Defensive Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SEE NEXT POST ON THIS THREAD FOR FINAL UPDATE

I'ts been a year and a half or more since I bought this Kimber. My initial thread(s) about the experience were sad and negative. It is a gorgeous gun, but at first I couldn't use it. Gramps took it to the Wed. group and the guys thought it was super great. So, it was ME.

I put three layers of plastic "shims" under each grip panel and that helped a lot, but still had a major problem with trying to get and keep my grip tight enough to keep this gun happy. The only problem with that much plastic is that the grip screws don't go very far in and I have to check the screws after each shooting session because they want to walk out - even though they have blue locktite on them.

Two days ago I took her to the range and had the best experience so far. Perhaps the gun is getting broken in (It IS a Kimber) and perhaps I'm getting better at gripping her, but I only had 2 slide lock backs mid-magazine. No stovepipes - hooray! I shot 28 rounds - 4 mags, and one of my friends shot one magazine. Friend had no problems. It is not the gun. It's me, and the gun is well worth my effort to keep using her until the gun and I become better friends! She will go with me the next time I go to the range and then she will get a good cleaning again.

And recently I wrote a long thread about the SIG P365 380 I bought but which I knew I could never get to work for me. I can't explain the difference between the Kimber that I kept to continue working with and the SIG that I knew full well would never work for me, but I knew it. My friend Rita, who bought the SIG from me, is having a BALL with her - no problems at all, and she shot 40 or 50 rounds in that session - maybe 60?. I was busy shooting so didn't count how many times she reloaded her 2 magazines. She has more magazines coming.

And so it goes. It is good.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Final update on the Kimber Raptor.

I kept trying to learn to use that gun because it was the most beautiful gun I've ever owned. (me, not someone else). I have to wear gloves when I shoot, and I just could NOT grip this one tight enough to keep it from getting stovepipes after 2 or 3 rounds. One time I got through a whole 7 round magazine, but that was a fluke.

I bought extra magazines for it and extra springs. Shouldn't have done that, but I try to get what I will need, especially for guns that have been discontinued. Anyway, to Ol' Dave's it went on consignment. I knew I would take a loss but was not going to just give it away. They sort of questioned how much I wanted and I told them I had done the research and the few I could find on line would cost noticeably more than what I was asking - even with adding their +10% consignment fee. So there it sat, for "several" weeks.

Last week I got a phone call saying they sold the Kimber. Glory Be and Hallelujah!

While I was there I tried one more time to find another .22 pistol that I would enjoy shooting, but as usual, no joy. There is just nothing that comes close to the two M&P .22 compacts and the Browning 1911-22 that I have and shoot well. (In previous posts I mentioned that the Ruger Mark IV I bought now belongs to Gramps who is having much fun with it.) It is a very good thing that I really don't need another .22 because I've tried every single one in all of the stores. There are people who "love" one or another of various brands and sizes - but I hate them, and so be it.

Then, not to be outdone, Gramps had a Glock 40 cal on consignment at Ol' Dave's for months and it was still there since .40 cal is out of style again in our area, so he looked around and found a Girsan .45 that he thinks will be just dandy. Most of those Turkish guns seem to be a good value for the money. They traded him even, and he was happy. It's sure a nice looking gun. It has a red dot on it and Gramps says that works. He took the gun apart and says it's really clean inside. NO box, no manual, etc. - just the gun. I was going to get the manual on line for him but he says it's a 1911 and takes apart like the other 1911's so he doesn't need a manual.

And life goes on. It's all good.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
So it goes. Some guns are not meant for some people.

I got rid of my Ruger Mark II because it was such a pain to dis-assemble and clean. I loved shooting the gun, but cleaning it made me want to kill the engineers who designed it. For my mental health it had to go. I'll be honest, I could never get the trick down to make the process easy.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
So glad you got that settled. I’m going to wait a bit and try another Kimber Micro 380, if I can’t find a 911 around. Had a line on a Colt Mustang XPS 380, but just too high for a pistol with no customer service at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts