Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unrepentant Sinner the Autobiography of Colonel Charles Askins autographed “To Dennis keep your powder dry old stud! Cordially Col Charles Askins San Antonia 16 April 87” (Askins didn’t know me, thus it was a standard autograph he employed)

Taken from the book:

“There’s a race of men that don’t fit in, a race that can’t stay still; so they break the hearts of kith and kin, and they roam the world at will. Robert Service, The Men That Don’t Fit In”

Askins, Cooper and Jordan were writers that I read their articles in my younger days. Of the three Askins to put it mildly was a man of his times, thus by today’s standards he would be considered to be bigoted and cold blooded. There are those such as Massad Ayoob and other writers that were and are not complementary of Askins but can’t come close to Askins accomplishments thus actual combative experiences.

Out of boredom I pulled out Askins autobiography from a storage cupboard and started reading excerpts again. If one can find a copy it’s a read of times past.

·
Premium Member
33,728 Posts
Robert Service was one of my favorites back when I was required to read poetry as part of my education.

Askins sounds like a good read, too.

Reactions: OD* and dennis40x

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
I've been fortunate to trip over a couple of Charlie Askins' books in used book stores, namely Unrepentant Sinner and The Art of Handgun Shooting. The latter is a bit dry but enough information in it is still relevant today. Unrepentant Sinner draws the reader in as it is a memoir and not instructional in nature. I found his Border Patrol stories particularly enjoyable. I think he had a column in American Handgunner magazine for several years, "Riding the River," I think, back when Cameron Hopkins was editor.

Given the current crisis on our southern border, I rather wish we could maintain the border as was done back when Askins was with the Border Patrol. He wouldn't last a week on duty in today's human-rights-centric political climate, but there's little to argue about how the border was protected and respected under Askins' watch.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
. I think he had a column in American Handgunner magazine for several years, "Riding the River," I think, back when Cameron Hopkins was editor.
I believe that column was authored by Bill Jordan, If my memory services me correctly. The last magazines that Askins wrote for were NRA publications again if my memory services me correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts