintained it may very well fail to go boom when you least expect it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Have you ever had a situation where it was life and death and your gun (that you thought was reliable) didn't shoot or know of someone that (god forbid) is no longer with us because of this situation?
No. I have not had such a situation, myself. And I don't personally know a person who had an equipment failure at the wrong time. I've read about a few situations from time to time, as have many of us.

On the range, I (and others) have experienced failures to cycle, of course. But nothing that has occurred when it really mattered.

The mere fact that it occurs so rarely as to be difficult to think of any instances should give us some hope. Firearms must be getting quite reliable, and people must be vetting their defensive arms fairly well, if such instances are so rare as this. That's a good thing.

It's why my personal policy on vetting a new, untested firearm is fairly stiff, requiring hundreds of error-free rounds to occur before I will consider the gun to be "in service."

It's why I carry a backup firearm, at times.

·
Banned
1,059 Posts
I have been lucky but: For thirty or so years, I depended on a .25 caliber Galesi pistol, carrying it as a cab driver and after and before, counting on it here at the house, ready to grab it from on top of my end table by my chair and point it toward my front door. Last CCW class, last year: Jam, jam, jam, jam! Damn! One shot before it jammed! I gave it to the CCW instructor at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds to keep around and show to his classes as an object lesson, to people who kept showing up with old and favorite and family guns that had not been shot by them a lot. Last week: Brand-new FNP-9 pistol that I had loaded and hung up inside a holster that I hung at the ready on my bedroom-closet door, finally taking it to a target range. One shot and jam! Bam and jam! Bam and jam! Damn! Hi-Point: Bang! Bang! Bang! Dang! Yesterday, I and a friend shot my FN until it got better, testing it with three magazines and three boxes of different 9mm bullets. I knew and know better, no excuse not to, after reading and studying these magazines and gun forums online with "YOU TUBE" gun-video shows! Even this may save someone who has a new, old or favorite but untested gun. My friends, I still do not and will not trust that FN until it shoots jam free, you see.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
There were actually two different incidents,the one where he was sitting in the store with several friends when 2 guys barge in shooting and you see him fumbling with his gun,and one in a convenience store where he sees a masked guy come through the doors and pulls his gun trying to shoot but the safetys on and the BG shoots him before he can figure out why his gun won't go bang,that's why some people prefer a gun that has no mechanical safety you have to disengage

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I seem to recall Mas Ayoob documenting such occurrences in articles.

I know what is it like to arrive home after working a night shift of police patrol, and upon unholstering, hearing the two broken pieces of the mainspring rattling around inside the grip frame. (No, the mainspring had not been altered; it was stock, the sixgun about 12 years old.) Fortunately, no gunfight happened during that shift!

I know what it is like to have a failure-to-fire in a training class, because my skinny hand was not reliably pressing a 1911's grip safety far enough. Of course, this was an incompatibility issue, not an unreliable gun, as such. How many times, over several years of carrying 1911s at work, had I very, very nearly needed to fire a shot, and not had a properly depressed grip safety? To be clear, this was a perfect storm of events, caused by my then-mandated duty holster's multiple releases and carry angle tending to cause my hand to not be properly oriented on the weapon, plus my skinny hand, plus the thumb-on-safety method of gripping the weapon. This had never occurred with an open-topped straight-draw holster.

So, for me, all I had were close calls, not actual tragedies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is one reason why I am thinking of converting my "collection" to all have a very similar mode of operation. I do prefer a manual safety. Therefore, all of my guns (CCW, range, etc.) should as well. Additionally, they should all work the same way (my Taurus 709 is a downward sweep but my Cougar is an upward sweep). Inconsistency may lead to issues under stress. I guess another option to eliminate the safety issue to to use guns that just don't have a manual safety. Again, then consistency is key. Ex. A Kahr CW, Glock, XD, etc would make sense together. Whereas with safeties, Taurus 709, CZ 75, 1911's, etc. would make sense.

I'll take my time over the next month or so to consider my style and make changes as needed. I want the sweep of the safety to be the same, every time, on every pistol, carry or range - period. Right now, I do find myself getting them backwards between the Taurus and the Cougar....after reading this thread...that needs to change. Does this make sense to you guys?

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Never have(knock on wood) been there , hope I never get In that situation where I must draw, but just in case, the firearms I carry will not have safeties, save for the trigger on the M&P(they are striker fire)
It most assuredly would turn a bad day worse.

“What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have never been in the situation.. Thankfully, I have never been in a situation (outside of combat) where I needed my weapon..

But to be honest, I have had dreams about it.. Since then, I have jokingly thought to myself that I should get a good holster for my Ruger P89 and carry that.. Just in case something happens where it won't go bang, I could throw it at the BG and kill them that way.. I guess there might be a bright side to carrying a heavy brick.. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Never been in the situation, but I am constantly amazed at the number of malfunctions I see at IDPA matches. Even with revolvers.

I also note many operator errors, as well as ammo failures (both factory and reloaded.)

Defense is a whole system with many parts, mechanical and cognitive, all of which need to function. Training is important, and having non-firearms dependent back up options is a good idea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts