Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from James Nelson tonight, and as he's a bit behind in filling his orders he asked me to post this update:

I have been reluctant to post until we knew what we were dealing with but now that we know I will pass this info along so many of you folks know what the holdup is on your orders.

My wife and I are what you would call "high school sweethearts" and have been together a very happy 31 years.

Now then... We were preparing to move into the new location and on the very day we started loading trucks my wife had another bout of seizures, only this time she had between 20 - 25 grand-mal seizures. I called 911 after the first 3 so she was admitted into Baptist, aka Wake Forest University Hospital, (a good drive from our location) and my wife being epileptic I do stay with her while she is in the hospital. I am also a registered nursing assistant and provide care for my wife.

There were several tests ran to find out what was going on but nothing new was found so she was sent home after a week stay in Baptist Hospital. About a week later she had the same exact thing happen and the whole process was repeated and even more tests run but with no luck.

While trying to get moved and set back up my wife coughed up blood so we called the doctor and off to the ER we went, a CT scan was done and they found a problem with that. After about 4-5 weeks worth of tests and procedures it turns out it is stage 2 T-3 N-0 esophageal cancer. She will be going to have a portacath surgically implanted this coming Wednesday to start treatments.

The doctors have told us we are so lucky to catch this in stage 2 and after all the tests it seems to be isolated, so the plan is 6-8 weeks of chemo and radiation to shrink the cancer mass then surgery to remove the mass and affected portion of the esophagus (the esophagus is reconstructed during this process) followed by another 6-8 weeks of chemo and radiation. The surgery is considered a major surgery so please keep her in your prayers with all of this.

While we were gone to Baptist for a series of tests there was a 75 foot tree that fell and did some major damage to the new shop, and the rebuild/repairs "whatever you want to call it" were completed last Friday. Still have a leaky roof that is still going to need to be addressed and I still have a handful of things to do to get back up and running.

I am working as hard as I can on all fronts so if you can please just hang in there just a while longer and I promise your orders will start rolling out the door.

This has been one of the hardest things I have done to date but we do feel blessed to have a good outlook with her diagnosis so far and we will get past this because God is good.

The email address [email protected] is no longer a valid address and I may or may not get any more emails to that address so please use the email address [email protected] to contact me.

Although I am running so far behind (have a few orders still from December) I am still saying my lead times are a rough guess at 8 - 10 weeks, as the last year had been slower than normal and I can go through these orders really fast and get caught back up, it's just a matter of getting set back up now. We are still taking orders.

We are going through a rough spell but myself and my wife are not done just yet, haha. We have been in over 17 gun magazines to date and more to come. Keep your eyes out for the November issue of Gun Digest as we have a little something in it. We will also have a whole new website in the months to come and a couple new designs that should stand out as much as the neoprene backed iwb holsters.

We will be back on top before long, I promise. My customers have become like a family to me. A lot call just to see how we're getting along, which is very appreciated, others have formed an even closer bond where we talk on an almost daily basis (you know who you are lol). I can't thank each and every one of my customers enough for their loyalty, commitment and the friendships they've given us. You guys have been a true blessing. I certainly didn't expect all this when I started making holsters. Who knew? [LOL] God has a mysterious way of doing things and I, for one, couldn't be happier about the way this business, and the friendships that have come with it, have turned out. We've become like an extended family. I thank each and every one of you guys and pray for you each day. Please let me know about any questions or concerns you may have.

Psalms 23

Sincerely,

(Junior) James Nelson
(Betsy) Jana Nelson

James Ervin Nelson
Welcome to Nelson Holsters
[email protected]

828-729-3415
Luke 22:36

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
We sure never thought her epilepsy would end up saving her life thats for sure, the doctors said the epilepsy was the reason for the blood that caught the cancer so early.
God works in mysterious ways.
I don't have the words, James. Your strength and fortitude are amazing. Wishing you and your sweetheart the very best. :smile:

·
Administrator
143,475 Posts
Extremely fortunate that was caught early.
Hoping that she has a quick recovery with the very minimum amount of discomfort.

I have learned (from years of Moderating this forum) that our members are compassionate as well as completely understanding as long as the do not feel like they are left hanging in the Ozone.

So.... fantastic that you "touched base" and kept them informed.

Right now, you have more important things to handle than making holsters.

A ton of members here will be plugging for you and yours. You can be certain of that. :yup:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Hope the treatments go well and she heals fast.

This was not the week for a leaky roof either. Stay dry up there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We sure never thought her epilepsy would end up saving her life thats for sure, the doctors said the epilepsy was the reason for the blood that caught the cancer so early.
God works in mysterious ways.
I recall a phone conversation we had quite a few years ago when there was an issue with an order and you explained that your wife was going thru a bad spell with her illness and just how sincerely apologetic you were during the conversation and assured me that you would make it right.

You corrected the issue, got the product back to me in short order and again were apologetic. I won’t soon forget how evident it was that you not only sometimes have to care for your wife many hours a day, but that if there were more than 24 hrs in a day you would be in the shop trying to catch up.

Now you guys have to deal with this newest issue on top of everything else throughout the years.

Now, I’m not a religious man, but I know that you are a special human being and both your wife and yourself are in my thoughts. I sincerely hope that she kicks this cancers azz and that you two have many more years together.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just came across this thread as I was seeking advice on a holster and James, I want to let you know that I am praying for your wife to recover completely and for strength for you and your family to support each other while your wife is recovering. When you're more caught up we can have a chat about holsters. You and the Lord have more important business to attend to now. I will wait and get some more practice so that when I get one of your holsters and carry, I will be proficient enough to carry full time. One question, do any of the shops in Connecticut (Central North part) carry your products so I can begin trying them on? I have a H-K VP9 sk currently. You can reach me at [email protected] when you're ready... I'm not in a rush, so no worries. Thanks and God Bless... Linda

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,619 Posts
I just have to hook up the air compresses tomorrow and get to cutting and molding everything I can on both Saturday and Sunday then I will be moving on the the next steps next week, I may be a little slow at first as I am going to be working on a lot at first but hope to start having orders going out in the next 2 weeks.

We have a total of three family members coming in to help out with my wife with one family member moving in with us for a while to hep free me up some to work on orders.
My wife had a few problems with the surgery to put the port in but everything is going good with it now and she has started chemo and radiation on Thursday 6/14/2018.
Unfortunately the chemo made her sick right of the bat (chemo will be once a week) radiation seems to wipe her out so far and it is everyday, please keep her in your prayers.
My cell does not get good service in the shop so if you need to contact me then email is probably the best way right now.

·
Vendor
1,619 Posts
Just came across this thread as I was seeking advice on a holster and James, I want to let you know that I am praying for your wife to recover completely and for strength for you and your family to support each other while your wife is recovering. When you're more caught up we can have a chat about holsters. You and the Lord have more important business to attend to now. I will wait and get some more practice so that when I get one of your holsters and carry, I will be proficient enough to carry full time. One question, do any of the shops in Connecticut (Central North part) carry your products so I can begin trying them on? I have a H-K VP9 sk currently. You can reach me at [email protected] when you're ready... I'm not in a rush, so no worries. Thanks and God Bless... Linda

There was one gun shop who carried a few one off items I had made, I have not been able to get or stay caught up enough to be able to have any of my holsters in stock any where. I am still taking orders and still saying 8 - 10 weeks on my lead times cause as long as I can get freed up to work it really shouldn't take me long to catch back up but please know I may be off on that lead time if things go wrong or get worse with my wife (God willing this wont happen)
I do not have good cell service in the shop so contacting me by email is the best way to contact me right now.
I do have a mold gun for your H-K VP9 sk but I dont have it in my gun list - I have about 300 more mold guns than I have listed on my website right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I certainly will pray for your wife and family. There are many different drugs now that help with the chemo nausea as you know from being in the nursing profession (I'm a retired pharmacist) God bless you and your family. I'm glad to hear that you're going to have some help. The caregivers need care too, so be mindful to take care of yourself and eat well and I know you thank God that you're wife's cancer was caught at an early enough stage that treatment is possible and hopefully will be curative. Be well and an extra hug for your wife
I just have to hook up the air compresses tomorrow and get to cutting and molding everything I can on both Saturday and Sunday then I will be moving on the the next steps next week, I may be a little slow at first as I am going to be working on a lot at first but hope to start having orders going out in the next 2 weeks.

We have a total of three family members coming in to help out with my wife with one family member moving in with us for a while to hep free me up some to work on orders.
My wife had a few problems with the surgery to put the port in but everything is going good with it now and she has started chemo and radiation on Thursday 6/14/2018.
Unfortunately the chemo made her sick right of the bat (chemo will be once a week) radiation seems to wipe her out so far and it is everyday, please keep her in your prayers.
My cell does not get good service in the shop so if you need to contact me then email is probably the best way right now.

·
Registered
34,754 Posts
I have Barrett's esophagus, a precursor to esophageal cancer, so it is never very far from my mind. Best wishes for a complete recovery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like I said, I'm not in any hurry... If it helps, I only learned to shoot a few months ago and I have waited this long to learn, I can wait a few months to get a holster. I'm not even sure what I want. I don't wear a belt but I'd like to get a nice leather holster that's comfortable for iwb. I'm kinda short 5' and about 120 lbs and I shoot right handed. Since you custom make your holster, is there a possibility of putting a clip of some kind onto the holster so I can put it on the waistband of my jeans.. I have tried on the kydex kind but they cut into my skin a bit. When I saw that you make the most comfortable iwb holsters ever, I thought you'd be a great place to start. Nobody really has anything stock in the stores for my vp9sk so I was figuring on buying a custom holster anyway. No rush, James, so that's just what I was thinking about what I'd need. Probably something on the slim side so I could use the looser jeans I already have. Thanks James..
There was one gun shop who carried a few one off items I had made, I have not been able to get or stay caught up enough to be able to have any of my holsters in stock any where. I am still taking orders and still saying 8 - 10 weeks on my lead times cause as long as I can get freed up to work it really shouldn't take me long to catch back up but please know I may be off on that lead time if things go wrong or get worse with my wife (God willing this wont happen)
I do not have good cell service in the shop so contacting me by email is the best way to contact me right now.
I do have a mold gun for your H-K VP9 sk but I dont have it in my gun list - I have about 300 more mold guns than I have listed on my website right now.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
...It really means alot to me.
Then we're all square my Brother James, cuz' you mean a lot to us too! :yup:

Our Heavenly Father's richest blessings on you & yours. :engel03:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts